Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 05, 2024, 10:32:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Times they are a changin' peoples.  (Read 3669 times)
T P Cornholio
« on: May 06, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

From the Brama Board: "If a Ukrainian citizen tells you that your destination is a short distance away, expect to walk a few kilometers."

Oh yes, I remember that well.  My wife would say "It's close, just around the corner" which I learned meant something like 2 blocks to the corner and then 10 blocks up.  With me, like a kid, walking along saying "Are we there yet? Are we there?"

So, the other day I'm at my wife's office and told her to go across the street and shop while I was messing with her PC.  Now, many times while visiting my wife's office on a weekend, I've walked across the street to get a sandwich or go to the bank ATM for some cash, etc.  My wife has been driving for over a year, but would not hesitate to comment upon how no one ever seems to walk (the "soft Americans" innuendo).

But, upon her return, I find out she actually drove the car!  Just to cross the street! I asked her why, wasn't she being hypocritical?  "Oh, I don't know..." she says, "I didn't think about walking, it just seemed easier to drive."

Times they are a changin' peoples.

Mike
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Times they are a changin' peoples. , posted by T P Cornholio on May 6, 2003

That is so funny! My wife is the same way. First she starts off noticing how everyone is fat, and pokes holes at them for driving when they need to walk. It wasn't long before she too was driving next door to the store. Oh and she did gain a few extra pounds to put it lightly, but has recently started exercizing and she is looking mighty good too! It's hypocritical without a doubt but I think we all are when it comes to certain things.
Mike
vagn
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Times they are a changin' peoples. , posted by Mike on May 6, 2003

It is an easy mistake to make to attribute ones
excellent personal qualities to some sort of
moral superiority.  Or, conversly, to look at
someone not as fortunate as oneself, and lay
the misfortune at the feet of some supposed
character defect (or genetics, or whatever.)
But often it is just bad luck.  Live long enough
and probably the same bad luck will take a
swipe at you!  It is the lack of sufficent time
to have been blindsided by fate that makes this
error so common in the newly minted.

Americans probably have the worst food environment
on the planet.  Yes, you can get good food here.
But there is every inducment to chow down on junk.
Try and count the number of times during the day
that the radio, TV, or some sign or print ad
suggests that you eat or drink or keep a stock of:

soda, ice cream, candy, chocolate
beer, wine, or other booze
something with "lite" or "diet" on the label
breakfast cerials, granola bars, etc
power bars, sports drinks
things that can be chugged
things that can be slammed
chips, dips, sauces, toppings
pizza, burgers, or any take out
and the list goes on

pretty much everything you need to eat is
in the vegetable section of the grocery store.
What the heck is all that other stuff?

And then there is the structure of our towns.
Lots of places you have to drive to someplace
where you can take a walk!

So what's this rant all about?  Americans are fat
because our environment encourages it.  Our food
environment, physical environment, and information
environment all work to keep us stuffing our faces
with junk food all the time.

When people come here and put on the "American 10kg"
it is not because they have suddenly lost their
moral compass -- they've been poisoned!  The poison
comes in through the eyes and ears and drives them
to the high-profit easy to manufacture heavily
advertised processed foods.

The physical environment is poisoned too -- given over
to cars and the use of cars, rather then the legs.
Most places, if you walk, you are the only one.
It's lonely and depressing to be the only one walking,
with everyone else whizzing past.  There you are,
stumping along with no chance in hell that you'll meet
anyone you want to know or talk to.

Stevo
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Times they are a changin' peoples. , posted by T P Cornholio on May 6, 2003

walk all around her town when she goes back in a few weeks to visit. She can't imagine how she ever got anything accomplished via foot power and bus power.

She's Amurican, by golly!

Mark A
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Oh yah, my wife can't bear the thought o..., posted by Stevo on May 6, 2003

hey, not so fast Smiley

Us American city folk are used to walking a lot and taking subways rather than driving. However... I'm a pretty serious hiker, and when the first Russian woman I became serious about agreed to meet me in Florence, I was stunned at her ability to walk all day. We must have put in 10 miles a day visiting all the churches and surrounding vineyards. Not a peep out of her, in fact I'm certain it was so routine for her that she didn't even know how much she impressed me!

thesearch
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Oh yah, my wife can't bear the thoug..., posted by Mark A on May 6, 2003

Before, I had heard that Italy was not an easy place for these ladies to get a visa for travel. What was your experience with this?
Mark A
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Hey Mark, posted by thesearch on May 7, 2003

Search:

She used a travel agency and had no problem getting a tourist visa. She has a daughter that she left behind so perhaps that was in her favor. Also, I think she was "officially" a part of a tour group although she only saw them on her flight to Italy and again on her flight back.

They hassled her going through customs, however... the Florentine customs agents repeatedly asked her if she was a prostitute. This contrasts sharply with me, when I went through customs I said that I was an American and they waved me through without even asking to see my passport. (hehe, no jokes about the astronomical odds of me being mistaken for a prostitute)

There was an event during my trip that I keep going back to in my mind. One night, I had picked out a restaurant from my guidebook that had excellent reviews. As we approached the entrance, Irina grabbed my elbow and kept telling me "you can't go in there, too many brown men." There is a large Arab population, mostly Paki I believe, in Florence, and evidently this was a hot spot for them.

I conceded and we went to another restaurant, but I lectured her during our walk about how I didn't discriminate based on any person's nationality, etc. (this was a year before 9/11).

To this day I wonder if she was simply uncomfortable or if she was trying to protect me. I guess I'll never know.

thesearch
so
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Hey Mark, posted by Mark A on May 7, 2003

thanks for the response.

So,  where are you in all of this. Do you still correspond with that lady or what.

Greg

Mark A
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to so, posted by thesearch on May 7, 2003

Hi Greg,

No I don't correspond with her anymore, unfortunately I lost my job on 9/11 and was out of work for almost a year. During this time she received a marriage proposal and accepted. As disappointed as I was, my situation at the time was very uncertain and in a way it was a load off my shoulders not having to worry about her.

I've been working since last August and have jumped back into the fray. I'm currently writing to 3-4 women that I really like. One thing I've noticed since coming back is that the number of scammers has gone through the roof... And from the other side of the table, it seems as if many of the women I contact are a bit cynical about the process, having been "played" by guys who weren't serious.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: