Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
September 29, 2024, 07:27:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: first post  (Read 15786 times)
Haroshij
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: first post, posted by Felinessa on Jun 12, 2005

Well, in fact I've said the same all the time in this thread. Using one's head in match-making can give just as good a result as using your heart. And I don't consider it prostitution to choose according to that.

Haroshij

OldRed
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: first post, posted by Felinessa on Jun 11, 2005

Felinessa, you probably have more insight into the MOB scene, as you have direct contact with a family member that is on the opposite side of the fence. Your perspective is unique in that you seem to identify all the mistakes we American men make in our approach to women of the FSU.

Some men do have a rather conceited approach to FSU women. Yes, we do approach it like we are adopting a child. In many ways we are. We are responsible for just about every aspect of their lives once they are here in America. We have to see to their adjustment and development, as well as their physical and emotional needs.
I know we are discussing grown women, but none the less there is little difference raising a child to become a well adjusted adult. The process just takes less time, or at least we hope so.

If the American male is patient and understanding he will benefit in the end. He will have grown with the process and have a better understanding of this person. Hopefully along the way the bond between them will become stronger.

We also live in a throw away society. You can observe that everywhere you look. That’s why the divorce rate is so high in the Western Hemisphere. But, we are discussing a human commodity and can not take this lightly. Efforts have to be made in order for this to be a successful union.
If the wrong attitude is adopted in the beginning we are doomed to continual failure. Something few of us intelligent and sensitive men want to encounter.
I was guilty of this attitude and have gone to great measures to overcome this attitude. We have to respect that there are human feelings involved here.

We are also a society dependent on instant gratification. If you have been here any period of time, I’m sure you are aware of this also. Patience is something that is not openly taught. An example of this is our thoroughfares; everyone has a “me first” mentality.

You have accomplished much since you came here and are to be commended, but don’t be so naïve as to group us all into one category. What is occurring between your cousin and her suitor sounds innocent enough. He’s taking what may be deemed a fatherly approach and trying to provide her with items she may be unable to provide for herself. I doubt that he is consciously trying to buy or impress her. If he is he’s a fool.
Maybe she is encouraging him in the wrong way or just as naïve as he is.

But don’t judge him harshly. He may be responding the only way Western men know how. We are led to believe that it’s not inappropriate to shower your loved one with gifts. If this were not the case, more engagement rings would be required to be returned if the engagement were ended.

You are still a very young Eastern European Woman and have much to learn about Western Men and need to be less critical. Try to understand why we do the things we do and why we react the way we do. We have a lot to offer any woman of the FSU and do so with an open heart. All we ask in return is love and respect. Not so different from FSU men, I would think.

There are those few Western Men that lack the maturity to understand that a relationship takes work and lots of it. They will probably be the victims of their own selfish stupidity and no amount of criticism will help them to see their mistakes unless they choose to accept them as THEIR mistakes.

Thank you, for providing a very stimulating topic. It is helping me to better understand myself and how Eastern European women observe us. Your observations have been invaluable to me and I look forward to more.
OldRed

Felinessa
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: first post, posted by OldRed on Jun 11, 2005

You know, Red, I think that the need to protect and the desire to bestow one's generosity on someone less fortunate is not as much a Western male trait as a human one.  I think that what's really blocking my understanding sometimes is the fact that I've been pretty much on my own since I was 16.  Sure, my parents are there for me and helped me as much as they could, but when you live over 6,000 miles away, you have to learn to survive on your own.  I'm also a Type-A personality and identify the need for protection with weakness, which is normal considering the fact that I'm trying to make it in a professional circle which is still a boys' club (though things are changing).  So I know that I would be insulted if someone (who isn't my dad) tried to take care of me.  But I realize that I grew up with a very strong, educated, brilliant mother, and that I wasn't raised with "traditional" values.  In the end, women who are softer and have less of a take-charge attitude will probably welcome some pampering.  Okay, you convinced me, I'm probably too self-centred like most young people.

I guess, in my heart of hearts, I'm a little angry with people who mostly play up physical charms while the rest of us learn to love tuna :p

There, I think I've learned something too Smiley

Streetwise
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to first post, posted by Felinessa on Jun 10, 2005

Welcome a broad (sorry, aborad), it will be interesting to hear your perspective. Most of us, in our more lucid moments, know the score as you have described it. However, if you understand the male psyche, you will also understand that we all have moments when rationality goes out the window, and we usually end up paying for it one way or another.

There is a growing perception of women from the FSU as being unscrupulous, and a look at this board recently would certainly support that perception. One of my golden rules which seldom gets a mention here is this... check out the family. A large number of FSU women come from broken or unstable homes, which tips the odds towards the possibility of behaviour problems and personality defects. On the other hand, women who come from strong and stable family backgrounds, with both parents at home, and with brothers and sisters, tend to be well adjusted and balanced, and the healthy human interaction they have grown up with builds a character and outlook that does not lend itself to the kind of desperate, emotionally detached ruthlessness we often complain about. I have applied this principle and found it to be very sound. Try it guys, there are no guarantees but it generally holds true in the FSU just as it does in western society. Any comments?  

Streetwise
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Welcome, posted by Streetwise on Jun 10, 2005

Sorry, rationality is away just now
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: