Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 25, 2024, 10:41:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The popularity of bullfighting  (Read 21563 times)
utopiacowboy
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: The popularity of bullfighting, posted by soltero on Jan 9, 2005

I had a ranch in Texas for many years and from time to time I would have to kill an animal. A rabid racoon, a dog killing livestock, a "downer" cow etc. I hated doing it.
Ray
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to The popularity of bullfighting, posted by zack on Jan 9, 2005

He jabbed the sword into the bull's side? That's strange.

In the bullfights I've seen, they always insert the sword from the top, between the shoulder blades.

Ray

zack
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: The popularity of bullfighting, posted by Ray on Jan 9, 2005

[This message has been edited by zack]

You are probably right. I don't recall exactly where the sword is inserted.
I just remember it being somewhere in the thorax near the spine.
Pete E
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to The popularity of bullfighting, posted by zack on Jan 9, 2005

I went to my first and only bullfight in Cali 4 years ago.
There were 2 matadors from France and Spain and they took almost zero chances,by the time they did any passes the bull was so tired and also stabbed in the neck to keep him from tossing his head he could hardly move.My friends and I said we never need to do this again.
Then a Cali Matador,Ramiro Cadena got out there and took the bull on when he was fresh.He had only ran around the stadium about once.Cadena got down on his knees and held the cape out and the bull went by about 30 MPH and slid out trying to turn around.I must admit that part was exciting and he showed up the European guys big time.
But of course the bull lost,its almost guaranteed.I found myself rooting for the bull.A bull did get one of the picador guys,tossed him uo in the air about 15 ft.The guy got up like no problem,but it had to hurt.
There are banners painted on walls around Cali knocking bull fighting.I think only 4 countries still allow it.It probably will be gone in 20 years.
I also went to a cock fight,really pretty boring.Theese skinny little roosters,looked like 5 lbs.But the guys were betting on them.One guy jumped in the ring and rolled around on the ground after his rooster won.
I can't get very empathetic about a chicken,or even a bull.But I love dogs,I think they have very human like emotions.And I can't stand to here them cry.Dog fighting does bother me.
When we were looking for the Plaza DeToros we got lost.There were girls with banners complaining about bull fighting.I told my friend to ask them,they would know where the bull arena is.
For me it was a once in a lifetime experience.I don't plan on doing it again.
Is this in there with save the seals? Not quite,its for intertainment,not for the fur,a whole different thing.
How about hunting?As a boy growing up in Idaho I hunted alot.It was a main form of sport.And of course it is killing for intertainment.If you needed the food and it was actually cheaper than buying it you might convince me its foor the food.Basically its klling animals for intertainment.Now when we get in to animals that will kill you,I lose all empathy.I think any mountain lion that gets within 5 miles of a major population area should be shot on site.

Pete

Ricardo
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Zack,
I have not seen a bullfight live, neither would I want to.  The closest I came was a televised event, and that was gruesome.  I don't think you can call it sport, especially when the bull is weakened right from the start, having been speared seveal times mostly around the neck and head (by picadores on horseback), before the matador(translated from spanish means 'killer') gets his turn.  It's truly barbaric...
I have asked a few colombianas about their reactions/ie. their opinions.  In general they detest it.  A calena remarked that it is a  sport of the snobs, indicating this with hand and facial gestures....she seemed to be saying that the sport is still favored and witnessed primarily by the upperclass, ....
zack
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: The popularity of bullfighting, posted by Ricardo on Jan 9, 2005

Is bullfighting more popular among the upper class because of the cost of the tickets? I don't remember what they cost. I don't understand why there would be a correlation between socioeconomic class and the favortism of bullfighting besides that. I'm not disagreeing with you- just not sure why that would be true.
soltero
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: The popularity of bullfighting, posted by zack on Jan 9, 2005

If I were to guess what the correlation would be is that the more wealthy the person, the more disconnected from real life they are. Anyone who has had to suffer would probably be rooting for the bull.
WS244
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

One should go to a slaughterhouse sometime, and see how one' favorite steak is put in a long line, with a shot to the head, one at a time,
and then their throats cut to drain the blood.

If one ever raised their own chickens, one kills their grilled chicken lunch by breaking their pretty little neck.

The mexicans eat dog because they are cheap, and worth more as food, than as a mans best friend.

let us not try and put our gringo values on our latin neighbors, the last thing we need are more U. S. politically correct societies in this world, where a woman has more rights than a man, and animals for that matter it now appears.
ws  

utopiacowboy
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: The popularity of bullfighting, posted by WS244 on Jan 9, 2005

There is a vast difference between the slaughterhouse and hunting and bullfighting. I lived on a Texas ranch for many years and I had to kill my share of animals. I didn't torture them first for entertainment. Some things are just plain barbaric and bullfighting is one of them. I'd like to see one of those matadors ride one of those bulls for 8 seconds. That requires a REAL MAN!
OkieMan
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Zack,
 I totally agree with you, and I am sure that most if not all of the posters on this board also agree.  Most civilizations, in all parts of the world, have had, or are still participating in these barbaric forms of entertainment.  I really enjoyed the movie Gladiator.  Not because I got off on the violence, but it, in fact, showed how truly barbaric the Roman Empire was; and they did not have a corner on the market in the Ancient World.  I live in Oklahoma, and our state just recently outlawed cockfighting.  Up until then, it was still legal.  I think this so called "sport" is absolutely barbaric; just like the bull fighting and the others already mentioned on this thread.  To close, I would like to ask the more experienced guys if any of the latinas that they have known actually wanted to go to a bull fight?  I may be wrong, but I don't think that we would positively impress a latina, if we suggested to take her to one.  But, I could be wrong.  So, anyone have any stories concerning the girls?  How about "mud wrestling"?  Just kidding!

OkieMan

zack
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: The popularity of bullfighting, posted by OkieMan on Jan 9, 2005

Okieman,

At least mankind is making some moral progress, going from killing people for entertainment to only killing animals for entertainment.

If you ever want a Latina to stop calling you but you don't want to hurt her feelings, tell her that you absolutely love bullfights. Chances are she'll lose interest in you and she won't feel rejected. Shocked)

Zack

utopiacowboy
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: The popularity of bullfighting, posted by OkieMan on Jan 9, 2005

Any Latina I have ever encountered hates it.
Payton
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Even if it is not loosing popularity I would not attend.  I know I am a woos!  It is actually pretty barbaric the whole scenario!  The bull dies even if it wins and gores the matadore.  GO BULLS!  As for dog fighting that gets me so mad!  I own a dog that is on most lists of dogs apartments in Las Vegas won't allow, because they ruled the eastern world of dog fighting and hunting before the Pittbull showed up in china!  The idiots that actually participate in dog fighting give many awesome breeds of dogs bad reps and breed the wrong traits into the animal hence making them dangerous.  To make my point I trust my dog more than most idiotic humans!  She has be around so many small children that smack her in the butt and pull her tail and has never even growled!  Sorry to go amnesty international on this site but I realy think all animal fighting should be illegal and punishable by all spectators and participants put to death!  Perhaps it is the fact that I did way too much research on Animal fighting after owning my dog and wanting to get to the root of the rumors on my pup.  More to tell idiots that told me my dog was going to be vicious that they can stick it!  If you want to see the most inhumane sport ever look at bull and bear baiting.  They actually bet that their dog will be the one that strikes the fatal blow on a Bear that has been declawed and his teeth pulled out before the fight ever begins!  REAL FAIR HUH!  Makes me think that some people have a real twisted idea of what entertainment is.
Bueller
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by Bueller]

Bueller
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by Bueller]

Bullfighting is losing popularity in Spain, so it wouldn´t surprise me if it were losing popularity in Colombia as well. Your description of it is superficial and somewhat erroneous-- if you don´t like it, fine, but you are not really describing it accurately or in much depth, unless the Colombian version is significantly different from the many bullfights I saw in Spain. Comparing it to dogfighting and cockfighting would not be accurate either, not that you really did.
 I have never taken much interest at all in spectator sports, but I found bullfighting to be fascinating. I´d gladly attend again.

Bullfighting schedule for Colombia:
http://www.portaltaurino.com/colombia/index.htm  . Looks like they have a lot of Spanish bullfighters, including Julián López, "El Juli" in Bogotá on Feb 13. If you want to see ballsy, spectacular bullfighting, he's one to see.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: