Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 29, 2024, 06:40:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: planning a trip in october  (Read 18503 times)
Ray
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to A disagreement to a Counter Opinion, posted by Jimbo on Sep 4, 2001

…try to catch the air-con express. I used both Bachelor Express and LTI(?) We caught the air-con express from Balingoan to Butuan and it was great. Good movies, single seating, cool inside, and the conductor even had ice cold San Miguel for sale in an ice chest. I think the air-con bus was P90 if I remember right. You pay a little more but it is definitely worth it!! This is another time where the bus terminal porters come in handy. For about P25, he watched our bags, and when the right bus arrived, he grabbed good seats and held them for us, then stored the bags in the cargo hold. It’s either that or fight with the old women to get on first. Those old ladies can be tough!

All the inter-city busses we rode had baggage compartments down below, so I don’t know why you had to bring them on board. That’s usually optional.

Economy busses: I rode from Olongapo to San Fernando once sitting on a rice bag with chickens pecking at my butt, so I know what you mean about the discomforts. Usually they drive so fast that you get a good breeze through the windows. But for some reason, there is always some old lady asking the conductor to close all the windows. That’s when I’ll fight them…:-)

Ray

Dave H
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to A disagreement to a Counter Opinion, posted by Jimbo on Sep 4, 2001

Hey Jimbo,

I agree with Steve too. I just haven't been able to do it without his help. ;o)) I just wanted to say that the Philippines can be easy even if you are a kitchen sink kind of guy like me and Ray. ;o)) However, I think we both come home with less than half the load. What I need to do is buy all of the pasalubong in Butuan and pretend it came over the Pacific. Maybe I can make some "Made in the USA" stickers.  ;o))

One carry-on suitcase...now I have one more thing to envy about you! ;o)) I am still trying to gather a bigger harem than yours. ;o)))

Dave "Habeeb" H.

Dave H
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to A Counter Opinion..., posted by Ray on Sep 4, 2001

Ray,

That's funny, but true about carrying pasalubong across the Pacific. I carried pasalubong and chocolate across the US and the Pacific. I'm sure the gifts were appreciated that much more and the chocolate tasted that much sweeter. ;o)) I brought some imported European chocolate that came across the Atlantic too. One of the funniest things was to watch them taste candy that they never eaten before. Marife had the strangest look when she tried a Heath bar. She thought that they tasted kind of funky. ;o)) Within a few days she grew quite fond of them.

I was amazed in LA before boarding PAL to Manila. Filipinos started unloading their balikbayan boxes and moving things around to handbags, carry-ons, and pockets, in an attempt to avoid having their over limit carry-on balikbayan boxes checked into baggage and being charged extra. Some people went ahead and paid over one hundred dollars extra for a few dollars worth of pasalubong.

It's was hard for me to travel too light to the Philippines also. If one can, that is fantastic. I always wished I could live out of a briefcase as my father often did. I couldn't find clothes or shoes in Butuan that would fit. I wear a rather petite size 11 shoe. I packed my bags to within 5 pounds of the limit. My carry-on was about 10 pounds over limit which included 4 bottles of water. My suitcases included additional items for my fiancee's sister (sent by her husband) who was visiting her family at the time I went. I was planning on placing my smaller suitcase inside my larger one for my return trip home. I decided to leave it for my fiancee's trip here. I never really had to handle my bags from Miami to Butuan City. A skycap (porter) took them in Miami when I was dropped of at the curb. My luggage went straight through to Manila. I had to take them off the belt and roll them 30 feet to the Custom's counter in Manila. A PAL employee quickly assisted me without charge. After customs was finished asking a few questions, the PAL employee returned them to the belt for transfer to my Butuan bound plane. I called the PAL guy back and slipped him a few pesos. In Butuan I had many skycaps asking to carry my bags, but I declined because I had plenty of family and hotel staff there to help with the 3 rolling bags. I was picked up at the airport by the hotel van and my bags were carried to my room. My next trip I would use the skycaps at the Butuan airport, since they are cheap, they bust their buns, and that is how they make their living. I felt bad afterward, when I found out that there are only one or two commercial planes that land there each day. In between, they must find other ways to make a living.

On the return trip (PAL), I got a cart and rolled my bags from the domestic terminal to the international terminal in Manila. Butuan doesn't have Customs, so I couldn't check my bags straight through to Miami. Manila to Miami, I didn't touch my bags. In Miami I had 6 family members to help me with 2 suitcases.

Dave H.

Jeff S
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to A Counter Opinion..., posted by Ray on Sep 4, 2001

A while back when someone mentioned picking up gifts locally when you arrive at a foreign country, I was planning to post a rebuttal, but didn't. However, now that Ray has brought it up, I think it deserves reinforcement. Bringing basically American made products, or gifts, no matter how trivial they seeem, is of far more importance than what the actual gifts are. Everywhere in the world I've been, the fact that someone goes to the trouble of bringing something all that distance far outweighs the utility, desirability, or actual value of the items. Even when I used to manage a maquiladora in Tijuana and visit there several times per month, I stop and pick up doughnuts for my girl's coffee break in San Diego. It was funny because the doughnuts in Tijuana are cheaper and better - nonetheless, they appreciated the ones from my side of the border far more. The "exotic-ness" of having the American product is the main attraction. In Japan, gift giving and receiving have a VERY complex unwritten protocall, and I can assure you that if you were American and showed up at someone's home with a Japanese gift - even an expensive or highly desirable one, it would be considered an insult. Bring it - it'll be appreciated far more. Just MNSHO.
-- Jeff S.
Dave H
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to One Modification, Ray..........., posted by SteveG on Sep 4, 2001

Steve,

Next time I go to the Philippines, I want you to come over and pack for me! ;o)) You have it down to a science. I did manage to get my load down to 2 suitcases and a carry on. A mere 150 pounds total. =8-0 There were a few times I could have used an extra arm or two. Fortunately, some stuff stayed (chocolate) and I left a suitcase for my fiancee to use. I returned home with one suitcase and a carry on. It was much more managable. One light bag would have been even better. I wish someone would invent reversable shirts and pants that stay dry and don't hold odor. How about odorless underware that you can wear for a week or two, then throw away. LOL Wait a minute...no one smells their own B O anyway....

Dave H.

SteveG
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Steve, help..., posted by Dave H on Sep 4, 2001

Dave,
 You wear underwear when you travel???  I'm shocked!  Those are precious ounces that could be shaved from your luggage!!!  At the very least using your g-string rather than more conventional undergarments could keep you decent while trimming your luggage weight.  I might even go so far as to bleach out the purple dye to save a bit of weight.... besides a change of color might do you good! Smiley

I guess I should break my packing technique into two categories depending on the purpose of the trip.  I say this because the gifts you take can easily outweigh your own personal stuff many times over - and that darned chocolate is heavy, isn't it?

When going to meet a girl for the first time I say travel as light as possible, I see no reason to take gifts other than the barest minimum.  It was important to me to know how I would be received purely based on myself as a person, not my money.   I wanted a woman who would love me and only wanted love in return no matter what our financial situation.   How can you know you found that if you never give her the chance to show it?   I think it sets a bad precedent to show up with gifts the first time you meet anyway.  No matter how cheap the gifts may seem to us, they are way beyond the means of the average Filipino family and you give the impression of being filthy rich and lose with money.  Besides it may put pressure on her to try to make the relationship work even if she doesn't have any feelings for you because she feels she owes you.  Of course there is a middle ground here and things like chocolate are not likely to ruin your life if you take them!  Smiley

On the other hand on subsequent trips, once a commitment is made or you are married, it's fun to take gifts with you to surprise everybody.   In fact, once you are married forget about ever traveling light again.  Smiley   I mentioned before, when Melly went home to visit the first time, she went before me with a friend and carried about a ton of stuff.  I followed after 2 weeks with the max baggage and even carried two 2' tall Power Rangers for our nephew.  All the trouble of carrying them around the world was worth it to see his eyes when I gave them to him.  Kids there appreciate toys so much and can eat their weight in chocolate in a short time.   I took probably 10 of the big bags of chocolate that trip.
                                  SteveG

Dave H
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Help is on the way, or is that confusion..., posted by SteveG on Sep 5, 2001

Steve,

ROFLMAO! Very funny and yet informative! My dad used to save weight and space by wearing those darn little bikini brief underwear. I always felt that they looked much better on a woman! ;o)) He didn't wear socks either. Next time I won't bring my XXL Power Ranger and Micky Mouse footy pajamas. ;o) I was thinking lime green G-string myself.

I had to bring a few presents since we had already met in our dreams. ;o)) A lot of room was taken up with a doll and musical keyboard I brought for her young niece. She now calls me "Daddy." :oD Hmmm...maybe she really means "Sugar" Daddy. $:-I

You aren't kidding about that chocolate being heavy. Getting rid of it lightened my load considerably. There was so much chocolate in the belly of that PAL 747, I was worried that the plane was going to get the Hershey squirts. 8-0

Dave H.

Ray
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Steve, help..., posted by Dave H on Sep 4, 2001

:-)
donb2222
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to One Modification, Ray..........., posted by SteveG on Sep 4, 2001

And most anything you need is dirt cheap to buy over there.
I take mostly pants and shoes.  Shirts are what I buy while there
My  mistake was taking only one pair of shoes last Summer.  I wear a size 11 1/2, and I could not find shoes larger than 10 or 10 1/2. After 4 months of being worn every day my tennis shoes fell apart and I had to wear flip-flops everywhere.
Dave H
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Travel Tips, posted by Ray on Sep 4, 2001

Like Ray says,

"And most important: just try to relax and have fun. Be humble and polite. Smile!"

I only had only came across two people that weren't very happy to see me (Muslim)in downtown Butuan. I just kept my smile, ignored them and walked on. I thought my fiancee was going to kick one guys butt. Another Filipino who appeared drunk or crazy, was starring at me with an angry look. When I smiled, he smiled back and waved, saying "Hey Joe!" Being humble takes a bit of work when all of the pretty young ladies smile and call out to you. ;o)) It takes a couple of days to realize they are talking and looking at you. They will glance at you in restaurants or in the street and quickly turn away when you look back. It became sort of a game. The hardest part is coming back to the US and being ignored. ;o))

Good luck and have a great time!

Dave H.

FilipinaCupid
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to planning a trip in october, posted by outwest77 on Sep 3, 2001

!st tip is to follow your heart & have GreaT FuN, OK?!?

A very nice gentlemen named Steven recently returned from PI and is now engaged to a very pretty woman.

He shared about his visit in one of my Romance Clubs on Yahoo and he made a webpage of tips for a good trip.  Below is it's URL

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~heraldry/page_pi_tips.html

He answers some of the questions you mentioned.

Blessings my friend and I will pray for your safety & happiness,

Jean

@^:^@

outwest77
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Tips  for  good  trip, posted by FilipinaCupid on Sep 3, 2001

hehe
thanks for the very informative site, Jean,
and dont be scared to respond to my thank yous like
you always are. Shocked)
FilipinaCupid
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to jean comes to the rescue again, posted by outwest77 on Sep 3, 2001

with a keg around my neck!!!

HeHeHe HoHoHo ArfArfArf

donb2222
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Tips  for  good  trip, posted by FilipinaCupid on Sep 3, 2001

Steven offers some great info.  The only part I disagree with
is the amount of gift-giving, it sets a bad precedent in my opinion.
Otherwise, the page offers some very good info for the first timer.

Don

Dave H
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Great web page, posted by donb2222 on Sep 3, 2001

That was a great page with lots of usefull information. I do have a few things that I did differently and a little to add. I kept the gift giving to the immediate family. I brought around 20-25 lbs of chocolate in my suitcase and they shared it with others. Most of the candy I found at the local supermarket in the Philippines and it was probably cheaper.

If you are a big dude, it will be hard to find clothes and shoes that fit. I showered and changed clothes 2-3 times each day, due to excessive sweating. It took a least a day for my clothes to dry on the clothes line. If it was raining, it took several more days before they were ready to wear. I was glad that I brought plenty of clothes.

Make sure your electric razor will operate on 220 volts. It may have a switch or you will need a power converter. Some hotels will furnish a power converter if you ask at the front desk. Filipinas didn't think that I looked like a monkey with my goatee and mustache. OK, maybe they thought that I looked like a gorilla, since I am much larger than a monkey. ;o{0=

I brought handkerchiefs to wipe off sweat, but ended up using a hand towel.

I brought cash and one Visa card. I had planned to put some of my cash and valuables in the hotel safety deposit box, but it was no longer available. I gave some of the cash to my fiancee to carry and dispense as we needed. I divided the rest up and carried it in several locations on my person. There are various places to carry money; front pockets, neck wallet, money belt, ankle wallet, in shoes, or hand bags. If money is divided between more than two or three places, it gets very confusing. I put a wide rubber band around my money and wallet so I could feel it move if someone tried to pick my pocket. I only carried a comb in my back pocket. I had a throw down wad (small amount of cash with larger bill on outside) if I was confronted by a robber with a gun. With knives, I had the option. I never felt unsafe or had a problem. I didn't go into tight crowded areas and generally maintained my space even on jeepneys. I didn't bring traveler's checks because I don't like using them. It would have been nice to have a bank account in the Philippines. Since I will be married soon, the next time I go, I will deposit most of the money into my wife's account (from US), then take it out as needed, using the ATM. I heard good and bad about using ATM's with American bank accounts.

The photos that I had developed and printed were of poor quality. But, I was using Advantix film and it was done at a super market/department store, not a professional photo center. I was able to reprint photos from the negatives using my computer and photo scanner. They were much brighter and clearer.

My American sister-in-law made a creative photo album with many colorful shapes and designs inside to take to my fiancee. She put in photos of me, my kids, family, house, and car. She included photos of me and my kids at various ages and locations. It was a big hit with everyone and gave my fiancee a better idea of what to expect in America. She treasures the album! I wish that I would have brought a video of my family and community.

Dave H.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: