Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 25, 2024, 11:13:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K1 vs K3, etc  (Read 5230 times)
OkieMan
« on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Pardon me gentlemen, but I want to ask a "logical" question. This also might turn out to be just a "gripe session" too, but here goes. Wouldn't it make more sense for each of these LA countries to make the paperwork easier if a gringo actually wants to marry one of their female citizens?  I mean we know that it is often a "love-hate" relationship with other countries and the US anyhow.  For instance, all of the immigration problems being discussed all of the time, especially concerning our border States, ie California, Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico; and that's not counting the flood of illegals coming up from Cuba, DR, and Haiti into Florida.  Now, that is the illegal stuff.  But, we are talking about guys like us that fall in love with these ladies, and want to make them our wives.  I mean, we are being very upfront with our "honorable" intentions.  So, wouldn't it make sense for the respective LA countries involved to want to make it easier for the lady to immigrate here, after you marry the woman, than before?(ie Fiance Visa?)  I know some of you more experienced guys have said that it kind of goes back and forth.  I guess alot depends on the traffic at the time, the States involved, etc.  But, just in broad general terms, doesn't this seem to be upside down thinking?  Now, that I have said that, I'm sure we can all chime in about how stupid the federal governement can be about alot of things!  But, let's just limit it to this particular point.  At this time, I am not concerning myself with this, but as all of you can see; there are some guys trying to bring back either their wives, or novias, as we speak.  Also, I know that Kented just brought his wife and step-children to Phoenix.  So, I hope that I am communicating my intended question well.  Let me know.

OkieMan

roadken
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to K1 vs K3, etc, posted by OkieMan on Jan 9, 2005

If they gave visa easily for Colombian's,probably 20% of the population would leave in a two year period.Our government is the one making things hard.Mostly,it is time consuming.From application to arrival in the states took us
9 months & 2 weeks.In a way it helped because my wife and I got to know each other better and resolve some issues.Let's face it,would you marry someone from the US in these time frames?I didn't think so.
Ray
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Okie,

I don’t think it’s really a question of other countries making it difficult to marry their women. I was married in the Philippines and I had to get an affidavit from the American Consulate swearing that I was not married and free to legally marry. That cost $55 and took about 2 hours. Then we applied for a marriage license, which included a 10-day waiting period, a pre-marriage seminar, a family planning counseling session, and a fee of $10. Except for the affidavit from the consulate, the requirements were Exactly the same as for two Filipino Nationals. The Philippine govt. also requires new brides or fiancées emigrating overseas to attend an informational seminar that takes about 3 hours.

You also asked: “…why would our own govt want it to be easier for us to bring a fiance here than a lady we have already married in whatever country”. Actually, the requirements for a fiancée visa and a spousal visa are almost identical in that she still needs an interview, the same medical exam, must satisfy the public charge issues, and must prove a valid relationship. The processing times and fees involved are different, but I would not say that it is “easier” to bring in a fiancée.

One of the main reasons that the process has gotten more difficult and time consuming is because of rampant visa fraud, so I think much of the blame should be directed at your fellow countrymen and their choice of mates who thought they were too good to follow the rules. In some countries, it is comparatively fast and easy to process a spousal visa. For example in Hong Kong, I know guys who got married there and completed ALL processing for a visa in less than a week total so that their new bride could fly back home with them. Why is it faster over there than in Colombia or the Philippines? Partly because of a lower workload, but mostly because there is not nearly as much fraud going on over there.

These are just some other variables to consider…

Ray

OkieMan
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to False Assumptions?, posted by Ray on Jan 10, 2005

Ray,
Thanks for the insight.  I always enjoy hearing stories from guys who have actually gone through this process.  Since, I have not done this yet myself, I guess it is easy to get caught up in the "what ifs".   That is probably not a good idea.  At any rate, I feel that these discussions are going to allow me to be better informed about the "real deal", so that when the time comes, I will be able to take care of business.  Thanks again.

OkieMan

kented
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

It took a very frustrating year but the only people involved in the timing was the BCIS and the National Visa Center (when the visa was finally approved).  

I have done a K-1 with my ex-Colombian wife and now a K-3 and I feel that it represented more of a commitment on my part to actually get married in CR and I feel K-3 visas should be given more priority that they are.  Since I have been involved in this personally, I can't represent this as an objective opinion but that's my feeling.

OkieMan
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: K1 vs K3, etc, posted by kented on Jan 9, 2005

Kented,
You are obviously much more experienced than I am about these matters; but, that was basically what I was trying to say.  Now, here you are, a man who has actually done both the K-1 and K-3.  For you, it is not supposition.  If a man is willing actually make the commitment to marry a foreign lady; I just felt that it should be given more priority, just like you said.  Oh well, the main thing is now I have to actually find "MS Right" first.  I have been working on it, but naturally, it is not easy.  But, I don't mind that; it's the red tape that I dislike.  Thanks again.

OkieMan

utopiacowboy
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Sorry, Okieman, it's your tax dollars at work (or not at work) that make it difficult. The Latin American countries do not have a problem with their citizens marrying gringoes. The flow of dollars back home is a large contribution to the economies of many Latin American nations. There is some paperwork involved in getting a Colombian Marriage Visa but it's fairly easy to do. When I went to the Colombian consul's office in Houston, he gave me the visa while I waited in his office and joked about one of my wife's last names, Cordero. He asked me if she was my lamb. Hell yeah!
soltero
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

It seems as if you think that it is the other country that makes it difficult. If that is the case, the other country doesn't have that much to do with it. The embassy is the AMERICAN embassy in the respective countries and the process is ours, not theirs. The only time you would have to deal with their process is if you were moving THERE.
OkieMan
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: K1 vs K3, etc, posted by soltero on Jan 9, 2005

So, basically this is another way for our govt to "get on our nerves"?  Now that you mention it, when I was in Cali, I asked the ladies on staff at Latin-Internet about the process of getting passports and visas.  They said it was easy for the girls to get the passports.  It was the american govt that was holding up the deal on the visas.  I should have remembered that conversation before I wrote this email.  But, having said that, I still ask why would our own govt want it to be easier for us to bring a fiance here than a lady we have already married in whatever country?  Maybe I'm crazy, but marriage, families, solid citzens, etc; doesn't that ring a bell with these beaurocrats?  Maybe they would be happier if we all told them we were all gay, and we just loved to hang around a bunch of lesbos.  Sometimes logic just doesn't apply to life!  Oh well, back to the salt mines.

OkieMan

kented
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: K1 vs K3, etc, posted by OkieMan on Jan 9, 2005

A passport identifies you as a citizen of a country and permits you to travel and a visa is from the country you are traveling to which permits you to enter.
utopiacowboy
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

You seem to be implying that there is some guiding mind behind all this. There isn't. It's just the bureaucracy at work. As for the government "caring", they don't care.
soltero
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

It's not that hard to do if you follow the instructions to the letter. Most people who have spent time in any government job (i.e. the military for example) remember the K.I.S.S. rule. Keep it simple, stupid. People try to read between the lines or analyze what they are looking for when they tell you exactly what they want. I haven't done the fiance visa yet, but I have done the spousal visa without an attorney, and I didn't have any problems. I gave them what they wanted, no more, no less.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: