Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 02:35:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: jyt209  (Read 6733 times)
wolverine1963
« on: April 27, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Hello Everyone, I was wondering how long after arrival in the U.S. did most Filipina wives take and pass their driving test?  My wife has adjusted very very well to the U.S. in the year that she has been here but she has not yet taken her driving test. I understand that each lady is different---I was trying to get a feel for approximately how long this process generally takes. Also I would appreciate any advice\tips about drivers training etc. Thank you, Wolverine
bryan
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to jyt209, posted by wolverine1963 on Apr 27, 2005

Absolute freakin disaster. Shes on her 3rd permit 2nd accident and I still do all the driving. What a pain but she is scared and I dont want her drivin until shes comforatable and I am comfortable with her drivin. After a long time off shes recently showed some improvement behind the wheel. As circumstances have it I wont be able to drive her when school starts for her in the fall so she knows she has to get it done this summer if she wants to continue in college. Shes going to have to deal with the kids and get herself back and forth to school so I think shes starting to see how important it is to be able to operate a vehicle in the US
Howard
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

W~

One of my wife's friends found a Filipino driving instructor in the Detroit Area.  He seems like a nice guy and is offering a fair deal.

Email me if you're interested.  I'll hook Gerlie up with your wife Smiley

Keep the Faith

H

wolverine1963
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. They were all informative and helpful. wolverine
Esiang
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Mine takes about 2 years before I take my first driving test and got it. I have a total of 4 permits and a 1 year training from my husband.
During our day offs he'd trained me sometimes not due to weather conditions as he say he..he...

Learning it from my husband was comfortable for me but I'm sure he was not, all the arguments blahh blahh...but it was fun.

You should let your wife focus on parallel parking as it is important in the driving test.
My friend cried when she failed her first driving test, hope she won't.

Stephen
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: jyt209, posted by Esiang on May 1, 2005

I think there's a lot of pressure on these ladies to pass it the first time around.  That's not realistic.

I think we Americans forget how much general knowledge we learn about driving and autos just from riding one the first 16 years of our lives.  But then these Filipinas come over here...AND THEY'VE NEVER BEEN AROUND AUTOS THAT MUCH.  It's a very new experience for them

We men should back off and let them take it at their own speed.

Just my thoughts.

S

Ray
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: jyt209, posted by Stephen on May 1, 2005

The wife took about 11 months to get her permanent license. It took her 3 tries to pass the written test and then 4 tries to pass the road test. When she failed the test, she just shrugged and said she would try again next week and keep trying until she passed. Now she’s a better driver than I am (Shhhhhhh!).

Here in San Diego, they rarely pass you on the first try. It’s job security for the license examiners. If they passed people on the first try, they would have to lay off at least half the examiners (LOL)

Ray

observer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

My wife got her license about 5 months after she got here.I taught her how to drive. We hit the road at sunup every Sunday for a couple of months. First driving in the residential neighborhoods by our place and then on to some main streets.Light traffic yet still traffic lights,signs,lanes ect.It was very scary the first few times:)I tried to be cool and instruct in soothing tones.It worked most of the times.She got better and I stopped white knuckling. It's great.I don't have to accompany her for mundane things like food shopping and get to sleep in occasionally on Sunday and skip church.She still avoids the highway!!!
Bear
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

My wife has been here since Dec 2001 and hasn't gotten hers yet.  Pretty timid I think.  Trying hard to motivate her but it still hasn't happened.

The Bear Family.

Stephen
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

My wife came to the USA in November, 2000.  She got her learner's permit in 2001 and took the Driver's license in 2003.

Here the approach we took.  We didn't rush the approach.  We decided that she would just start driving.  And then when she had 100 hours of driving time with me, then she would take the test.

Great approach.  You see, if a person has 100 hours of experience then they can do just about whatever the test can throw at them.

Tess will drive in rush hour traffic in downtown Los Angeles.  She has no hangups about having to stick to the backroads.

I would very much recommend this laid-back, 100 hours of practice approach.  Takes a lot of pressure off the ladies.

Just my thoughts.

S

Keith NC
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

A friend of mine his wife hasn't gotten her license yet.  She has been here for seven years already.  She tells him that she doesn't ever want to learn how to drive.  It    makes things kind of tough at times.  But he is on disability so he doesn't have to work.  He takes her to work and picks her up.  But if he was working too she would have to get her license.  

My ex got her license two years after she was here.  Since then she has had five accidents from not paying attetion when she is backing out of a parking space and not leaving enough distance between her and the car in front of her.  Her car insurance is thru the roof.  I am glad I don't have to pay it.    

It may depend on when your wife feels like she is ready and she may never be ready.  ButI think what Don wrote is a good idea.  Send her to a driving school.  It would not be good for your marriage if you are the one teaching her how to drive. Lol.

Keith NC
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: jyt209, posted by Keith NC on Apr 27, 2005

Dan not Don.  Sorry.
Febtember
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Hello Wolverine,
It depend on her.I  drive pick up truck around the farm before I got my driving permit.I'm so worried to get permit because I think it be very embarassing to fail on the exam so I study a lot.Got my driving permit 7 months after I arrived here.The problem is that I'm so worry to take the driving test because I know I'm not a good driver and same thing it be very embarassing to fail.Then my first driving permit expire and I have to get one and study more again since I forgot most of the stuff I study before then I pass and get driving permit again.The third time I feel like I am  tired of taking writen exam again so I go ahead take the driving test a month before my second permit expire.Oh yah I pass and got my drivers license after three years here.I don't do much of driving after I get my license because I promise to myself once I get  my license I will never drive again if I dont have to.Raquel
DanAndChed
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Mares got her license at about the two year point.  I'm a scared teacher.  She got really motivated when she was pregnant and got a driving school to teach her.  This worked out great.

Dan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: