Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 05, 2024, 10:29:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finished a Trip to Cebu with questions  (Read 79030 times)
Ray
CFO
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Nonsense!, posted by Peter Lee on Feb 6, 2003

Sure Peter. Here’s some info on the CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas). This is run by the Philippine government and has nothing to do with the US embassy requirements. She will have to complete the seminar before leaving the country. They will likely require her to attend before they give her a passport.

Part of the program is to scare the young gals a little by showing them some of the bad things that could happen to them in their new home. Some of the moderators have been known to be particularly hard on very young girls who are going to marry much older foreigners.

http://www.cfo.gov.ph/filmigrants_text.htm

Ray

donb2222
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Finished a Trip to Cebu with que..., posted by Peter Lee on Feb 6, 2003

Hi Peter,
 You will find that most filipinos think that all americans live like millionaires.  They will tell you that they know exactly what america is like.  Why, because they have seen American movies. Yes, most believe America is just like the movies.  Also, returning Filipinos do not tell the truth about  America.  Many of them will want to brag and show off, and therefore add to the distorted view of America.

Also, it is great that you are keeping yourself in shape, but the age difference is not physical, it is mental. And, it is probably you that will have to do most of the adjusting, not her.

Of course her family is accepting of you.  You and your new bride will be expected to be their retirement plan.
Far too many Americans send exorbitant amounts of money to the Phils, and the word has gotten around that marriage to a foreigner is very profitable.

Yes, I am generalizing, but the more you know about their impression of America and Americans, the better prepared you will be .

Good Luck, and remember that time is your best friend :0)

Don

Peter Lee
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to We are all millionaires....., posted by donb2222 on Feb 6, 2003

Thanks Don,
I looked into me being a retirement plan right from the start.  None of the guys here that married filipinas are doing the husband retirement plan.   Her dad seems well off with a good farm.  No one mentioned any money yet except her school if we got enguaged and we did.   School is 3500pasos i can handle.  It is almost commitment money, after all she will be my wife.  But no money asked for any relative so maybe i am lucky, that is why i thought this was a special case. Yes i agree time is my best friend but under the present sytem i don't have much of a choice.  So if i process paper work now i will have plenty of time to get to know her more.  And i do plan on going again for 4 weeks in June or July knowing that each day will be closer to the interview.  Is my approch reasonable?
donb2222
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: We are all millionaires....., posted by Peter Lee on Feb 6, 2003

Many of the guys here or their wives DO send money to the Phils. Many Filipinas are raised from birth believing that it is the childrens responsiblity to provide everything for the parents when they are older.  The requests from the other family members will come later.....

Don

Esiang
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to We are all millionaires....., posted by donb2222 on Feb 6, 2003

Oh..oh.....
    I dont believe it eversince I was at school learning everything from Math to History.....
    We are all the same human being we go to work etc..etc...the only difference is eversince your government established in the history it was well done and your leaders are really really doing their job for their country.
    I think living like millionaire's is too exagerating like Joe Millionaire? ha..ha...
    However I would say true when you say returning Filipino's who will not tell the truth about America but those are arrogant Filipinos.....as a matter of fact some are actually turning into being an Americans..That's why so far I dont really have filipino friends here except for my Best friend and my old american ladies friends who were back then young in the 50's and 60's.....
    Nowadays every Filipinos with their television on and watch the news from everywhere around the world will have atleast a little knowledge of what it's like to be in every country. But really not a millionaire......
    If you do live in the Phils. well you could be a millionaire....
    America is not like movies, movies is part of Art....
I guess the right words to say is that Filipino's love American movies why co'z it's nice compare to Filipino movies where it's all the same story over and over again.
    Filipino's who believe Americans live like millionaires are the one's who doesn't like American movies.
That's what I know......
donb2222
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: We are all millionaires....., posted by Esiang on Feb 6, 2003

Hi Esiang,
 I do not think  "we are all millionaires", that is just a joke.
Many Filipinos do watch American movies, and do think that all americans live like millionaires.
Anyway, thanks for your inforamtion, it is always good to hear from the Filipinas.

Don

Esiang
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: We are all millionaires....., posted by donb2222 on Feb 6, 2003

Oh! I'm sorry I take it seriously lol......he..he...
Dave H
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: We are all millionaires....., posted by Esiang on Feb 6, 2003

[This message has been edited by Dave H]

Hi Esiang,

One of the many things I respect about my wife is that she tells Filipinos what life is really like in America...both the positive and the negative. Some people complain that she is still simple and hasn't changed when she returns. To which she responds, "Why should I?" Shocked)

Dave H.

SteveG
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Filakanas..., posted by Dave H on Feb 6, 2003

[This message has been edited by SteveG]

Dave,
 Melly's friends said the same thing when she went back the first time after 2yrs in the US.   They were expecting her to arrive in a Limousine with lots of jewlelry but she rode into town on a jeepy wearing the same clothes she left with.  She told them, "Why should I change just because I live somewhere else!?"   Are you sure we aren't somehow married to the same woman, Dave???   LOL
                             SteveG
Dave H
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Filakanas..., posted by SteveG on Feb 7, 2003

Hey Steve,

...the same woman, as my wife has been out of town for a few weeks...but I think she's in the Philippines. ROFLMAO!

Dave H.

SteveG
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Could be..., posted by Dave H on Feb 7, 2003

HMMMMMMMmmmm,
  Melly was gone for quite a while but just got back here a few weeks ago................  LOL   Maybe we should do some finger printing here.   Tongue
                                      SteveG
Dave H
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to OhNo!!!, posted by SteveG on Feb 7, 2003

[This message has been edited by Dave H]

Hey Steve,

They seem to have a lot in common! They both have black hair, black eyes, are Filipinas, both names begin with "M"... I think we need to look into this further...besides it will keep us out of trouble for a while. Shocked)))

Dave H.

SteveG
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to I Think You're Right!, posted by Dave H on Feb 7, 2003

She just called me Dave.   This is it.....  LOL
                               SteveG
SteveG
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to I Think You're Right!, posted by Dave H on Feb 7, 2003

Dave,
 Yeah, how many small, dark eyed, black haired Filipinas could there be with first names starting with "M"?!  My gosh, I think we have stumbled on the ultimate con-woman!  And to think she's here with me now acting so innocent......
                          SteveG
Dave H
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: I Think You're Right!, posted by SteveG on Feb 7, 2003

Hey Steve,

She keeps calling me Dudong! Hmmm...lets keep this our little secret for now. Then we will arrange to be at the same place, at the same time and spring the trap! Shocked)))

Dave "Dudong" H.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: