Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 25, 2024, 10:49:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The popularity of bullfighting  (Read 21564 times)
potman
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Make it a fair fight....to increase popu..., posted by Hoda on Jan 10, 2005

or better yet, why don't they just drug the bull fighter
and leave the bull alone I am sure they could find something down there to drug him.
Ray
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Make it a fair fight....to increase popu..., posted by Hoda on Jan 10, 2005

LOL!

And how about if the matador has to be bare-assed naked and have his nuts and schlong painted bright red. And make the cape the size of a handkerchief.

That should even things up a bit... :-)

Ray

zack
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by zack]

I heard that some of those rodeo bulls have a tense rope tied to their nuts which the rider pulls to piss them off even more and make it a more challenging ride. Is this true? If yes, no wonder they jump around like maniacs! I would too!

Imagine putting these rodeo bulls into the bullfighting arena. All the matadors and 50,000 fans would be running for their lives. Now THAT is something I would want to see. In the end, I would be throwing roses at the bull Shocked)

Zack

utopiacowboy
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to I have a better idea...lol, posted by zack on Jan 10, 2005

That reminds me of a little rodeo I went to once in Rocksprings, Texas. They usually have a dance that starts after the rodeo and a bunch of stands with carnival-type games for the kids. During the bullriding one of the bulls tossed his rider and then promptly jumped out the arena. You should have seen the scurrying outside the arena as the bull ran through the stands and the dance. Now that was rodeo! I guess he was hoping to meet a good looking cow at the dance.
Hoda
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: I have a better idea...lol, posted by utopiacowboy on Jan 10, 2005

The Bull in question, quickly dispatched the fool on his back & proceeded to tear shit up by destroying part of the seating & punting patrons all over the place....

Priceless....

OkieMan
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

I guess that would be Pedro's trip to PBR?  What a hoot!
But, I think that all of us agree that we don't like to see any animals being  abused or killed for sport.  I am not an animal rights activists either, but I never could stand seeing anyone mistreat any type of animal.  To me, that's sick!
                       OkieMan
Red Clay
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

It's called a flank strap. The bullrope that the rider holds is a different piece. As the bull leaves the chute, you will often see someone on the ground pulling the flank strap tight. Claim is that the strap is not positioned on the genitals, not sure on that :0
valleydude
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to The popularity of bullfighting, posted by zack on Jan 9, 2005

Yeah I am totally against it too.
Thanks for the visual. I wish I didn't read this thread, but it gave me an idea of how graphic it could be.
I have only seen 5 or 10 second clips on TV. You know, where the Matador gets speared or there was a close call.

Anyway, on Chirstmas I was at my friends who are Philipino.
The subject of cock fighting came up and they are really into it. The one guy actually raises Roosters for the sport and out of curiosity I asked some questions...

He gets $3000.00 dollars for each and says his farm has thousands on it. I'm not sure if it's true, but I just couldn't beleive it. He also says they put blades on the Roosters legs, so when it kicks it can cut the other.

Well this is probably not news for most, but it was to me.

V-Dude

utopiacowboy
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to The popularity of bullfighting, posted by zack on Jan 9, 2005

A lot of animal rights activists like to protest the sport of rodeo but rodeo animals are very well-taken care of compared to what happens with the bulls in bullfighting. I have a lot of respect for bullriders and the rodeo clowns who protect them but I don't have much for matadors. Interestingly enough many people in Latin American countries hate bullfighting. My Colombian wife hates it and would like to see it outlawed.
Red Clay
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: The popularity of bullfighting, posted by utopiacowboy on Jan 9, 2005

Are you a PBR fan by chance? My wife LOVES it, can't get enough. I'm not sure she knew it even existed before coming here. We usually catch'em when they come here, although Nashville is not on the schedule for 2005 for some reason:(
utopiacowboy
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: The popularity of bullfighting--..., posted by Red Clay on Jan 9, 2005

I'm a rodeo fan. Period. The calf roping and team roping are really my favorites but you gotta have a ton of respect for the bullriders, steer wrestlers and bucking bronc riders. Those guys are men.
OkieMan
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: The popularity of bullfighti..., posted by utopiacowboy on Jan 9, 2005

Amen.  Hey Bill, I got to meet one of my heros a little over 10 years ago.  Back when I was in the radio business, I got to meet and interview Ben Johnson.  That was in 1994, and he died in 1996.  My ex-wife and I were friends of his family.  I knew his sister and her husband.  But, the one that my ex and I were good friends with was his nephew, Dale Christenson.  Ben grew up in Pawhuska, Ok, and they still have the Ben Johnson rodeo there each year.  It is much smaller than some of the bigger events and places, but it meant alot to me to have met such a fine man.  Interviewing him was fun, and he was very friendly!  I certainly have always enjoyed seeing him in all of those westerns over the years; especially with him and the Duke!

OkieMan

P.S.  He told me that he was the only man to be both a World Champion Rodeo Star and also an actor who won an Academy Award.  Boy, could he ride a horse!

utopiacowboy
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: The popularity of bullfi..., posted by OkieMan on Jan 10, 2005

I did not know that Ben Johnson came from Pawhuska. I lived in Bartlesville for several years - some beautiful country out that way between Bartlesville and Ponca City. I agree - you were very lucky to have met him. He was the real deal! I love the little rodeos - a lot more than the big city rodeos where most people just go for the concerts that they have in conjunction with the rodeo.
OkieMan
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The popularity of bu..., posted by utopiacowboy on Jan 10, 2005

Wow, I had no idea that you had lived in Bartlesville in the past.  My ex and I lived in Nowata.  She grew up there.  I grew up in Muskogee.  What a small world.  All I knew about you was where you live now.  That is wild.  Well, I really did enjoy meeting Ben Johnson.  I still have the interview tape I made of my interview with him.  I also got his autograph, but my one regret is that we did not bring a camera that day, so no picture of me and Ben Johnson. Well, well, what a hoot.  My ex still lives in Nowata.  Actually, I should say, my second ex.  My first ex, the mother of my boys is from Eufaula, and she remarried and lives between Eufaula and Stigler.
Tell your wife I said hi.  You guys take care.

OkieMan

soltero
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Anyone who takes pleasure in watching something die has never had to kill anything or has never seen death upclose. If they have and still enjoy it, there is something seriously off there. Everything has it's place, including death, but to kill for entertainment is a purely human invention, and not one I would say that I am very proud of.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: