Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 07:57:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the truth about the source  (Read 73783 times)
Wayne
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Spanish.....Hellooooo, posted by robbysanjuan on Feb 19, 2002

Thank you,

I can hardly speak spanish understandably, let alone spell it....  It's gonna be a long road!

yc
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Spanish.....Hellooooo, posted by Wayne on Feb 19, 2002

n/t
MarkInTx
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Spanish.....Hellooooo, posted by Wayne on Feb 19, 2002

One, Can your wife speak English? Seems to me that her speaking English is more important than your speaking spanish... look at where you live.

Two, Why would I want to learn Spanish just because I am reading this board? My lady speaks Potuguese...

robbysanjuan
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Two questions, posted by MarkInTx on Feb 19, 2002

Mark,
You are 100% right, my cousin who has here B.S., M.B.A. and C.P.A. in accounting in Puerto Rico. She can come here at anytime and the C.P.A. is valid in the U.S., of course with PR being part of the U.S. Yet she can not speak english at all. Here chances for employement here are 0. If she knew english with those credentials she would be worth mega bucks, but she is lazy. Plus her husband is moving here, he is bi lingual and speaks english with no accent. She will be at home all the time trying to learn english at 30 years old. This is America, not europe, we speak english, it is part of the culture. In Puerto Rico we were lucky enough to be schooled in both. What you do in the house is your own business, yet outside you do not want to look like an idiot. I have people in my family that have been here for 25 years and can not speak english, I think they are lost, and they are not doing well in life. As an american latino, I do not like people coming here that do not want to assimilate, because that sterotypes us as lazy immagrants, who are so arrogant that we will not learn. I spent about two years with my cousin in Spain during summers througout my high school college years. Go there and tell those guys to learn english and have bi-lingual signs and government forms.....They tell you something you will not like to hear. Bottom line is that if you chic does not learn english and want to, she will be a loser here. Be realistic what can she do? Communicate with people? no government agencies? no ok she can get a drivers license, what happens when she crashes the car and needs to talk to the cop? Hospital? Pay bills? Go to store? write checks?
MarkInTx
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Two questions -  long, posted by robbysanjuan on Feb 19, 2002

Robby,

You stated this very well. I can't think of a thing to add. You bring up an excellent point with the "You can get a driver's license, but what happens if you crash?"

One thing I have found interesting in this debate is that (I think) everyone who contributes to this board and who is from a Latin country seems to think this is a no-brainer: to succeed in the country, you must learn the language.

It seems to be the "understanding gringos" who have a tough time understanding this...

A couple of yers ago, I dated an incredible woman who was from Argentina. She came here at age five. Her father taught her english by reading her words out of a dictionary every evening and having her repeat them back to him.

Today she is one year away from her Phd and speaks three languages fluently.

I have the utmost respect for her, and my one regret is that I never met her father. (Who lives today in Agentina, btw...) He was quite a man...

robbysanjuan
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Mark,
You are 100% right, my cousin who has here B.S., M.B.A. and C.P.A. in accounting in Puerto Rico. She can come here at anytime and the C.P.A. is valid in the U.S., of course with PR being part of the U.S. Yet she can not speak english at all. Here chances for employement here are 0. If she knew english with those credentials she would be worth mega bucks, but she is lazy. Plus her husband is moving here, he is bi lingual and speaks english with no accent. She will be at home all the time trying to learn english at 30 years old. This is America, not europe, we speak english, it is part of the culture. In Puerto Rico we were lucky enough to be schooled in both. What you do in the house is your own business, yet outside you do not want to look like an idiot. I have people in my family that have been here for 25 years and can not speak english, I think they are lost, and they are not doing well in life. As an american latino, I do not like people coming here that do not want to assimilate, because that sterotypes us as lazy immagrants, who are so arrogant that we will not learn. I spent about two years with my cousin in Spain during summers througout my high school college years. Go there and tell those guys to learn english and have bi-lingual signs and government forms.....They tell you something you will not like to hear. Bottom line is that if you chic does not learn english and want to, she will be a loser here. Be realistic what can she do? Communicate with people? no government agencies? no ok she can get a drivers license, what happens when she crashes the car and needs to talk to the cop? Hospital? Pay bills? Go to store? write checks?
Wayne
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

My wife speaks almost no English but goes to ESL 3 hours a day 5 days a week.  We speak Spanish out of laziness.  It would be better to speak more English in the home.

And your right,  I forgot that there are other languages being spoken by the ladies in these relationships on these boards.   You're right...no need for you to speak Spanish.  That is until, or if you start chasing Colombian chicas.

MarkInTx
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Two questions, posted by Wayne on Feb 19, 2002

And then I'll really be messed up because I will remember just enough of the portuguese to have it mess up my spanish!

Aii aii aii!

Cali vet
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I think you just said it all!
MarkInTx
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Attitude and idioma, posted by Tai on Feb 18, 2002

That is good. I have had similar things happen in my company, actually.

We were founded by four frenchmen. Once they were in a high level meeting with some senior IBM VPs, and the negotiations were getting heated. They started talking to one another in french... saying that the IBM guys were stupid...and what have you.

Anyway... they IBM VP stands up, and announces the meeting is OVER! And leaves.

Turns out he headed up the france division for years and spoke fluent french!

But ... one of the cool things about marrying a foreign wife, to me, is learning a language that you can communicate with her in, and have it be your little secret. Frankly, that is one of the reasons why a Brazilian woman has appeal... I can imagine learning enough portuguese to talk to her privately in front of others.

Frankly, I think that would be REALLY great!

Jeff S
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to That's a Funny story, posted by MarkInTx on Feb 18, 2002

I could keep you in stitches with stories of keeping my mouth shut in busiess meetings with Japanese - then joining in the conversations later to the shocked expressions of the participants who thought their sidebars were private. No one expects a 6'4" blue eyed gringo to be able to converse in Japanese. It's been my experience that people from Latin America are more careful about what they say in Spanish because of the more universality of Spanish.
-- Jeff S
Tai
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to That's a Funny story, posted by MarkInTx on Feb 18, 2002

IMO being able to communicate with a Latin wife in her own language is something that will bond you closer together as she is here trying to adjust to a new environment and culture.

Culture shock is no joke. I spent an extended period of time in Colombia, and I did hit that "wall". A feeling of being overwhelmed just kind of washed over me, and all I could think of was taking a break from Spanish. I wanted to talk to someone, anyone, IN ENGLISH, but there was no one around. The feeling passed after a couple of days, helped by the thoughts of what it would be like if I spoke little or no Spanish...which would've been more like the REAL culture shock that many Colombianas experience here with little or no English skills and husbands that don't speak Spanish.

Tai

robbysanjuan
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Attitude and idioma, posted by yc on Feb 18, 2002

It is not that bieng bi-lingual is bad. It is just that English is the national language here. It is rude and arrogant not to learn the native language if you live here or any other country and reap the benefits. You don't come into someone's house and change it to your liking. This is from a 1st generation Puerto Rican, who parents LEARNED english. They both knew it was not only neccassary to succeed, but also just common sense.
MarkInTx
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Attitude and idioma, posted by robbysanjuan on Feb 18, 2002

Thank you
yc
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Attitude and idioma, posted by robbysanjuan on Feb 18, 2002

Thanks Robby, I totally agree with you.  It made perfect sense to me when I was living in Europe and if I should ever decide to relocate to LA(whether permanent or temporary) I believe it would be my responsibility to be able to communicate with the locals in their native language.

BTW, are you actively searching or just interested?

yc

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: