Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 05:55:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about the trip.  (Read 1573 times)
JJ27
« on: May 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

I'm going to be taking my trip to PI in late July,
and I'll be there for 2 weeks. I'm going to Manila,
where my girlfriend will meet me, and then we are
going to the island of Leyte. Her family lives in
the Southern Leyte Province. Is anyone familiar with
this area? Are their cities in this region or is it
mostly rural area? I asked her if their are hotels
there, and she told me that their aren't really any,
and that I can stay with her and we can both stay in
her family's home. How much U.S. money should I bring
with me for the trip? I want to make sure that I bring
more than enough, but I really don't know what to expect.
Howard
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Questions about the trip., posted by JJ27 on May 14, 2003

[This message has been edited by Howard]

JJ,

I was in Southern Leyte in 99. Cities vary in size, but the largest I saw were Maasin and Sogod.  Maasin was a pretty well accomidated city(by Philippine Standards) and Sogod was more like a big Suburb.  There was a market and stores, but it just wasn't as well equiped as Maasin.

What to expect?  Well... expect agriculture and LOTS of it!  From what I saw it's mostly farm land.  I will say that it's breathtakingly beautiful, at least where I was (90 Minutes South East of Sogod) bring lots of film Smiley  There were no Hotels where I was either, I stayed with the family I went to visit as well and did fine Smiley

If you depend on the conveniences we take for granted here, you might be in for a rough two weeks.  If you enjoy camping and adventure, you should have a blast!  The people are very friendly and have an obsessive intrest in what time it is where you are from Tongue  They will be lining up--LITERALLY--to practice their mastery of the English language on you and I'm sure you will be the talk of the Barangay!  Depending on the size of the Barangay you stay in, you may be in for dinner with the Mayor (Barangay Captain) and be ready to meet more cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents than you thought humanly possible Smiley

Credit Cards work great in Manila, but not in So. Leyte--outside of Tacloban and Maasin--when I was there.  I took $600.00 cash (The exchange rate was lower in 99) and did fine for 9 days.  You might wanna take a little more, but that's up to you.  Traveller's checks are a TOTAL hassle down there!!!  We had to drive 90 minutes to wait in line 2 hours to cash them.  It sucked!  So in Southern Leyte--at least circa 1999--cash is king! Offer to buy the groceries, it's way cheaper than a hotel and it will help accomidate the hoards of extra guests that will show up around meal time Smiley

Ohhhhh... and watch out for the Carabao!  When they are racing, they will try and run you over!!!

If you have any more questions, or want more insight, just email me Smiley  My advice is yours to do with what you will Smiley

What Barangay is your Girl from???

Have a SAFE trip!

Keep the Faith!

H
PS:  The toilet paper DOES go down the toilet Smiley  Long Story Tongue  LOL

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: