Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
September 27, 2024, 09:25:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multi entry and Social Security??  (Read 8979 times)
capt david
« on: May 11, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

I live on the Mexican border. I know that Era can get something that allows her to go across the border and back. We often go "across" to eat. What does she need and when do we apply? Also, when does she apply for a social security card and work permit? She probably won't work anytime soon, but she will need them to get a Texas Identy card/drivers liscense,and/etc. We will marry as soon as possible, and have the ceremony later. thanks in advance, capt david
Jeff S
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Multi entry and Social Security??, posted by capt david on May 11, 2003

.. by all means heed Ray's advice about NOT taking her out of the country. I know how easy it is for us gringos to go back and forth across the border of Mexico, but don't assume it's so with your fiance/wife until she has either a green card or an advance parole document. The reason the border patrol agent always asks everyone where they're from and requires them to speak in their own voice is because they're specially trained to recognize accents - even very slight ones.

My secretary is a dark skinned Mexican-American goes to Mexico a couple times per month and has never even been asked for her driver's license when returning to the US. She just says "US Citizen" and they wave her through. Her uncle tried the same thing after practicing saying "US citizen" over and over until no one could tell it from a native speaker. The agent at the border, after hearing him say "US citizen" immediately responded with, "You were born in Michoacan. Show me some paperwork."

The border patrol isn't just attuned to Mexicans either. As I understand it the well refined people smuggling networks in Mexico result in it being the main conduit for South American, Chinese and Russian illegal aliens also. They'll pick your wife out in a heartbeat.

If you are caught smuggling an illegal alien they'll impound your car (for good) and get you in a world of trouble. I'm not assuming you were planning anything illegal, just trying to reinforce the seriousness of what you'll be up against, even if you make an unknowing mistake.

- Jeff

Mita
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Yes, Cap..., posted by Jeff S on May 12, 2003

Jeff,
Does this mean I can travel to and from Mexico with just my Philippine passport and green card?  Filipinos need a visa to enter Mexico.
Ray
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Yes, Cap..., posted by Mita on May 12, 2003

Hi Mita,

You don't need your passport, just your green card.

Filipino citizens do need a visa to travel in Mexico, but U.S. green card holders are treated like U.S. citizens. As long as you stay within the border region (border cities and 15-20 miles from the border) and aren’t going to stay over 3 days, you will be legal in Mexico.

If you want to travel beyond the border area or stay longer, you will need a tourist card. Like Jeff said, phone any Mexican consulate in advance for more info.

When you return to the U.S., your green card will get you back in (unless you had too much tequila).

Notes:
DON’T drink the water! (there’s a fella named Montezuma who will get pissed if you do)
DO drink the tequila! (sparingly)
DON’T eat the tacos from street vendors! (unless you like asocena :-) )

Ray

Jeff S
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Yes, Cap..., posted by Mita on May 12, 2003

I know that Canada allows US permanent residents (green card holders) the same access as US citizens, but Mexico says that tourist card holders must be US citizens. I suspect getting a visa is easy if you have a green card and are married to a US citizen, probably for the asking and a small fee. Mariko travels back and forth at will, but Japanese citizens, North American citizens and citizens of the EU don't need a visa. I'd check with the Mexican consulate before hopping on a plane.

- Jeff

Mita
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to I think maybe not, Mita, posted by Jeff S on May 12, 2003

Thank you for that information.
Hubby always mentioned going on a vacation in San Diego and crossing the border into Mexico.  I was always reluctant about it but will check with the consulate as you said.
Regards,
Mita
Jeff S
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: I think maybe not, Mita, posted by Mita on May 14, 2003

I was thinking you were planning to go to Puerto Vallarta or Cancun via plane. It should be no problem if you stay in the border town(s.) Before you go, let me know. I used to run a twin plant operation one in TJ and teh other SoCal - so was there at least three or four times a month for several years & still have friends there. Parts of Tijuana are really nice but other parts can be really crappy. I'll give you some great places to stay eat, go dancing, etc., especially good seafood available down there - Huachinango al mojo de ajo - Yum.

- Jeff

Peaches
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: I think maybe not, Mita, posted by Mita on May 14, 2003

hi mita!

i crossed the border about a year ago w/ my hubby.  i just
presented my temp green card then i able to get back. they did not
even ask my phil passprt. i guess it depends probably on who s on
duty - strict or not so strict, maybe. but it's always good to have
precautions we never know.

goodluck!

peaches

Mita
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: I think maybe not, Mita, posted by Peaches on May 14, 2003

Oh wow!  That's great news!  Thanks, Peaches.
Maybe hubby and I can make that trip after all.  But I will take precautions just as you advised.

Thanks again,
Mita

lswote
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

Do you know whether a person that has a valid spousal visa stamped in their passport also needs to take their green card too?
Jeff S
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Related question, posted by lswote on May 12, 2003

If she has it, she should always bring it along. If not, I don't know - I suspect you'll need advance parole, just as with an AOS K1, but don't take my word for it. I'm not up on K3s.

- Jeff

lswote
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Related question, posted by Jeff S on May 12, 2003

I don't know what advance parole is but she is free to travel as she chooses with the spousal visa.  I don't think she needs the green card as she has a 2 year visa, but I was checking to make sure.
Bob S
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Related question, posted by lswote on May 12, 2003

Don't be so sure.  Is it a single entry visa or a multi-entry visa?  If a spousal visa is single entry, she won't be allowed back in if she takes even a short trip outside the country.

BTW, my work visa here was single entry.  So I had to go to the prefecture immigration office to get a special multi-entry permit so I could take some vacations outside the country.  It's a hassle, but easier than dealing with the INS in the States.

lswote
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to There are visas, then there are visas, posted by Bob S on May 13, 2003

It is a multi-entry visa.
Jimbo
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

Heck, those guys would probably stop me too.  I've got a Pilipino accent and I don't even speak the language.  Every year it gets worse.  Last week I told someone that he would look better if he shaved off his bird.  He didn't know what I was talking about :-)

Jim

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: