Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 04:54:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back in the USA/Reflections on a GREAT Trip  (Read 3074 times)
Howard
« on: January 22, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Well... I am back in the states.  

Of course, I left my heart in Panabo City!  

I am going over everything in my head and preparing my trip report, but in the mean while I just wanted to reflect and wax poetic a bit Tongue

The "Old Guard" here has known many of these things all along, but for me--even though some might consider me part of the "Old Guard" here Tongue--a lot is shiny and new.  I see some new handles here, so hopefully the new guys will benefit from my expiriences, like I have benefitted from so many others over the years.  For those who don't know where I stand on certain issues... you'll find out Tongue  LOL

One of the things that really knocked me for a loop is the negative perception of Americans by Filipinos.  The "Company Line" states that we are loved there, but that isn't really very close to the truth.  Yes, Filipinos are willing to give us the benefit of the doubt, we get that for simply being American, but there is caution that lies close to the surface, mostly due to the one or two bad apples that have given Filipinos reason to question all American's motives.  Personally, this irritates me.  My irritation is not directed at them, but at those who create the bad press for us--the guys with honorable intentions!  

I have long been an advocate, an unpopular one at times, of not meeting a zillion women on one trip.  I can't see how you can spend quality time getting to know someone, while looking at your watch to make sure you're not late for the next one.  Two, I could see.  If you can't narrow it down enough with preliminary communication, especially the way the internet has exploded over there, you're doing something wrong in my opinion.  But, that's me.  Everyone has their own process.  I try not to judge.  I just speak as my conscience dictates Smiley

One of the stories heavily making the rounds is LV's scam.  No, I don't think this guy is original enough to have started it, but he's the name we know through Ken.  In fact, LV is visiting, or so he has promised, a friend of Gerlie's when he returns to the Philippines in February or March.  I about CHOKED when Gerlie told me!!!  I had a long talk with her friend Eva and admitted that, while I do not know the whole story, the facts are pretty clear.  He is married, which he supposedly does not deny.  Personally, I cannot fathom going through all that trouble to get laid!  Then again, I am just across the bridge from Windsor where prostitution is legal Tongue  LOL  But, I digress...  Anyway, Eva is so desperately searching for Mr Right, that she is buying whatever LV is selling hook, line and sinker!  I just advised her to be careful and to get him to take her to Paradise Island Resort, so at least she would get a nice vacation out of it, if nothing else Wink  LOL

See that's part of the problem too.  I, like most of you here, am a good guy.  Eva has made Gerlie quite upset, more than once, telling her I am just like all the rest, which I am NOT.  Now that Gerlie and her family have met me and find me to be honorable and sincere, that will make it easier for the next guy.  If he's a good guy, GREAT!  But, what if the next guy is a scammer?  Eva and a few of the others checked me out from top to bottom.  The result was that I'm okay.  That's great for Gerlie and I, but could it make a door easier to open for someone that shouldn't be allowed entrance?  Even with everyone approving of me, there are still those who have their doubts.  

There was a party we were invited to on Saturday night.  My sinuses were acting up something awful but, I went anyway.  After about an hour, my head was KILLING me!  I mean I was in PAIN!  Gerlie noticed that I wasn't quite myself and asked what was wrong.  I told her what was up and she asked if I wanted to go back to Little Panay and rest.  I told her that I really felt terrible, but that I didn't want to offend anyone since they were so gracious to invite me in the first place.  She said they would understand and that she would just explain to her Nanay what was up and then we would sneak off.  

On the way out, the guest of honor arrived.  The party was for her cousin's 22nd brithday.  Not wanting to offend, we stayed, sang Happy Birthday, had some food and then made our exit.  We grabbed a Jeepney back to Little Panay, I took some medication and a long shower.  

After the shower, the medicine kicked in and I started to feel a little better.  I wandered into the front room to find Gerlie, Nanay, three aunts, Her youngest brother Lowell and Nephews Brian and Jayruse all sitting and chatting.  

The kids started playing a game which consisted of spinning a bottle and whoever it pointed to had to ask me a question in English.  If it pointed to me, I could ask anyone that I chose from the group a question.  During the game Gerlie and Aunt Dede disappeared.  

Later as Gerlie tucked me in for sleep Wink, I asked her where she went.  She said she was just talking to her Aunt.  Feeling that something wasn't quite right I pressed a bit.  She confessed that she walked in on someone, involved in conversation, who didn't buy that I felt sick and was the one who wanted to leave the party.  Not knowing Gerlie had walked in, it was said that this person felt it was actually Gerlie who wanted to leave, because she was afraid that I would fall in love with her cousin!  Where the F&*% did THAT come from???  Were they questioning Gerlie's ability to keep me interested or my character???  Was it simple "Crab Mentality"?  I don't know, but I take for what it's worth.  Nothing.  I didn't let it bother me too much because those that matter to me, Gerlie and her Family, knew the truth.  But I still wonder how someone could be told the truth and come up with that fantasy!

I guess I take this all too personally sometimes, but it bothers me that I have to prove myself because others have proven themselves to be disingenuous, but I guess it's the same all over.  I have no problem giving those that matter the opportunity to get to know me.  In fact, I welcome their inquiries.  I will, after all, become part of their family Smiley  I just think it sucks that I am automaticly in defense mode, because of other's misdeeds.  

This is how it might be for those of you at the begining of your journey.  So don't take it too personally and remember that you're representing more than yourself when you visit.  Good OR bad Tongue

Well... the nervous energy is wearing off and I am exhausted after a 29hr trek, more than half way across the world!  Your thoughts are welcomed!  I will share more of mine as time progresses Smiley

Oh... Yes, Mares... it WAS an Engagement ring Wink  Her family approved and I will now start the K-1 Process!  Hopefully it won't be too long before I see my Mahal again Smiley

Keep the Faith!

H

Jay
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Back in the USA/Reflections on a GREAT T..., posted by Howard on Jan 22, 2003

Hi Big H.,

Glad to hear all went well. Really looking forward to the chronicles and pics.

Welcome Home,
Jay

DanAndChed
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Back in the USA/Reflections on a GREAT T..., posted by Howard on Jan 22, 2003

hey, big bro... What can I say, I'm so happy for you and and Congrat's... But one thing, Can my baby Dannise be your Flower girl?
NoNamePinay
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Hi Howard,
glad to see you're back and really enjoyed reading your trip report and can't wait to read the next part if there's more? Smiley and like what Stephen said we'd like to see pictures Wink I'm so happy for you & Gerlie, Best wishes to you both!!!

NNP

Esiang
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Hi H and Gerlie,

Congratulations!!!
I knew it, it was the ring ha..ha..

Yeah, it's such a shallow minded person it is
and definitely insecure....I am not surprise about this attitude in Filipino's especially neighbors, they usually just make crazy rumors.....

I say Hurray! for Gerlie and Boo! to that
insecure person....
        What's so important is that you and Gerlie are
in-love with each other no matter what people say...

I do really felt bad for Eva's still interested to
LV, the fact that she know's he's married?Huh
         What's up?Huh
I dont know if she's up to Mr. Right?Huh

I just hope she'll change her mind about LV,
just try to analyze....
         Based on my CFO seminar some women who turns
out to be unfortunate with their man let's say being
abused etc...etc...it's really bad...Are the ones who
knowingly know the facts that he's got this bad record
etc...etc...even before they got married and yet she's
still going with him despite advices of CFO people...

It's really sad, I just hope that Eva should
really be careful....very careful......
         Finding Mr. Right is not that easy, it takes
a lot of carefulness.......

Concern Esiang

Bear
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

to somethings that occurred on my trip where Honey's older, fat and ugly cousin seemed to think that she could take me away from Honey.  Did a lot of things to make Honey's life miserable from the day that little pig came into our life.  From what I hear she still bad mouths Honey every chance she gets.  I'm like you, why would anyone think one meeting would convince you to change your mind about someone who you had been in communicating with for months and just came half way around the world to see.  What arogance!!!  BTW, don't mention any old girlfriends.  I found that one out after a week of tampo and it was all totally  unintentional.  Gerlie's probably somewhat like Honey and doesn't have much confidence.  I spend a lot of my time encouraging and building Honey's ego, you may have to also.  Especially if she can believe such a wild rumor like the one you mentioned.

Congradulations to both of you.

Bear and honey

Stephen
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

That's great.

I'm excited for you.  And can't wait to hear your CHRONICLES....PART II.

Oh, yeah....give us some pictures.

Stephen & Tess

Dave H
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

Hi H and Gerlie,

Congratulations to both of you!!! This is GREAT news!

Everything gets questioned by "friends" and family...from where you went after you got on the plane home, to why is the paperwork taking so long. Questions may be based on a limited knowledge of Kanos and rumors...but are expressed purely out of jealousy, not concern. Gerlie will need a whole lot of patience, trust, and faith for the next few months that you are appart. I know you two have the love! Good Luck to both of you.

Dave & Marife H.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: