Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 05:50:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question about engagement rings  (Read 6732 times)
Matt
« on: September 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by Matt]

Howdy y'all!

I've searched the archives, and I've never seen this topic clarified. Can anyone help?

I did find these two messages:

http://www.planet-love.com/wwwboard/search/searchdisplay.php?page=asian&archive=000044&id=16827&bold[]=engagement&bold[]=rings

http://www.planet-love.com/wwwboard/search/searchdisplay.php?page=asian&archive=000044&id=16835&bold[]=engagement&bold[]=rings

I'm just curious about how one handles the engagement ring? Say one visits (insert the country of your choice) with plans of getting engaged and/or getting married. How does one find the ring size if it is to be a surprise? Are y'all buying the rings in (again, insert the country of your choice)?

Well, it's 0030 hours here in Georgia, and this is really bothering me.

Thanks!

Matt
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to A question about engagement rings, posted by Matt on Sep 28, 2003

n/t
Stephen
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to A question about engagement rings, posted by Matt on Sep 28, 2003

Here's what I did.

After Tess and I got engaged I went back to America.  I told her to go find a ring she liked.  She looked and told me she found rings for both of us.  The price was $420.  I sent her the money to purchase it, and that was the last of it.

$420 is a lot cheaper than you'd get by with here in America.

Stephen

Dave H
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

I wouldn't recommend wearing a flashy diamond or CZ ring (or expensive looking watches or jewelry) in the Philippines, especially in larger cities. At the very least it might be stolen or set you up for a robbery. At the other end of the spectrum, you could lose a finger, hand, or even your life!

Dave H.

Kreeger
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

I went on my instincts, knowing her body size and weight and guessing according to women that I knew here (my brother's wife, who is slightly taller than my wife). I guessed on a 5.5 size ring, based on the fact that my brother's wife wears a 6 and she is 5'3" and 115#, although not a Filipina. My wife is 5'1" and 92#. The guess was purely speculation, but it was half a size too big.

The funny thing was, we went to several jewelry stores to get her sized and it seems that sizes in the Phils are different than here. They sized her at size 6.5 and I saw the sizing rings they used... they were definitely different. Just do as Ray says and get it here, then size it to her if needed.  Good luck!

Dave H
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

Hi Matt,

As per my archieved post, I bought my wife's engagement ring in the Philippines. I proposed and we went together to pick out the ring. My wife (fiancee) would have been more than happy with a small wedding band, but I insisted on an engament ring also. Very few Filipinas have engagement rings. IMHO I don't think that the average Filipina is hung up on the Western belief that an engagement ring must be presented at the time of the marrige proposal.

Dave H.

NOX1967
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

I was pretty certain before I left so I took one with me. I have a good friend who is married to a small petite woman so I asked her ring size and used it. Turns out it was just right. I have a personal objection to the diamond trade so I got nice Russian CZ.

Ron

Peter Lee
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

Well Matt,

Once I deceided to make a full comitment with my gf in the Philippines we went to the Mall to look for a ring for her. The Mall in Cebu has serveral jewelry storesl and we found one that had a good asortment of what we wanted.  I was told that in the Philippines they don't get engaged and  a marriage ring is all they require.  So I got her a zarkonian diamond from Russia for 2200 peso.  Now she has a wedding ring and my Mom has a nice diamond ring for her that was handed down from the family that I will give her when she gets here.  But she prized that ring, it was the thought that counts.  But that's my story, I am a bit different so take it from there Matt.

Ray
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

Matt,

I think most jewelry stores carry rings in a few standard sizes and then adjust them for you after she tries it on. I purchased a diamond here in the States because almost every Filipino I know told me not to buy diamonds over there unless you are an expert gemologist. They said I’d surely get ripped off in the Phils.

Just guess at the ring size, bigger is better. You can always ask her shoe size and use that (it worked for Howard :-) ). My wife’s engagement ring and wedding band were too large but it only cost us P35 ($.75) for a good Filipino jeweler to adjust the size of each ring.

Traditionally, diamond engagement rings are not required in the Philippines. A simple gold wedding band is more traditional. The engagement ring is optional so there’s no need to feel obligated to splurge. I would keep it simple unless you’re rich (LOL).

Ray

Matt
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: A question about engagement rings, posted by Ray on Sep 28, 2003

n/t
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: