Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 03:41:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: introduction and a couple of questions  (Read 11978 times)
Howard
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to calling the Philippines, posted by Luther on Feb 24, 2005

Welcome back and Congratulations!!!

What calling plan did you end up going with?

Keep the Faith!

Nephew H

Luther
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Hey Unc, posted by Howard on Feb 25, 2005

Hey Howard,

Thanks for saying hi, and it was really nice to hear from you and Gerlie on my first day in the Phils.

I have tried Asian Calling Plans by SBC, ATT, and now Qwest.  They are all pretty well equivalent, each has its advantages and disadvantages.  I've settled for the convenience of having my long distance and local bill all with the same company.

I miss our Little Panay family--Jovie has been bringing her relatives to CT Net so I have been getting lots of pics of Christine (Tenten), Dave (d'Boy), and Kent (our ring bearer.)  Kent shied away from me for two weeks but one day I got through to him somehow and after that he was my best little buddy.  They are all so sweet.

I will never forget my first night at Little Panay.  I was outside under the mango trees, surrounded by little girls who had elected one of them to do the talking...she kept firing questions at me: Kuya Luther this and Kuya Luther that...they made me do impressions of monkeys, lions, bears, snakes, etc.  When I got tired of being center stage I made them sing "Today" for me.  If it's not the Filipino national song it is at least the most popular song in Little Panay.  "Today while the blossom still clings to the vine, I'll taste your strawberries, I'll drink your sweet wine, a million tomorrows will all pass away, ere I forget the joy that is mine...Today..."  That little serenade has to be among the top ten memories for the whole time I was in the Philippines.

Keep in touch.

Unc for Unconditional

Howard
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Hey Unc, posted by Luther on Feb 26, 2005

Unc,

Yeah, Little Panay really stold my heart as well Smiley  I warned you about that Tongue  The kids are just so adorable!!!  It's been a couple of years since I have been there Sad  D'Boy cried constantly and Tenten wasn't even a glint in Noel's eye yet Tongue  Kent and Divine were my little buddies Cheesy  Yanyan, Lowell, Jayruse were never too far away, but it was Divine and Kent that were hot on my heels Tongue  I remember Kent asked his Nanay, on my first day in Little Panay, if he could sleep in the bed with Santa Claus Tongue  Hahahahahahahahaha

Aiko brought the two of them to CTnet a couple of weeks ago and boy have they grown!!!  It was good to see my little pals, but it made me miss them even more!!!

Oh yeah, I remember that group of girls undey the Mango Tree.  On my first night the kept antagonizing Divine to go sit on my lap, so I picked her up and gave her a piggy back ride while the rest of the kids snickered and followed us around Tongue  Me and Divineko were good pals after that Tongue

I'm on the SBC plan, which is the least expensive and keeps my bill "all in one", but they have this ridiculous $200 limit on long distance.  When you exceed it, even if you're not past due, haven't received a bill since the one you paid and you next one isn't due for two weeks, they will cut you off faster than I can rip through a plate of Lumpia!!!  VERY irritating!  I used to be with AT&T and that plan was just about the same as SBC, I may have to go back again.  The phone cards are great, but hardly ever work around here.  I need the convenience of it being hooked up to my local phone!

Keep the Faith!

Welcome to the Family Smiley

Oh HEY... you guys look GREAT in te wedding pictures!!!  You picked up a tan pretty quickly Unc, you almost look more tan that your asawa Tongue  hahahahahaha... I am SO happy for you guys!!!

NH

Luther
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Hey Unc, posted by Howard on Feb 26, 2005

Thanks for the warning but nothing could have prepared me.  When I told Jovie that children in the US are taught to not speak to strangers, she was horrified.

Tenten is a little over a year old and she is the center of attention a lot.  She is so cute, and whenever she and I encounter each other, Jovie tells her to "bliss Oncle" so she grabs my hand and puts it on her forehead.  Then waves.  Divine loves to carry her around.

D'boy still cries a lot (I think he's almost 4 yrs old) and he works hard for negative attention.  I think it will pass because his parents are very loving and patient with him.  They don't overreact to the hitting and throwing things.  He and Kent sit next to each other in the TV room baiting each other, and usually he gets Kent to cry.  I call him the little monster because he is downright mean, but if he knew what I was saying I wouldn't call him that.  I think he deserves a chance and I hope for the best in the development of his personality.  His parents are certainly sweet people.

When Jovie brought Kent to CT Net the other day I must have taken 20 pictures of him.  Asleep, awake, making faces at the webcam, eating ice cream.  I miss him most because of the way he used to come tearing my way whenever Jovie and I returned home on the tricycle: "Kuya Luther!  Kuya Luther!"  Compare that to what I get from the young people where I work...well, never mind.

I took six rolls of film and had to leave them there.  Jovie will get them developed when I send her the money.  I got a good one of your mother-in-law weeping when I showed the video of you and Gerlie's wedding.  And Auntie Thelma.

I noticed in more than one family, not just us Maquirans, that Filipinos are very affectionate with their children, they have a little to say about bad behavior but they don't seem to overreact and lay huge trips on their kids over small stuff, they are patient and hold their babies a lot.  There is no room for baby buggies and car seats.  Manang Emmie (Bert's wife) is taking care of her grandson Vince, and I swear that kid's feet don't touch the ground, she is always holding him.

A friend of mine who visited Bali told me the Balinese pass babies around so the child doesn't touch the ground for the first 200 days of its life.  By the time they're 18 months old they're very independent, running around in the woods in unsupervised peer groups.  I don't know if that's an exaggeration, but the general idea seems to be, give them security as helpless babies and they won't be helpless babies their whole life.

I want to mention that I did not see any melodrama or irritability in the household (and very little anywhere) despite close quarters.  I think our hurry-hurry ways in this country are devastating what's left of our culture.  People don't matter anymore, just things.  It's all profit and productivity.  Of course I flunked Reality 101 but when I was in the Phils I felt vindicated, like the professor of my Reality 101 class had lied so he could flunk me.

Well it's been one of those lives...

DougM
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to calling the Philippines, posted by Luther on Feb 24, 2005

Thanks Luther.  That's exactly what I needed.  I'll try it and see if I can get through.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: