Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 04:37:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More on Vaccinations / Immunizations  (Read 22936 times)
Jim L
« on: April 14, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

Sometime ago this subject came up and I think there was some confusion regarding which vaccinations are necessary for those of us travelling to Latin America.

I recently had a routine check up and when I told my doctor I was travelling to South America he recommended having a Hepatitis A vaccination (I'd already been vaccinated for Hepatitis B).  It's done in two stages.  The first injection provides partial immunization after one month's time and a follow up is needed anytime between six months and a year afterwards for complete immunization.  
Unlike Hepatitis B, which is classified as a blood-born pathogen,(sexual contact, infected needles etc) Hepatitis A can be contracted through infected food or water, so the obvious common sense rules about street food, tap water that you're unsure of etc., apply as well.

As for cost, your insurance should cover it (mine did). But if you're doing it out of pocket I think it runs about $80.

If you're interested in finding exactly which vaccinations you'll need based upon where you're travelling you may want to check out this site. I got the URL from the pamphlet in my doctor's office:

www.passporthealthusa.com

They have offices throughout the country, and can provide the appropriate vaccinations tailored to where you're travelling, your risk factors, etc.

Jim L

JunFan68
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to More on Vaccinations / Immunizations, posted by Jim L on Apr 14, 2001

Before my first trip, I went to my Doctor to get some medicine in case I got 'tourista' down there. I asked him if I needed any specific shots for Colombia and he pulled out his book, and said....nahhh.

My .02,
Mike

Martin T
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to More on Vaccinations / Immunizations, posted by Jim L on Apr 14, 2001

What about Malaria? I know it would be no probem in Bogota, but what of the lowlands? Is it a problem?, is it safer in the dryer months? It's really bad news these days, there's no cure, and killer strains of the disease are becoming more common. Don't underestimate it. Anyone wise about it in respect to Colombia?
Jim L
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: More on Vaccinations / Immunizations, posted by Martin T on Apr 14, 2001

Martin, you're right about the potential dangers of Malaria.  According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control) here in the states, tropical areas of Colombia and other SA countries (below 5,000 feet elevation) where the mosquito vector breeds are areas of potential risk.
Cali did seem loaded with mosquitos when I was there last May. I've never heard reports of anyone contracting Malaria after visiting any urban areas of Latin America though.
I don't believe there's a vaccine yet either but If you're really concerned there are prescription anti-malarial drugs available.
Personally, I don't think the risk is great enough to worry about it for me just going to Cali. Using some mosquito repellant might not be a bad idea though.

G'day, mate :-)

Martin T
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: More on Vaccinations / Immunizat..., posted by Jim L on Apr 15, 2001

Jim, mate, there there are anti-malarial drugs available, but apparently they are only partially effective, and some nasty types of malaria are now becoming impossible to treat. There are also rare instances of severe and permanent side effects from the use of these drugs, and temporary sickness is an common side effect from use. Malaria is a bigger killer in the undeveloped world than HIV, and the reason that we are not so scared of it is because it is still a rare malady in the developed world. The US and Australian armed forces are both doing a lot of research into vaccines, simply because soldiers often go to these places, and bullets not so effective against mosquitoes. Drug companies are not so interested because the people who mostly suffer from it wouldn't have the money for the drugs even if they were available ... It's a sick world we live in! I remember these points from a documentary I saw last year, and I recall the mentioning of the problem in South America and particularly Colombia. It's an issue of consideration, thanks for your response. You know mate, we don't say "mate" nearly as often as you think, mate ;-)
Jim L
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: More on Vaccinations / Immun..., posted by Martin T on Apr 15, 2001

..."thanks for your response. You know mate, we don't say "mate" nearly as often as you think, mate ;-)..."

You're welcome, Martin.   And like most yanks, I've probably seen one too many Crocodile Dundee film. ;-)

Welcome! And good luck in your search.

Jim

Martin T
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: More on Vaccinations / I..., posted by Jim L on Apr 15, 2001

Thanks Jim, buddy ...did you know the Spanish for crocodile? It's just what I thought it would be! You never know when it may come in handy!
Jim L
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to re: Seņor Cocodrilo Dundee, posted by Martin T on Apr 15, 2001

No preocupaciones, mate!...  Sobre cocodrilos, ni mosquitos que contagian con malaria.

(sonrisa ;-)

Jim

Houndog
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: More on Vaccinations / Immun..., posted by Martin T on Apr 15, 2001

Never heard of a case myself either. Our State Dept. has a sight that warns against travel to certian countries and regions of the world. Colombia is on that list. They warn about everything they could find or dream up and not even with their vivid imagination did they think of Malaria.

Houndog

Traveler
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: More on Vaccinations / I..., posted by Houndog on Apr 15, 2001

boy, and I mean boy,  you are really the king of misinformation.  shows how much you know.  

not only is malaria possible, albeit rare, but dengue as well.  dengue is much more pervasive in the developing world than malaria.  there is one type of dengue that is fatal.  if you are fortunate to not get this variety, but just the run of the mill variety you can count of feeling like mierda for a couple of weeks.

anti-malarial drugs can be effective but they have side effects such as horrible nightmares (no kidding, take it from someone who knows).  I found the risk of getting malaria to be worth not having nightmares but don't discount malaria.  

other fun diseases you may find in your favorite tropical country include cholera, hepatitis, and everyones favorite, intestinal parasites.

there is much more preaching on this board than practicle info so take it for what it is worth.  there is not much understanding of latin culture here either, but some of the questions and answers do provide some entertainment value. there are some people in the know though.  

however, I would not accept medical advice from the posters on planet love.    

Houndog
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to about malaria and don't forget dengue fe..., posted by Traveler on Apr 18, 2001

Well you forgot to mention what you catch and bring back every trip..opps I mean on your one trip to the DR so far...Venarial Diease......what did you say...much more common, easier to catch in bars and more embarrasing to get rid of...

Houndog

Traveler
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: You forgot to mention what you caugh..., posted by Houndog on Apr 19, 2001

that would be 4 trips to the DR

5 to Venezuela

3 to Mexico

and who knows maybe one to Cartagena in May

later Henry

Houndog
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to what are the symptoms of "venarial&..., posted by Traveler on Apr 19, 2001

Now malandope...you math seems to have exploded since you last told how many trips you have made...trying to fake credibility Huh

So how long does it take to get over the clap Huh

Houndog

Traveler
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: what are the symptoms of "venar..., posted by Houndog on Apr 19, 2001

DR  4 times
Venezuela 5
Mexico 3

did I mention Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras???   I see you're keeping track.

Houndog
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to I don't know, is this a riddle??   and a..., posted by Traveler on Apr 20, 2001

You sure that's not the side effects of those VD drugs...and the others just for recreational purposes. Loss of memory, delusions, False Memory Syndrome, Paranoia....Hmmmmm sounds like you need a checkup....

Houndog

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: