Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 04:56:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reflections of a Desparate Woman  (Read 2226 times)
Lori
« on: January 21, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

First of all, I want to say that I was not totally honest with you all about everything. Don't get me wrong, at the time I thought i was, but now looking back, I realize I was looking through some very rose colored glasses . Hind-sight is always the best sight,as thay say, huh guys?

I think one of the mistakes those of us who fail at this make,is, that we assume our situation is differant than everyone elses. Therefore if certain things happen that should be standing red flags, we mix it up with excuses and at the time, everything feels great. My excuse was the way we met. What could go wrong? These people were my neighbors. I knew them. But, think to yourself, do we REALLY know our neighbors? When we first started talking about Thai, the immediatly subject of marrage came up (red flag). At first I thought they we crazy, then after awhile I thought maybe this was not such a bad idea.

That's when I found you guys. There were so many success stories. I researched the vietnamese culture. I tried to find everything I could. There were countless web sites on the family structure. Women were a little RESTRAINED should I say? They had a family structure simular to a kingdom and I believe the women would rank as peasants. (red flag) But I thought that was in the old days. Things had changed. I watched my neighbors and they seemed to be pretty equal. It was not untill later when her husband sold the house and bought a new one against her wishes that I realized this family system was probably still in practice.

My trip to Vietnam was full of red flags. I always asked his family how tall Thai was (I'm 5'7"). They always told me he was much taller  than me. In fact when I got their he was much shorter than me. It did'nt matter to me, the fact was that they straight out lied about it.(red flag)
Before I went on my trip, Thai told me that $2000 would not be enough money for me to bring. (huge red flag)Vietnam is one of the cheapest counrties,cheaper than the phils even. I actually had avout 900 dollars left after various trips and many souveniers. But I only came home with about 150.  I'll tell you why. When I was there Thai managed to A) lose his cell phone B) lose $150 us of his bosses money. I gave him the $150. I offered to buy him a cell phone, but he wanted the $500  one, not the $100 that I was offering to buy. So, at least he did not get a cell phone from me. But after our engagement party, he did show me the total amount that was spent and I felt guily and paid half(red flag). The bride NEVER pays for the wedding etc. in that country.(RED FLAGS all over the place in this paragraph)
Also while I was in Vietnam Thai would dissappear for a day or so. He said it was work. I know a few times his brothers were arguing with him about me.(red flag) His nefew told me later that they were mad because they didn't feel he was spending enough time with me. But maybe it was because of another woman. I'll let you know about that a little later.

Ray
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Reflections of a  Desparate Woman, posted by Lori on Jan 21, 2003

Don't be so hard on yourself!

It's O.K. to assume that your situation is different from everyone else's because after all, it is different. We all took a gamble when we decided to marry. Life is just one big gamble anyway when you get right down to it.

You seem like the kind of person who can learn from your mistakes and get on with your life. I wish you better luck next time.

Never give up!

Ray

SteveG
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Reflections of a  Desparate Woman, posted by Lori on Jan 21, 2003

Lori,
  First of all, welcome back to PL.   I figured you were out there lurking somewhere and would eventually show back up!   Yeah, those red flags are darned bright and clear when viewed all at once in hindsight, aren’t they?    The problem is, as you said, in real time they just zoom by all mixed in with the excitement of an exotic vacation, experiencing a new culture, hopes for “Happy Ever After” with the person of your dream, etc.    I always felt as if you had the cards stacked against you statistically due to putting all your hopes on only one man but I hoped for the best for you anyway.    Of course, I know this whole system of meeting foreign spouses is not set up for women, so you were out there pioneering it on your own to even try it.   At the very least you should be proud of yourself for having the courage to try it.    Not much else to say except that I am sorry for the way it turned out for you.

I agree with your skepticism about putting faith in an introduction from a family member or how this will add any degree of confidence that the person you are contacting is better morally, ethically or anything else than a total stranger picked from a website based on physical attraction and two sentences of comments.   In fact, I think it will more often than not give the American a false sense of security, which will cause them to ignore warning signs.    At least I believe this to be true if you do as I have seen recommended and just go out and talk to a few Asians at some Chinese restaurant a few times and then ask them if they have any relatives ‘back home’ that would like to meet an American.    Think of it – if they are dishonest and have a relative they badly want over here, you have just volunteered to do all the dirty work for them.    

Now, I know you had no choice as to the number of men you were in contact with because of what I said before about this system being set up only for men so don’t take any of this personally or even remotely as an ”I told you so”, I don’t mean it that way.   I’m just preaching to maybe help the guys in the early stages of this adventure.   J  OK,  now that my intentions are known - any man who takes the same path of fooling himself into thinking he is doing the honorable thing by writing to, calling, emailing or visiting only one woman is risking ending up the same way.     You guys starting this can all sit there and say, “It can’t happen to me – I’m in control” but I promise you, you are human and if you devote a year or so and thousands of dollars, not to even mention all the emotional energy, on only one woman and later start to find out she isn’t right for you for whatever reason……those red flags can flap in your face until you have windburn on your ears and you’ll try everything in your power to rationalize them away.    I know.    It’s not easy to come back home and tell everyone you’re calling off a wedding and starting over again.    I did it, so I know – trust me!    You feel like you’ve been hit by a train.     To sum it up, sure some guys go to see one girl and find their dreams have come true but then some guys buy lottery tickets and win too, but that doesn’t make buying lottery tickets a good strategy for paying your house payment!    

Oh yeah, not all Vietnamese men dominate their wives.    I only know one well enough to see how he interacts with his wife but in their case it is more like an American couple…he even quit his job to move across the country to live closer to her parents….and then when she changed her mind that that wasn’t what she really wanted, he came back and got another job in this area.    One factor that is different here is that they both came to the US as young teens so maybe that influences their attitudes towards gender roles in marriage.    Who knows?Huh

SteveG

Esiang
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Sounds very interesting...

I'm looking forward to your story.......

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: