Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
September 29, 2024, 07:35:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Travel.........  (Read 4828 times)
TimmyTrump
« on: April 08, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Hi all,

I am new here. Seems like a great resource. I was wondering if anyone could give me an overall picture of what it is like to travel in and through the Philippines. I am hearing that it is more dangerous than before due to the terrorists groups down there. Is that something I have to worry about? Are there a lot of caucasians living/visiting down there or will I kind of stand out? I just don't have any idea what it is like there. The travel warnings issued by the US govt says that Mindanao is especially dangerous. If  anyone could just give me a brief idea of what it is like to visit/travel there I would be very appreciative. If there is a sight I can go to please inform me. Thanks very much for your help. Good luck all.

Tim

NOX1967
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Travel........., posted by TimmyTrump on Apr 8, 2004

I was in Mindanao last year and had no problems at all. I went to Iligan City, and I believe HaroldC has been there too. I don't think I'd go east of Iligan City.

Ron

Stephen
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Of course, you have to use common sense.  Just like if you were in Los Angeles.  But I would not hesitate to go to the philippines in the Luzon and Vasayan areas.  I also would not hesitate to go to the NE area of Mindanao island.

BUT I WOULDN'T GO TO Zamboanga City area.  (SW part of Mindanao Island.)

Tess just arrived in Manila yesterday.  We married in 2000 and this is the first year I've not gone back with her.  Frankly, I really hate to miss the trip.

You will do okay.  

I found this board when I started writing girls in the Phils.  I learned through the stories of others what to expect.  This board is a great resource.  You can learn from the experience of others.

Also, if you will email me I think I have my trip report that I can fax to you.  My email is:

sdbrittain@nospam.com

You have a great adventure ahead of you.

Stephen  

HaroldC
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

So an overall picture isn't worth much. Where 'ya going?

The Philippines is dangerous. It's the third world. It's the tropics. It's poverty stricken. You ain't in Kansas any more.

Anyone who tells you there is no danger is lying or stupid. But, thousands of 'us' go there and live there and find it well worth the risk! The bugs, or a jeepney, will probably get you before the bad guys do. It's not a vacation, it's an adventure.

You won't stand out, much, in the cities. Far out in the boondocks you might well be the first Westerner they've seen.

Just follow the same advice you would give a foreigner who asked you about visiting New York or Detroit.

Howard
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to The Philippines be huge., posted by HaroldC on Apr 9, 2004

jjj
Humabdos
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to ANOTHER Detroit Jab!  Tongue  LOL  n/t, posted by Howard on Apr 9, 2004

Howard you should think about moving out of that hell hole!
Detroit is so dangerous compared to the Philippines!
Hum
Humabdos
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Don't believe all the hype about the PI being dangerous. Most of Mindanao is safe.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/south_east_asia/philippines/

Hum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: