Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 01, 2024, 02:27:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: safety factor for white guys  (Read 3677 times)
Luther
« on: February 22, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

I saw very few white people except at resorts and the fancy new mall.  There was a bus bombing in Gen'l Santos City on Valentines day that got a lot of press, as well as a grenade explosion in Davao the same day that got very little press.

I was not allowed to go anywhere by myself.  I bought a cow for the reception and wanted to help walk it to the farm, but it was explained to me that the cow had to be walked through a Moslem neighborhood and I was asked to stay home to avoid the possibility of being kidnapped.

Robert Angel made it sound pretty scary for white guys in Mindanao.  I've read that there are more Moslems there than the other islands, and Robert Angel says only Davao is safe.  I wouldn't know because that's the only place I was except neighboring communities and resorts.  I thought I imagined some dirty looks from some of the men but it could have just been jealousy on their part, or paranoia on mine.

Ray said a while back that southern Mindanao is one of the few places in the Phils that is unsafe for white people.  After we got to Pearl Farm, Jovie told me there had been a Moslem raid there not long ago, in an attempt to kidnap a white guy, and one of the resort guards was killed.

Is the Davao area a safe place for a little white dude to live?  What does anyone think?

robert angel
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to safety factor for white guys, posted by Luther on Feb 22, 2005

Yes, I felt very safe in Davao City. Unlike in most PI cities--actually most cities world wide--I did not find myself periodically patting my back pocket to make sure my wallet was still there. I saw signs in churches in Cebu warning us to watch our purses and wallets while at Mass, which shocked me. Manila seemed worse yet crime wise, but in all the places and times I was in the PI the only place I ever felt that God was telling me to get the heck out of there --I feel I can usually 'sense' danger--maybe being born in the Bronx instilled it in me(and I have been accross the street from a heavily armed attempted coup de tat attempt in Makati and by 3 people being machine gunned to death in rush hour Cebu)again--only place I sensed fear and impending personal danger was in the Chinatown section of Manila--the Tutuban Mall--there are bargains for shoppers there yes--but you may get more than you bargained for as well. No one said a word or touched me--I just sensed something bad could easily happen and I left. Heck--during the coup attempt, I walked the streets, wearing frumpy hat, T shirt and jeans (I dress down always, except for ceremonial events)and I spoke with the rebels and got their side and watched the loyalist troops mostly sleeping with their guns along side them, waiting the rebels out. I wouldn't have worn a red, white and blue Ralph Lauren outfit out there, but I had no fear of the snipers on the roofs of the skyscrapers--they weren't gunning for Yankees that day--they were protesting their (still)corrupt govt. and military--one that's basically estranged from ours, although no one admits it. A few families run the economic show there and like here--money drives politics and gives access to the govt. Their President--like our last two Presidents, went to Yale University. We are just more fortunate than them--we--as a Nation, have a lot more money to spread around here--we do not have the grinding poverty all around nor the lack of hope of a fast economic turn around that they accept stoically. But--we do not have their unflinching faith in a great and just God--that's what keeps the PI from exploding, and what may be conversely wiping the sands from underneath the foundation of our own great nation. We have plenty and do not appreciate it--while we want what we do not really need. Make no mistake--I love the USA--it offered my poor immigrant grand parents everything, and is still, overall, the best place in the world for most people. Just my opinion. and I think we need to suck up and take care of our own business, make most of the stuff we buy at walmart and Home Depot and stay out of hopeless nation's political and social quagmires, thinking they want our form of govt. if they don't.
Back to life in the PI and most world cities today--street thieves can deftly slice your back pocket or purse w/ a razor attached to a stick, allowing the contents to fall out on a busy street in most towns. You won't even notice til you reach for your wallet. They are as talented as my Italian bretheren at this. I still use a money belt under my pants and only kept about $20 in there--'just in case'. As horrific as it sounds, habitual theives, drug dealers and adicts are sometimes mysteriously murdered by vigilante squads that do not remotely fear facing govt. intervention in Davao--and now other cities are doing the same. Prostitutes and illegal money changers are not seen as a threat--(although Jesus sat and broke bread with the whores some 2000 years ago and condemned the money changers)I guess the govt. might see they bring lots of needed out of town money in, but if you're halfway nice and friendly--there's no reason why you can meet enough people in the old fashioned way and develop a relationship in a sane, healthy way. I am no hollywood hunk by any stretch and had cabbies and business people offer to introduce me to family--to meet their sisters, daughters, etc. I never set foot in a bar there, but hear that's a very lively scene and I have heard many fellows say they have met some lovely ladies at malls quite easily. Of course on line, you can quickly make aquaintances of women very glad to meet you once you come and oh so happy to tour you around--but do your homework first before meeting anyone from online. I just always have done my homework before going there and ended up with one woman the entire time--until I finally (hopefully) met THE one--I'm engaged as of last June! Joy I love you!!--hard to believe I've known you over three years now!
As draconian and savage as they are, the vigilante squads really keep crime down--I can't justify them, but I understand the mindset. A college professor friend of mine moved her drug addicted (shabu--same as speed--methamphetimine here) son from Davao C.--afraid they would kill him. On the other hand, the NPA  (communist New People's Army) dispenses similar 'justice' to govt and civilan persons they judge as corrupt or otherwise morally off track. They also often collect a revolutionary tax from businesses and their good graces are sought by high govt. officials as well, to "keep the peace". You probably won't recognize 90% of who the NPA members among you are over there--they almost like an often evil political party some favor to differing degrees--they just blend in--no more than you might know who belongs to the NRA here--(National Rifle Association)-- scary indeed! But 98% of the people there are loving, gentle and honest--and that includes Muslims, from my experiences--but there is a brutal edge there. My biggest worry is the next generation. If the economy doesn't improve and a 16 y/o sees his college educated parents working as domestics in Hong Kong because they make three times there what a teacher back home makes. The NPA promises of a gun, money and girls being attracted to him and men fearing and respecting him--it may be all too tempting. Hey guys--if you were 16 and in that situation--what would you have done? The NPA recruits women too--and even sometimes gives them leadership roles. Notice all the Che Guevera signs and T shirts--these kids are often not as respectful and religious as their elders. Especially in Mindanao, I would not take public buses outside of major cities, espec. at night. When traveling outside of metro areas--a rebel sympathizer can get off at a stop, make a phone call and you may meet trouble down the road. I would recommend having someone you know arange for a driver and not tell the driver they he's transporting an American. Always when possible, have a trusted Filipino make most sorts of major decisions and arrangements--you'll pay less and do much better overall.

I know all this sounds horrible--but I have --through all of this --- been in places and situations in Detroit, Chicago and New York that were indeed worse than in any PI city I have stayed in. I have seen riots, neighborhoods burned and people robbed and killed. Muslims and Christians, dare I say, seem to get along better there than blacks and white do here, overall. No--USA cities do not have vigilante squads or Islamic or communist rebels looking for American victims--(yet)--(save 9/11)--but you can end up robbed beaten or dead at least as quickly in some parts of US cities faster, from my personal experiences. Why in my own hostess city of the south--Savannah, GA--we have a murder rate that per capita exceeds those 3 cities--and we still get 7 million tourists a year.
I plan on retiring one fine day to Davao, Island Garden of Samal (there's talk of a connecting bridge within the next 5 years being built connecting the two--but that's on "Filipino time") -I also want to check out Bohol as a place to live too. In any place there--although I hate the snobbery that comes with it all too often--I feel that living in a gated community is the only way to go. Otherwise, you run the risk of people who think all Americans are rich hitting you up for charity--or offering to help you with mundane tasks for a few pesos--or almost inevitably--you coming home one day and finding that some desperate person (probably out of work with ten kids) has plundered your house for valuables while you were gone. I don't want to leave my home and have to worry. Even in a gated community--which will cost more than living in a regular neighborhood--your cost of living will probably be half of what it is here and to me--the quality of life better. The people are just nicer--the way of life different. That's in the places I looked at anyways--Manila, Angeles and Cebu City will cost more--but they're not my style. I want to be safe--but able to go to the malls, movies, festivals, restuarants and enjoy sweet, beautiful people who like me and me them, and fish in the sea and enjoy the beach with my honey--toes in sand, mango shake in hand. Might sound like having your cake and eating it too, but life holds no certainties other than death and taxes, and I'll take a few calculated chances. Arriverderci, all...

Luther
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: safety factor for white guys, posted by robert angel on Feb 23, 2005

In short it sounds like R Angel (are you the disc jockey from Nevada City?) is saying that Davao is safer than other cities because criminals and druggies are liable to be killed by vigilantes and they know it so they live somewhere else.

Does anyone else concur or otherwise?

It's sort of a slim hope, as far as a reason for calling a place "safe."  What if someone doesn't like the way I look and so spreads the rumor that I'm a big drug lord who needs to be offed?  The word "vigilante" makes me think of the word "triggerhappy."

robert angel
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to vigilante squads?, posted by Luther on Feb 23, 2005

Luther,
It's great to hear that you sailed pretty much thru customs, the embassy etc., even with past divorces on your record. A few extra pesos never hurts to 'expedite" the process over there. I was surprised that the church was so cooperative. You must have really dotted your i's and crossed your t's. Had to laugh a little about the shorts though. Few Filipinos wear shorts and usually they're a clear givaway that you're from elsewhere, if your facial features and skin color aren't enough. I hear that thankfully overall, the finacee-spousal visa process is going faster, although some  Filipinas still get up and are at the doors at 3 AM to make sure they get in.
It's great that you could be there. I hear it REALLY makes a difference in how the situation is handled, courtesy and speedwise. If the fiance can't be there, a big brothter or father's presence also makes a big difference. They seem to take her more seriously. She should know your family member's names if asked, about your work and education and other basic details, if asked. You already know this, but perhaps others don't.
Yes, the presence of vigilante squads is real in parts of Mindanao and I find it very sad and disturbing that they deem it a "necessary evil" and look the other way--that the govt. quietly condones and probably gives names and imformation to the squads. I didn't know about them at first, as it's not a topic Filipinos like to talk about. I really doubt if there's even a remote chance of them targeting you, or for that matter an innocent Filipino individual there. I wouldn't rule it out completely though--in our own country, innocent people have been saved from death row by DNA analysis--some haven't been so lucky. From what I've heard, the V. Squads usually give the target several warnings and then he knows his number's up. They learn to listen for motorcycles, especially those with riders wearing masks. The word 'justice' does not begin to describe the barbaric practice. It's simply a way they deal with what they view as serious crimes that if left unchecked, will spread wider through society. The killings are not everyday, not common--but people there know. Sadly, most people who become addicted to drugs there cannot afford rehab, and they do not have enough jail space for offenders.
It's an awful situation. We have the jail space in the USA, and as a result, largely due to drugs--we, in the USA, have the largest percentage of our population incarcerated in prisons of any nation on earth. That is a shocking fact. We have more drug rehabilitaion opportunities, but we need to stop the dope from coming in, although sometimes it seems that as long as there's demand, some will inevitably get in. We have sattelites that can read a car's license plate from outer space and detect tunnels underground thru thermal heat sensors. We use this technology in the Philippines to help their military track terrorists--from the sky. They can tell if a several objects moving under dense jungle foliage on a remote mountain is a camp of several 'suspect' individuals,(possible terrorists) or a pack of wild boar. Then with GPS units, we pinpoint their exact location and send others in to decide how to 'handle' the situation. Odd that we don't use this technology much along our own borders or in S. America. our borders are porous, allowing illegal workers--who do work (crop harvesting to framing houses) that many Americans don't want to do-- and narco smuglers in. If all off a sudden. corruption stopped in the Philippines or in the USA--we would suddenly have so much previously unaccounted for 'underground' cash in the economy, that major overheating would occur. And of course, some influential, powerful people would be much poorer suddenly. In the USA, up until new style paper money was introduced, over 90% of paper money had cocaine residue on it. In my humble opinion, we have the resources to better fight the war on drugs in a more effective and humane way. but our govt. lacks the resolve. In USA occupied Afganistan, poppy and opium production is at an all time high.  Other nations, such as the Philippines and many Islamic nations show greater resolve in dealing with drugs and illegal firearms (ever try and buy a gun in the PI?) but their methods are way out of the realm of what most would consider civilized and humane. And so it goes...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: