Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 02:32:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A little assistance, please?  (Read 11549 times)
senior citizen
« on: March 04, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

As you know, I married Honey when bringing home a Filipina bride was as easy as adopting a stray kitten. So all the rigamarole attendant with today's process is confusing to me.

I have an nodding acquaintance with Zachary. Zack is wanting to bring his Indonesian (Christian) sweetheart over on a K-1 I believe it is (fiancé visa). Zack is retired and lives off his tax-free munies. He owns his own home outright, and a nice one at that, is widowed these past 6 years, has grown children and no worries. The lady in question is 43 years old and a librarian, never been married. She is very attractive in her photos.

Anyhow, he apparently ran afoul of the feds over his ability to support her. He makes about $49,000/year, tax-free, on his munies. He hasn't filed federal or state taxes in years as all his income is non-taxable. This is equivalent to over $60,000/year if it were taxable. But since he has not filed taxes in like forever, the INS or whomever kicked back his forms saying he needed to include IRS forms, so that he has to file back for 7 years, even if he owes no taxes since his income is non-taxable. They want him to file back tax forms on non-taxable income because they say they MUST have IRS 1040 tax forms to process his paperwork. It sounded bogus to me, like he got an idiot at INS on a bad day.

What say you?

senior citizen
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to A little assistance, please?, posted by senior citizen on Mar 4, 2005

I was just curious. I may have gotten what he said wrong. It sure seemed to me that he had enough for two to live o comfortably.
Bob S
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to A little assistance, please?, posted by senior citizen on Mar 4, 2005

1.  Ray's right.  Proof of ability to support for an Affidavit of Support is not required for a K-1 visa (see: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/fianceapp.htm ).  That comes later when you try to adjust status (see: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPRApplication.htm ).
Your buddy must be trying to do something different.  Maybe marry her there and bring her over on a K-3 (see: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/Appproc.htm )?  That may also require an I-864 Affidavit of Support even though it doesn't say so in the "How To" page but does on the Affidavit page (see: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm ).

2.  Jeff's right.  If you do not have proof of income, you may use assets as proof of support ability.  In this case it is something like net worth of 5 times the income requirements (about 125% of the poverty limit) (see: http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/I-864p.htm ) or about $80,000 to $100,000 depending on family size.  A really nice motorhome alone can be worth that much.  I had to use this method to bring my wife over as I was between jobs at the time of her interview.

Ray
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by Ray]

Something is wrong with this story señor. First, the INS (currently referred to as the CIS) does NOT ask for or require copies of tax returns for a fiancée (K-1) petition. She wouldn’t be asked for tax returns until she applied for the visa overseas after it had been approved by the CIS. Even then, tax returns are not always required.

The consular officer would be looking at the totality of the applicant’s situation, particularly the petitioner’s financial status, to insure that the applicant is not likely to become a public charge in the U.S.  The consulate usually requests a Form I-134 Affidavit of Support and evidence of sufficient income, preferably from steady employment. If the petitioner is self-employed or retired, then they will need to see solid evidence of a steady income or substantial assets. They like to see copies of recent tax returns and W-2’s if applicable, but if the petitioner was not required to file returns, they only need a written statement and detailed explanation of why the filing of tax returns was not required under IRS regulations. If he can show evidence of an annual income above about $16,000 or so then he should have no trouble qualifying. The consular officer has a lot of discretionary authority in evaluating the public charge provisions of the law so perhaps the evidence of income and assets was not fully documented.

If the fiancée petition has not yet been approved and sent to the embassy overseas, then perhaps your friend is just imagining the potential financial problems that don’t exist yet(?). If he can post here in person, then it would be much easier to evaluate his problem.

Ray

Jeff S
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

As I understand it, the support requirements can be fulfilled with assets - and if he's kicking off $50K in interest on munis, and has a paid-for home, his asset base must be into the 7 figures. I doubt he has to prove income with that level of assets - so I suspect the INS person never handled a case like that. Hopefully Ray will be able to give you some links to the appropriate government web sites that support this.

- Jeff

DanAndChed
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Tell us how a person can have $49,000 a year income that is not taxable.  I've been looking for that golden nugget.  They even tax retires on Social Security.

Dan

Bob S
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to No Taxes?Huh, posted by DanAndChed on Mar 4, 2005

A contractor who works more than 50 miles from home can sometimes be eligible for per diem support.  At the time I was hired for my current job near LAX, my legal residence was near San Diego 100 miles away.  As a result, half of my base pay is in the form of tax-free per diem.  The one drawback, it's only tax-free for the first year. After that, you either start paying taxes on it or quit and find a new job for renewed per diem as you bounce between contract agencies.  Not as stable as the municiple bond system, but still all nice and legal for us workin' stiffs.
senior citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Interest from tax-free municipal bonds. The interest is quite low, but if you have a pee-pot full of them it adds up, and there is no tax on it, federal, state or local. I have some tax-free munies in my portfolio, but to live off of them you have to have a LOT of them. He does. He was a business owner who, when he retired, old the business, lock stock and paper clips, and converted all his assets except his home into tax-free munies. He also has an RV and he tools about the country quite a bit in it, towing a small car behind the beast.

His bride to be is a pretty lady from the pictures, and he says she speaks excellent English. He met her on a trip he took to Jakarta a couple of years back and they have been writing all this time.  She supposedly has no close living family and no ties to her homeland. Being a Christian in the most populous Ismlamic nation also has its problems, he says.

Jeff S
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Munies = Tax free municipal bonds. Floated by communities to build schools, sewers, etc. They're federal and state tax free and usually pay between 4% and 6% - depending on all sorts of things. Most mature in 30 years or so, but sometimes less. You can buy and sell them, too, so pick up ones with 5, 10, 15 or more years left on them. They pay interest twice per year. So if you have a spare million or so sitting around, buy munies and live off the $50K per year tax free income they throw off.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/bonds/05/022805.asp

- Jeff

larrydarrell
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: No Taxes?Huh, posted by Jeff S on Mar 4, 2005

Not really possible.  That $50k will be worth about $25k in 15 years.
Jeff S
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: No Taxes?Huh, posted by larrydarrell on Mar 6, 2005

Really? You don't think you can live on $5000 a month take home after taxes as a retiree (plus social security of at least of another $1000)? Bet there are a lot of old timers who read this board that'll disagree with you - even if your assumption is correct that inflation will erode your buying power to half in 15 years. I'll bet there are plenty of guys who can live quite nicely on half that ($3000 a month take home) and reinvest the other half so your nest egg grows at rate of $36K per year and your take home interest grows by $700 a year. It might not support an posh LA or NY lifestyle, but in most of America you won't be wanting. If not there's always Belize: http://www.belizeretire.com/

- Jeff

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: