Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 27, 2024, 08:58:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stephen, How did you know?  (Read 15188 times)
Darrell123
« on: March 25, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

First, thank you to everyone who helped me along.  I did not want to post anything until I knew for sure that Mizza was on her way.  Stephen, how did you find out?  We're both very happy about this and I cannot wait to see Mizza again.  Thus far, she is scheduled to get here on the 10th of April.  Actually, I got the one way airfare from Ron Perry.  The ticket was $725.00.   I understand that the fares now are beginning to rise.  So now all Mizza has to do is get her ticket and fly on home.  Oh, she's has no fear whatsoever about flying.  Good for her.  Well, I let everyone know when she actually gets here.  Thanks again, This board has been a true friend to me.  Peace, Darrell.
Jay
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Stephen, How did you know?, posted by Darrell123 on Mar 25, 2001

Hi Darrell,

How are you? I'm amazred and pleasently surprised to hear that Mizza is ready to come here. WOW! Seem's like yesterday that you were still trying to get on that plane.

Ya know what? Back in August '00, my wife and I travelled from Houston to Ft. Lauderdale on a Greyhound. My first time in 20 year's. My wifes' first time. Well, 20 yrs. ago, thing's were o.k. on a Greyhound. They allowed cigarettte smoking and there was alway's a party going on in the back of the bus. People drinking, getting high etc.. I knew thing's were different now, of course, (no smoking now and that tend's to curb the partying), but I didn't know how different.

The first bus was too full, a grandmother was kicked off the second bus before leaving Houston for speaking spanish to the driver, another lady was kicked off in Louisiana for asking about the wherabout's of her luggage, and all of us were yelled and screamed at all the way until crossing into Florida. We even had a Filipino driver from Tallahasee to somewhere (?), who tried to mess w/ Criselda and I about rest break times, but I could see him smile everytime he turned around. I called him Gen. Ramos. When we had an axle problem, he made a five minute announcement repeating the same stuff over and over in a strong Filipino accent. Like this, "Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh, latiieeesss, ant gentelman's, we are habinnnggg a problemmmm wit de bushhhhh, deeee, aaaahhhhh, axle, ant aaaaaahhh, it ees broken......", well you get it. I was craking up, as I KNOW only my wife and I could understand this guy. Smiley

That was the only real humourous part, the rest was a nightmare and we both swore we would never travel Greyhound again. God willing, we never will. I told Criselda (she know's your story) on more than one occasion, that I don't know how Darrell could turn around 3 times after going all the way to L.A. (I felt sorry for the folk's going on to L.A. after we got off in Houston on the way back) and get BACK on that thing! LOL! I would have much rather caught a plane after that nightmare!

Anyway, have been wanting to tell you about that for a while. Really happy for you both. I can't believe it's almost over for you. I had my doubt's for a while that you would, but you did. I'm real glad. All the paperwork and visa is done, huh? Very fast.

I hope you can use this as an example to yourself that you can get past anything if you try.

God bless you both,
Good-luck,

Jay

kevin
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Stephen, How did you know?, posted by Jay on Mar 27, 2001

In October 1989, I rode the Greyhound system from Seattle to Providence.  For some parts of the ride, I could stretch.  Other parts of the ride, passengers were cramped in like sardines.  It wasn't comfortable as the gas built up.

I have a memorable story from that trip in North Dakota on October 14, 1989 (I won't go into details on this board).  That was a classic and for those I share this kind of humor with, the mention of "October 14" conjures up this hilarious event.  Now coincidentially, October 14 happens to be the birthday of my mahal.

- Kevin

Darrell123
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Stephen, How did you know?, posted by Jay on Mar 27, 2001

Jay, thanks.  It was a long, long, long, road, but we're almost there.  Actually, I like riding the Greyhound bus.  You meet all kinds of interesting people on the buses.  It might be a good idea to just take three months off and travel on the Greyhound from city to city.  Darrell.
Jay
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Stephen, How did you know?, posted by Darrell123 on Mar 27, 2001

Hi Darrell,

Oh yea, you meet ALL KIND'S of intersting people. That's a fact. I once took a trip from San Francisco to Washington, D.C.. that was in '81. What a story.

Personally, I'd rather drag my testi's through 20 miles of broken glass then get on another greyhound! Smiley I'll take a 747 anytime!

Jay

logan_jiang21
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

Two problems I've had with Greyhound

1) I was traveling to nevada after a serious bout of homelessness I was broke no money spent it all on a bus ticket. The bus broke down in GrandJunction Co. They told me I didn't pay for my extra luggage. It was carry on when I got on the bus when it broke down I had to pay extra for my carry on. I didn't have it so I had to leave it.

2) I was picking up a friend but the location had changed about 4 times since the last time I used the bus stop. 4 hours and 100 miles worth of driving later I found the new bus stop.

If I had to take the bus again I'd seriously consider walking no matter how far Smiley

Lori
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Greyhound sucks, posted by logan_jiang21 on Mar 27, 2001

I used to go to des moines to visit my sister when I was in high school. No big deal, only about a 3 hour trip.
When I was married we decided to go from Iowa to wisconsin. They "lost" our luggage, and it seemed every stop we made was in the worst part of town. Spend the extra bucks...and fly
Jeff S
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to big time!!, posted by Lori on Mar 27, 2001

Every time I rode the iron dawg back in my college days, I was astounded at the people - most were scary. On the other hand, every time I rode the train, I met mostly friendly and fascinating people. Try Amtrack, you'll like it and it doesn't cost much more than the bus.
SteveG
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Stephen, How did you know?, posted by Darrell123 on Mar 25, 2001

Darrell,
 Congratulations!!   April 10 is right around the corner - just enough time to get things in order for Mizza's arrival.   The plane ticket doesn't sound all THAT high
to me.   One-Ways are always more than half Round-Trip cost.  You are in Florida, right??  It DOES cost a few pesos more to cross the US, a detail many people forget.  It seems that people always have to challenge ticket costs, maybe so they can tell how they got a better deal?  LOL   When Melly got her VISA it was somewhere around $1500 one way purchased directly from NW airlines.   Since then we have learned about travel agents specializing in Philippine travel so the exact same NW flights can be had for around $1000 from Alabama to Mindano.
                                            SteveG
Ray
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Stephen, How did you know?, posted by SteveG on Mar 25, 2001

Steve,

You’re right, some people are forgetting that Darrell has to fly her all the way to Florida, so her ticket is subject to the new “swinging chad” tax :-)

For comparison, my wife purchased her ticket in Cebu last week. The one-way rates from Cebu to Los Angeles were $380 for PAL and $360 for Cathay Pacific (plus taxes). But on April 1st, both airlines’ fares increase to $490 because it’s high season (Holy Week coming up). With taxes and all, she paid $422. I have no idea what the fare from the West coast to Florida is, but I know it’s not free.

How’s that little one of yours doing?

Ray

SteveG
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Current Fares, posted by Ray on Mar 25, 2001

Ray,
 She's asleep with her mother at the moment.  It's hard  to believe she can make so much noise when awake after looking at her sweet innocent face right now!  LOL   She's up over 10 lbs from a birth weight of 6 lb 12 ozs.   This fatherhood thing is really something else.   Everyday the baby changes and is starting to make attempts to "talk" now.

Speaking of Airfares, I'm leaving for New York in a few minutes and depending on what airports I was to fly into, the cost varied from $1093 to $251!!   Guess which one my supervisor approved?  haha

Gotta go catch that plane.....

SteveG

Bear
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

nt
tito
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Ron Peters rips off another!!!!!!!........., posted by Bear on Mar 25, 2001

ms
Bear
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to who is Ron Peters?.............Lol........., posted by tito on Mar 25, 2001

nt
humabdos
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

Sounds way high to me! It shouldn't have cost more than $550
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: