Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 25, 2024, 11:14:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The popularity of bullfighting  (Read 21566 times)
zack
« on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

I recently heard that bullfighting is losing popularity in Colombia. Is that true? I hope it is. I hope I don't sound like an over-sensitive animal-lover by saying this, but I attended my first and last bullfight in Cali 5 years ago. I knew it  wasn't for the faint-hearted, but I underestimated how cruel it really is. As each bullfight appraoched the finish, the matador delivered the fatal blow by jabbing a sword (completely) into the bull's side, piercing the bull's heart. The bull then ran around the arena in pain as blood gushed from it's mouth. It then keeled over, still alive, as the matador finished him off by jabbing a knife into the bull's skull, scrambling his brains. The dead bull was then dragged away by a pair of horses. Within seconds, another bull ran onto the scene, having no idea what he is in for. They killed at least 10 bulls total.

The bulls have it easy compared to some animals here in the states. I was recently invited to attend a chicken fight. I refused. As I'm sure you know, the chickens basically attack eachother to death. The last chicken standing wins, similar to dogfighting. I heard that some people bet hundreds of thousands of dollars on these fights. Doesn't this make you wonder what kind of people truly enjoy this? These people scare me.

I am not an animal rights activist. I don't even own a pet.  I just think that these matadors, which many hail as heroes, don't deserve the title. Yes, they have balls, but they are not heroes in my book. And anyone who truly enjoys chicken or dogfights must be missing a screw.

Zack

surfscum
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to The popularity of bullfighting, posted by zack on Jan 9, 2005

Interesting that Hemingway and Pamplona haven't worked into this. I ran with the bulls in 2001 and witnessed those monsters up close and personal. The Spaniards have a fine sense of spectacle and each day of the run the bulls come from a different ranch and are bigger than the previous day's. By the end of the week, those bulls weigh 1500 lbs or more. What is not as well known about the running is that once they have corraled the bulls, all the runners who followed them into the arena are allowed to stay in for a hour or so while they let out young bulls and steers with their horns taped. What they lack in weight and ability to gore, they make up with their energy! They let them run loose in the ring for about 10 minutes before they herd it back into the corral.

While I can't watch an animal killed for sport, I do appreciate the nerves and skill of the matador. The bull has to be worn down so that the matador can get in close and make the kill. That is the job of the toreador, etc. Once he is worn down, the bull carries his head lower, thus exposing more of his neck. The matador is supposed to insert the sword through a particular vertebra that guides the sword directly into the heart. When done well and properly, I don't think the bull suffers much, not much more than what happens to a butchered cow. (I forgot about the spear thrust from the jinetero, so I may be wrong.)

The irony is that the Spaniards revere these animals so much so that you are not supposed to touch them in the running. The gringos that dare pull the tail, etc., can be cited by the police or worse. I have a video of one cowboy grabbing the young bull in the arena and choke-holding it to the ground. He was promptly beat up by the Spaniards. The matador is held to a rigid code of how to perform and if he flinches or handles the sword poorly, he will be remembered and his reputation will follow him.

BenKramer1
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to The popularity of bullfighting, posted by zack on Jan 9, 2005

Luz Amparo's partner, Maritza, told me many years ago they used to light a cow on fire and let run around town. They did for the Festival of Lights which is the start of the Christmas season in Cali or maybe all of Colombia. Now they just have two people put on a cow costume and run around town that way. In both cases they call it The Crazy Cow.

I am sure that many  people saw this as cruel and inhumane teatment and thats why that  type of celebration was discontinued.

Ben

Jeff S
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

An American touring Spain stopped at a local restaurant following a day of sightseeing. While sipping his sangria, he noticed a sizzling, scrumptious looking platter being served at the next table. Not only did it look good, the smell was wonderful.

He asked the waiter, "What is that you just served?"

The waiter replied, " Ah senor, you have excellent taste! Those are bulls testicles from the bull fight this morning. A delicacy!"

The American, though momentarily daunted, said, "What the hell, I'm on vacation! Bring me an order!"

The waiter replied, "I am so sorry senor. There is only one serving per day because there is only one bull fight each morning. If you come early tomorrow and place your order, we will be sure to save you this delicacy!"

The next morning, the American returned, placed his order, and then that evening he was served the one and only special delicacy of the day. After a few bites, and inspecting the contents of his platter, he called to the waiter and said...

"These are delicious, but they are much, much smaller than the ones I saw you serve yesterday!"

The waiter shrugged his shoulders and replied, "Si senor. Sometimes the bull wins."

Red Clay
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Speaking of matadors having cojones...., posted by Jeff S on Jan 10, 2005

LMAO!
Hoda
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by Hoda]

Instead of those drugged-up, beat-up, skinny assed baby bulls that one would normally see at these bullfights. They should use REAL BULLS.....like the ones the bull-riders take on, at the rodeo's here! While we're at it, attach some real sharp meat cleavers to the bull's horns. Oh yeah...no hiding behind those barriers either. Those matadors might as well be wearing "tu-tu's", once they come face to face with their new & improved opponent!

If the FOX network starts to show promo's of this modified bullfighting...y'all are my witnesses that the idea was originally mine...lol

Pete E
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Make it a fair fight....to increase popu..., posted by Hoda on Jan 10, 2005

The Brahma bulls they ride in the rodeo are usually content to just go back in the pen.Maybe thats when they feed them.Sometimes they will take one pass at the rider.
Very rarely someone like Lane Frost gets killed.They also do a little game where these guys pretend to play poker as the bull charges them.Last one sitting at the table wins.Thats more exciting.
The bullfight bulls will go for anything and anybody.Much nastier.
But to counter that the main thing they do,besides tire them out is stab them in the neck,the guy on the padded horse does that.So if they want to wear them out enough its not very exciting or risky.Just skipping the wearing them out and stabbing them in the neck would make it even enough they would lose more bullfighters.
I think the object is to have it appear dangerous,not actually be dangerous.

Pete

OkieMan
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Rodeo Bulls, posted by Pete E on Jan 10, 2005

Hey Pete,
I did not realize that you were into rodeos.  I am not a cowboy per se, but I am from Oklahoma, and Lane Frost was too.  In fact, even though Oklahoma is a much smaller State than our neighbor to the south, or some others; we have alot of big name cowboys that have come out of here.  We also have a lot of race horses, cutting horses, and about any other type of horse you want, including thoroughbreds.  As many of you are probably aware, the formerly named "Cowboy Hall of Fame" is located in Oklahoma City. It is now call the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, or something like that.  It has been expanded on over the years.  If any of you fellows  like rodeos, cowboys, western movies and TV shows, etc;  this is one heck of a place to go!  That's just a little commercial from me to you.  Later.

OkieMan

utopiacowboy
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Rodeo Bulls, posted by OkieMan on Jan 10, 2005

There's nothing like mistaking an Oklahoman for a Texan. Or an eastern New Mexican for that matter. They have their pride and rightly so.
Pete E
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Rodeo Bulls, posted by OkieMan on Jan 10, 2005

I like bull riding.The rest of the rodeo bores me.One of my relatives from Oregon is a  world class calf roper,or was.I pull up the family name I see him alot there.As a kid you had to wait the whole rodeo to see the bull riding,maybe 8 rides.Now they have bull riding events that go on for three days.I guess if you weren't already aware of Lane Frost they did a TV movie on him plus he was part of the Garth Brooks video "I wouldn't have missed it for the world" was the title I think. Its not likely you will get killed bull riding but lots of guys get injured.The guys dressed as clowns that distract the bulls from the riders,thats a tougher job.I saw a bull just flip his head up and catch one with a horn under the chin,knocked him cold.
Or when a rider gets hung up in the rope and 3 guys are flying around in circles trying to get the guy lose.
I like Adriano Morales,bull rider from Brazil.He was best in the world about 5 years ago,faded a little recently.

Pete

utopiacowboy
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Rodeo Bulls, posted by Pete E on Jan 10, 2005

I can understand why the normal person finds the roping a little boring. If you've ever had to learn to rope a cow from a horse, you get a much finer appreciation of what's involved.
slojas1
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Rodeo Bulls, posted by utopiacowboy on Jan 10, 2005

:+)Rodeo

Two cowboys were sitting in a bar Texas when one asked his
friend if he had heard of the new sex position called rodeo.

His friend says. "No, what is it?"

"Well you mount your wife from the back, reach around and
cup her breasts with both hands."

Then say, "Boy, those are almost as big as your sisters."

"Then see if you can hold on for 8 seconds."

utopiacowboy
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Rodeo Riding , posted by slojas1 on Jan 11, 2005

n/t
Pete E
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Rodeo Bulls, posted by Pete E on Jan 10, 2005

The Garth Brooks song and video was called "The Dance",
the song of his I liked best.The video also had shots of JFK  and John Wayne in it.I liked the line " some things are better left unknown."

Pete

Pete E
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Correction, posted by Pete E on Jan 10, 2005

I haven't seen a PBR event since moving to Colombia.Just one of the things you give up here.They didn't even show the second play off game yesterday on direct tv.My other favorite sport is boxing,I get very little of it here.I used to be able to tell you who was the best at any weight.No more.
But soccer they got,seems like 24-7,365 days a year.I guess they have their priorities.In the states any sport going year round would get old.But here its about all they got for sport so they love it.

Pete

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: