Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 05:51:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Airline Luggage Question  (Read 3483 times)
JJ27
« on: July 30, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

This may be a dumb question.. but I've never flown before..

I go from Chicago O'Hare to Detroit and then from Detroit
to Nagasaki, Japan.. and then off to Manila, Philippines.

I'm using the same airlines for the whole flight.. but when
I arrive in Detroit, do I need to get my checked luggage in
the airport before taking the second jet, or is it automatically
sent to Manila. I'm just wondering if I have to get it for each
flight, or if that end is taken care of once I leave O'Hare

Thanks!

DanAndChed
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Airline Luggage Question, posted by JJ27 on Jul 30, 2003

Nope.  They check your luggage all the way.  Unless you fly PAL.

Are you flying NW.  I took the flight your talking about.  It was quite a view flying over Canada and Alaska.  When you get to Japan, they unload the plane for about 30 minutes.  Then it's only 4 hours to Manila.  I like that route best.  From DC to LA and then LA to Hawaii and then Hawaii to the PI is the longest trip I've ever taken.

If your flying coach, it's hard to sleep.  Take some music and watch the movies.  You be there in no time.

Dan

Dave H
PAL
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Airline Luggage Question, posted by DanAndChed on Jul 30, 2003

Hey Dan,

We fly American Airlines from Miami to LA or San Francisco, then transfer to PAL for the flight to Manila. We have never touched a bag after loading them in Miami until we arrived in Manila (3 trips) and went through customs.

Dave H.

Dave H
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by Dave H]

Hi JJ,

Ask to have the bags checked through from Chicago to Manila. It shouldn't be a problem. You won't handle them again until you go through Philippine Customs in Manila. You will likely have to go through US Customs in Detroit (if that is the first place you land in the US) on the return trip.

This is how it works for us: We use American Airlines from Miami to LA or San Francisco, then PAL to Manila and on to Butuan City. We check in at the airline counter in Miami and ask to have the bags checked through to Manila (some employees will ask you). The employee tags the bags and sends us to the US Customs baggage check. We wait to make sure that the bags clear Customs (X-ray machine). After the bags clear Customs, they are put on a cart to be loaded onto our plane. We never touch or see them again until we arrive in Manila. There we take the bags off the belt and wheel them over to Philippine Customs, then put them back on the belt for the flight to Butuan City (you will be leaving the airport). On the return trip we go through Philippine Customs in Manila. In California we have to take the bags through US Customs and then check them in at American Airlines. My wife and I each bring a carryon and the maximum allowed weight in two suitcases each (pasalubong - gifts). I'm of Scottish descent and want to get my money's worth. ;o)))

Dave H.

Bear
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

Your luggage will be transfer without you doing anything since you are using the same airline (I suspect Northwest) all the way.  Coming back you will be natched to, and have to accompany, your luggage through customs but again afterwards it will be handled without out your concern to your final location.

You will not have to change planes in Nagasaki but you will have to de-planbe untill they refuel and restock for about 2-3 hours.  Your luggage including carry on will stay on the plane.

Bear and Honey

outwest77
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

When i went to San Fran or los Angeles, i went from united and then transferred to the international terminal and i had to get my baggage and move it and check it into china airlines etc, or Cathay Pacific
My last trip i went on Continental from albuq to houston to narita tokyo to guam, then to manila.
If i am not mistaken if you are on the same airline, you may not have to recheck it, but if you are switching to an international flight , i would think you might have to retrieve it then check it in.
   A good way to avoid that is, how i do it, Take a rolling carry on size and put all your stuff in there that you will need, clothes, shoes, toiletries, etc etc, you should not need to carry a suitcase to be checked in.
   Then you also are allowed a small briefcase size bag  etc, ie BACKPACK, i carry in my backback anything i will need on the flight, earplugs, eye sleep covers, magazine, snacks)they never feed you enough carry extra snacks in your backpack......also tickets, passport, camera, anything of value in the backpack. Thats how i do it anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: