Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 05:40:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do driving lessons cost in Ukraine?  (Read 8812 times)
Frank O
« on: January 21, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Does anyone know what it costs to take a drivers ed course in Ukraine?
romachko
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to What do driving lessons cost in Ukraine?, posted by Frank O on Jan 21, 2005

My fiancee's experience:
(1) The total cost = $150 in 2002. It is probably about $200 now.
(2) 3 months spent to study about 1000 questions on written test.
(3) One week spent for actual driving.
(4) The students were required to pay to buy newspapers, magazines and other publications about "machino" and driving but have never seen any.
(5) During driving lessons the instructor made every excuse to touch her thigh.
(6) The instructor invited female students to dinner to "celebrate" their success when they got their licenses. Koniechna, he has something else in his mind.

A Ukrainian driver can obtain an international license, which may or may not be recognized in the U.S. depending on the state. The license is valid for one year. However, the driver is required to get a U.S. license as soon as she establishes her residence in the U.S.

I am going to send her to a local driving school. The cost of relearning the driving is quickly recovered by discount on insurance.

Frank O
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: What do driving lessons cost in Ukra..., posted by romachko on Jan 25, 2005

I think my wife said HER teacher was an older lady?!
romachko
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to So is that a yeah or nay?, posted by Frank O on Jan 25, 2005

It depends on the purpose. If the purpose is to drive in Ukraine for a while before coming to the U.S., it might be necessary for her to get a Uk license. But the purpose is primarily an intro to machino in general, it may be a waste of time and money. Months of study of Uk traffic law, while some of them may be applicable, is a waste of time and money. All publications to prepare the student for license in Uk are for sale, not free. My fiancee was very surprised that we could get a full-colored manual free of charge here and there are so few questions to study. In addition, she was amazed at my car with no clutch! In her one week of driving lesson, after 3 months of paper-driving, a great deal of time was spent to learn how to shift gears. They taught her that an automatic transmission is for sissy but failed to mention that most Indy cars are equipped with AT.

My general conclusion: It is better to learn how to drive in the U.S.

ARTILLARY
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to What do driving lessons cost in Ukraine?, posted by Frank O on Jan 21, 2005

It will depend mostly in what city she takes lessons. I've heard fro $60 to $150. Actually it's a good idea if she takes them there especially if she's never driven before. It'll give her all the basics she needs and and will be much cheaper than lessons here to begin with. Keep in mind, when she gets her first license here, she'll have to take the written and driving test. When she arrives, take her to places that aren't to busy or way out on those Texas country roads to get some practice. Slowly let her build her confidence as you graduate to busier roads and streets and interstates. Practice that parallell parking. Set uo something like plastic garbage cans as if they were parked cars. Good luck.
Frank O
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: What do driving lessons cost in Ukra..., posted by ARTILLARY on Jan 21, 2005

The reason I asked is because to me it seems like she would probably have to do the classes here again. However my wife wants to take them there. I don't mean to sound like an ogre but I just didn't think it wise. By the way she says it was around $250 for the classes.
LP
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Do you think it's really better to take ..., posted by Frank O on Jan 22, 2005

[This message has been edited by LP]

Frank, use your common sense.

What good will it do her to take them there if she's gonna drive here? Other than wheel and pedals on the car nothing is the same. Of course she'll half to retake them here, there is much more to driving lessons than learning how to operate the machinery you know. Even if she didn't have to retake them you want her to be safe right?. Do *you* want to teach her? Trust me, you don't. Face it, she'll have to take lessons here again and it'll be coming out of your pocket. $250 and all you get are the same basics you could teach her in a parking lot or country road before turning her over to a real instructor. And that price seems high anyway. To quote Ronnie: trust, but verify.

Whose in charge of this deal anyway? Is your wife always so demanding? Are ye man or mouse? What's in *your* wallet? (The money you'll have to pay twice for one thing). You don't need to be a hard-ass but you do need to be in control because after she gets here they'll be a lot of things you'll have to put your foot down on besides a gas pedal.

Frank O
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: What do driving lessons cost in Ukra..., posted by ARTILLARY on Jan 21, 2005

NT
wsbill
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

Said it would have been cheaper to have her take lessons here, cause the driving styles are a night and day difference.  Kinda like how over there you pull up at the stop light and there are 4-5 cars on the starting line on the 2 lane avenue..(smaller cars and crazy drivers).
Rags
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: I think RAGS had his wife take lesso..., posted by wsbill on Jan 21, 2005

Yeah that was pretty much a waste of money as far as the driving styles differ dramatically here but...it did show some initiative on my part to make her a little more comfortable with her impending change of venue. It also helped past the time quicker while waiting for the K-1 to be processed.

It also save me some bucks on our insurance as far as years of driving expirience.

Frank O
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: I think RAGS had his wife take l..., posted by Rags on Jan 25, 2005

that's one of the things my wife said. She's tired of waiting around. Having said that our appt/intv is just weeks away at this point. So i'm kind of like what's the point?! What do you suggest Rags having been there & done that?
Rags
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to The time thing...., posted by Frank O on Jan 25, 2005

I'd pass on it since hopefully she will be over here soon and can get some proper instruction on driving like a Texan.

Be sure to remind her to cherish these last few days and all her friends. It gets real lonely as soon as she boards the plane to her new life on the other side of the globe.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: