Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 07, 2024, 09:32:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summary, part 2  (Read 14460 times)
Dave H
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to No flames here.., posted by Jeff S on Mar 29, 2001

Jeff,

I think that many people would be surprised to know that many sweat shops exist in the US. Where I worked as a fire fighter/paramedic, we had many. They usually employed Latin and Haitian workers. Many were illegal aliens. The fire exits were usually locked. People worked long hours at below minimum wage, in extremely hot and crowded conditions. Some were threatened and sometimes hit by supervisors. Usually their fellow countrymen (and women).

Dave H.

Jeff S
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Keywords, posted by Carrisse on Mar 29, 2001

Why on earth would an American company move to a foreign country if they had to pay US standards? By your own admission the pay was higher than the country's own standards - guess what, in the several dozen factories I've been or worked in outside the US, the American factories working conditions were much better than the local options, and in many cases, better than the stateside equivalents. Give me a break about the capialists getting rich off the sweat of the poor worker's brows. Your argument is exactly the same one made by the UAW workers in Delphi's Flint Mich, stamping plant when they shut down the auto industry in 1999. They're average wage $94,000 per year. The average workday, 4 1/2 hours.

I stand by my assertion that the foreign worker is far better off having the American factory where there are decent jobs than if they kept the factory at home and the third world worker forced to find employment in local industry.

-- Jeff S.

Carrisse
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Keywords, posted by Jeff S on Mar 29, 2001

Did I say they are paying the country's standards?  I posted my experience with my former employer there--Nike.

And yes the capitalists are getting rich off the sweat of the blue collar worker.  Without us, they would have to pay US standards and would lose millions of dollars.

That's why Boeing is now also outsourcing.  They now realize the massive amount of money they can save.

FL
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Perhaps if you re-read my post, posted by Carrisse on Mar 29, 2001

Your absolutly right on all counts!!!!I saw where my fiance works in Lapu Lapu..discusting!!!!!Pollution so thick, it'll knock you over in a stiff breeze. Next door was the Timex factory. Her company makes products that everyone on this board uses in their computers. Average pay, $3 a day and buy local standards she does have a good job, sorta like a "Micro-softie-filipina" We do it there, because it wouldn't be tolerated here, or Europe or Japan. For 5 years of perfect attendence, my fiance got a coffee mug, WHOOOPPIEEE. Raises last year, first time in two years $.08 A DAY!!!!!
  Ever look in the help wanted ads?? If they were ever placed in the US, it would be a Lawyers feast. It never ceases to amaze me that those who eat steak can't figure why others want a little more then the bones.
Jimbo
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Perhaps if you re-read my post, posted by Carrisse on Mar 29, 2001

A rising tide lifts all boats.  Gloria Macapagal knows this; that's why she's actively seeking foreign investment.

Jim

Jeff S
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... exploitive of your country's people, and bad for the country, why on earth did you work for them? Who ARE these captialists? a bunch of fat cats sitting around in board rooms smoking stogies and calling each other J.R.? No. they're the stock holders - average Americans who own pension plans, 401Ks, investments for their savings. Yes, they're even the blue collar people who'd like to put a little away for a rainy day or their golden years. These companies aren't in business for some altruistic reason, saving the world or helping all the poor people - they're in business to make the stockholders money. There's nothing intrinsically wrong or evil about that. People put up their hard earned cash and take a risk to get a return on their investments. Comparing this to the alternative, I'd say it works, too.

Didn't you say "maybe a little bit above our country's industry standards"?

-- Jeff S.

batty
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Summary, part 2, posted by shadow on Mar 29, 2001

Shadow, I fully understand how you feel about the streetchildren.. however, most of this streetchildren are being used by either their parents (lazy parents who uses their children to earn money thru begging) or some other group (i.e. a gang, or a group of policemen) and any money they earn will go to whoever manages them.. it is some kind of a mafia thing... some filipinos are aware of it, and what we usually do is give these children food instead of money or bring them to government accredited institutions where you can make your donations. The process of being accepted in these institutions involve a lot of paper work but don't blame the people running these institutions because if they don't require such , they can't function well and the goal of giving a new life to streetchildren under their care will not become a reality. I hope this helps a little.
shadow
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Summary, part 2, posted by batty on Mar 29, 2001

and in many instances gave away food instead of money. That way at least I knew where the money went. The standard P5 didn't hurt anybody one way or the other, though.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: