Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
July 05, 2024, 01:51:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Losing Interest?  (Read 9949 times)
SimonSays
« on: May 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

I have been writing to a woman steadily for nearly four months.  While neither of us has ever told each other that this friendship is exclusive, since we've been e-mailing each other about 3 times a day, we are certainly more than just friends.  When I told her of my plans to visit Ukraine later this year, she immediately volunteered to travel to Kiev to meet me and locate accommodations, etc. While I have other people I have been writing to, right now I consider her my main reason to visit Ukraine.  Well today she e-mailed me with an idea which she says one of her friends suggested to her since the friend is doing it herself. The plan is that since banks in Ukraine pay a 13% yearly interest rate she would like it if I could send her money to keep in the bank so she would be able to collect the interest on the money each month. She points out that if she had $5000 in the bank she would be able to receive $55 a month interest. She assures me the principal money itself would be mine and never touched. She says her friend's boyfriend has sent her $2000 to put in the bank. My friend concludes by saying that whatever I decide will not effect our friendship --this is just a suggestion only.  I am certainly not going along with this idea and it has already given me second thoughts about her.  After all, it's not as if she is my fiancee--in fact we've never met. And even if she really has a friend who received $2000 like this, her monthly interest rate would be so low that the man who sent it to her would be better off sending her $20 a month instead.  I suppose I'll just have to see if I notice any changes in my friend's behavior once I decline her plan and in the meantime start writing  more to my other Eastern European friends.  I'd appreciate your comments on this situation.
thesearch
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Losing Interest?, posted by SimonSays on May 14, 2003

asdf
tim360z
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

Either your "friend" is very clever or not too bright.  First,  "banks" there are not quite the same as banks here.  Some are just a criminal enterprise and many have lost their money with "banks".  Really,  your friend should know this.  And I doubt any legitimate bank is paying 13% interest.  They will go out of biz real soon.  On that, you can check.  Not too difficult.

Unfortunately,  you gotta realize that you are being set-up to loose 5K.  And you have never even met "her"? Just the idea that you and "she???" exchange 3 emails a day should draw questions.  Most girls don't have that type of email access.  I have a couple friends with their own computers at work and we exchange emails every few days,  at the most.  They just don't have the time and their useage is recorded.  I am sure if I mentioned this "bank" to them,  they would get a good laugh.

T P Cornholio
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Losing Interest?  Loose interest!, posted by tim360z on May 15, 2003

No, they may very well give 13% interest, because loans carry double that in interest.  A co-worker from Romania says savings interest there is 17-20%, but loans such as mortgage or car interest can range 25-50%.
robobond
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Losing Interest?  Loose interest!, posted by tim360z on May 15, 2003

Re: "Either your "friend" is very clever or not too bright."

There is a third choice which no one has mentioned.  What may appear as "not too bright" may in reality be very unsophisticated and/or uneducated in the fine art of Capitalism and economics in general.  Sometimes I am convinced that this applies to maybe 1/2 of America.....

robo

tim360z
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Losing Interest?  Loose interest..., posted by robobond on May 15, 2003

Since the advent of their brand of capitalism,  the people I know there tell me there are many unscrupulous scams perpetrated on the locals.  Investments and banks are just a few.  Some do loose their money.  Something which we (being a bit more savy)and experienced with the bad side of capitalism would be somewhat aware of.  One friend and her sister just bought a very small apartment in St Pete,  she says she had to be very very careful with the transaction.  Lotta real estate scams have been run.  You have to know just who you are buying from and....its an all cash deal. Look behind you.  It should not be any wonder that other "investments" are perpetrated on westerners.
wsbill
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

There were a bunch of dudes at computers all day long.  Have you talked to this girl on the telephone ?

If she can type english, she can just as well speak it.

BubbaGump
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

If you don't want to attack her honesty (which is in question), you can always just say that you can get the same return in the USA with lower risk.  Bond funds in the USA can pay 10%, property REITs 8% and mortgage REITs from 10% to 20%.  REIT = Real Estate Investment Trust

Higher interest rates in foreign countries normally reflect currency instability like rapid devaluation.  I did notice that the Ukranian currency has remained relatively stable against the dollar although the dollar has been falling in value.  Banks in Russia and Ukraine are not the most trustworthy places to keep your money as mentioned below.

Gman
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

The situation sounds fishy, but banks in Ukraine often pay 10% interest on dollars in what i believe are essentially CD's because they list the rates as being for 6 month or 12 month deposits...
They do not have deposit insurance so many banks "sell" their stability to customers by saying how long they've been in business.
All of the banks pay even higher rates almost double the $ rates for deposits in hryna. I've seen 24% listed for 13 month deposits.

FWIW

SimonSays
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Losing Interest?, posted by Gman on May 15, 2003

I've enjoyed reading all your comments.  One correction to make--my Ukrainian friend claims her girlfriend is collecting interest on $20,000, not $2,000, of her American boyfriend's money from a bank in the Ukraine.  As if that's not crazy enough--supposedly the couple have never met!!
thesearch
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Losing Interest?, posted by SimonSays on May 15, 2003

I doubt that the story is true but, if her girlfriend's boyfriend gave $20,000 surely you could come up with just a measly $5,000 ------?Huh?? Sounds like a come on to get you to accept the five G's to me. I mean if he came up with 20 surely you can come up with at least 5!

I would consider her a scammer until proven otherwise. I think that you should tell her that since you have never met, her suggesting that you put up $5,000 in an unstable banking system is not an appropriate  --- period.

I am not saying drop her, but we have been told time and time again by veterans that the good ladies never ask for money. However, we have also heard from ladies from the FSU who are 35 and older that the younger women in the FSU more and more are not like women used to be in the FSU. This meaning that they are more into drugs, money, using people etc. --- and simply not holding to the same values that women ascribed to previously --  the values that are supposed to be one of the major reasons that men want a woman from the FSU.

So how old is Ms. Iwannabankaccount anyway?

Yeahbaby
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

WmGo
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

You should just send
her the money as a gift.
It will prove to her
that you are a real man
and that your intentions
are true. This will then
set the standard for
such relationships - a
blazing trail for all to
follow. After all, these
are just economic relationships?

LP
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Losing Interest?, posted by WmGo on May 14, 2003

...how true. I also liked the part below about being flush with cash. 5 Gs is flush? It's Chump change these days, I say just give it to her and wear the title with pride. ;-)
Pordzhik
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to lol...., posted by LP on May 14, 2003

A wonder then that so many guys from the US can't afford to get themselves over there a bit more often, if at all.

We're always reading about those that do the K1 after just the one trip, what's the hurry? What with airfares so cheap these days.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: