Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 05:38:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resort and Hotel Report  (Read 8955 times)
Jimbo
« on: January 01, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

El Dorado Beach Resort, Dauin, Negros (2 towns south of Dumaguete) - A good place for divers, not a great place for beach goers.  No cottages on the beach, just the restaurant and the dive shop.  Brown sand beach, deep, always with a surf (at least in December).  Standard room $24, AC, cable, native style.  Food ok, pool, Swiss owned, with Sea Explorers dive shop and boat.

Coral Cay Beach Resort, near San Juan, Siquijor Island - Beautiful beach, white sand, large cottages, $26, native style, some on the beach, no TV or AC.  No dive shop, beach is shallow for a long way out, no surf.  Food pretty good, sw pool, American owned.  Dive arrangement is with Splash/Sea Explorers at Coco Grove resort (short ride away, free, can't pick you up by boat; too shallow).

Coco Grove Beach Resort, Tubod, Siquijor Island - similar to Coral Cay, maybe not as pretty.  Fresh water pool.  Sea Explorers dive shop next door.

Sibulan Dive Resort, Sibulan, Negros (1 town north of Dumaguete) - Small place, like a bed and breakfast for divers; the German owner does all the cooking.  Great food, expensive, tree house is $55 with AC and cable.  Great diving at Sumilan Island, Cebu - best visibility of the trip and near-pristine corals but no big fish.

Bethel Guest House, Dumaguete City - Nice place, on the bay, big rooms, AC and cable, P1600 for the family rooms facing the water.  No smoking or alcohol!  Food bad; go to 'Why Not' restaurant 2 blocks up.

St. Maria Hotel, Dumaguete City - Not bad, across from the market at the park, 2 blocks off the bay.  Very reasonable, P800 to P1200 for rooms with AC and cable.

Aloha Hotel, Roxas Blvd., Malate Manila - Kind of crappy but in that nice Philippine sort of way :-))  We like the view of Manila Bay from the veranda and the breakfast buffet is not bad (great fresh pandesal!).

Thanks to Hum for Coral Cay and Bethel recommendations!

Jim

Humabdos
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Resort and Hotel Report, posted by Jimbo on Jan 1, 2003

How would you rate the Coral Cay Resort 1-10 ?
Also how was the food there? Would you recommend it or stay there again? Did you use Splash Dive shop. Lastly what did you think of the diving at Apo Island?

Hum

Jimbo
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Resort and Hotel Report, posted by Humabdos on Jan 2, 2003

I'd stay there again, yes.  It's very nice, everything is big and spacious.  No TV is sort of a bonus.  For a beautiful spot the only place I've seen like it is the Alona Kew.  But Alona has a deeper beach and a house reef.  They can bring the big boat in, like at Moalboal.

Overall an 8, food 7 (shepherds pie, spaghetti, hungarian sausage excellent).

Splash dive shop is now run by Sea Explorers, a Swiss business with about 7 locations - a good outfit in my experience (same guys I dove with at El Dorado).

Apo was great - good shallows, good walls.  The North side was a sanctuary dive and a very fast drift dive.  The lee side was beautiful, with big Napoleon fish and turtles.  But December means big seas on the windward side and lower visibility all around; 15 meters or less.

Where are you going next Hum?  Maybe Sallie would like to snorkle or dive?

Jim

Humabdos
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Coral Cay, posted by Jimbo on Jan 3, 2003

I'm glad you liked it Jim. It's been over three years sense I've been to the Coral Cay. I met Dave when he was building it in 96 and have stayed there many times. The shallow beach is the only problema.  Alona Kew? Is that on Bohol at Panglao Island? Balicasag is one of my favorite dive spots.
Sounds like you had some really good dives! I've only seen two turtle's in 60 dives.

Hum

Jimbo
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Coral Cay, posted by Humabdos on Jan 3, 2003

Alona Kew is on Alona Beach in Panglao with Seaquest Divers next door.  They go to Balicasag, Pamilican, Doljo, and other spots.  Balicasag was beautiful but I think Pamilacan Island is just as nice (that's where the big Napoleons were).  So far that's probably the best diving I've done.

Dauin had the monster turtles at Masaplod sanctuary; they were 5 foot plus.  Dauin also had the 4+ foot barracudas.  Apo had a couple of big turtles but they were on the move - at Dauin they weren't shy, they stayed right there.  Camiguin had smaller turtles but there was a big one at the sanctuary off Mantigue Island.

After seeing so many turtles and big cuttlefish I really wanted to see the octopus so I did 5 night dives.  It paid off because on the last 2 I saw one each time.  Altogether I did 27 dives this trip - a record for me!  Next trip - maybe getting wreck certified at Coron!!  But, like Dave said, those guys are crazy; rule of thirds, redundant everything, 3 flashlights...

Jim --gone from Dumaguete and only a few days left :-(

Humabdos
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Alona Beach, posted by Jimbo on Jan 4, 2003

The philippines being Dangerous have you even once felt you where in danger or heard of any problems? Some americans want us to think is soooooo dangerous there blab blab blab... While you have been gone there have been more than three people killed in bed by falling trees here in the NW. I haven't heard of any kidnapping of Kano's have you?

Enjoy your last few days in Paradice! It's 45 and raining here! :-) Hum & Sallie May

Jimbo
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to With all the talk of, posted by Humabdos on Jan 4, 2003

except one kidnapping of an American resort businessman and Filipino partner in Mindoro; NPA the papers said.  I've felt safe the whole time except when going to the 'Why Not' in Dumaguete - there are so many expats there that I kept thinking it would be a great place to roll a grenade into.

The holidays were a bit strange because I've never seen so many fireworks going off in the streets and sidewalks before; injuries included 54 partial or full blindings.  But they've really cracked down on celebratory gun firings - there were only one or two reported stray bullet killings in Manila.

All in all, it's been a great vacation, relaxing and fun without trouble or worry.  But I am observant of my surroundings, think about what I'm doing, and keep aware of who is walking behind me.

Ok, one more post about diving and our friend Dave is going to jump in here and say "You guys are having too much fun" -LOL!

Jim

Humabdos
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2003, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Alona Beach, posted by Jimbo on Jan 4, 2003

The philippines being Dangerous have you even once felt you where in danger or heard of any problems? Some americans want us to think is soooooo dangerous there blab blab blab... While you have been gone there have been more than three people killed in bed by falling trees here in the NW. I haven't heard of any kidnapping of Kano's have you?

Enjoy your last few days in Paradice! It's 45 and raining here! :-) Hum & Sallie May

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: