Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 11:20:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Money  (Read 8846 times)
John F
« on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Everyone must do things their own way.  I don't want to tell my whole story, but I do want to give you guys some information and you can choose to use it however you wish or ignore it completely.

To this day, my wife does not share my checking account.  We sailed through fiance visa, through adjustment of status, and most recently we sailed through removal of conditions without a question.  So, what I'm saying is you don't have to jeopordize your financial health just to satisfy INS.  They are only interested in knowing that you are indeed living as husband and wife.  I supplied them with so much other proof they couldn't question it.

Now, understand my philosophy and what I was prepared to tell INS if they asked.  Ladies from FSU never had checking accounts or credit cards.  They lived day to day and didn't worry about financial planning or building for retirement.  In time, I will add her to the bank accounts, but not until she becomes a tightwad just like me.

Guys, you gotta protect your finances and not let your heart, nor your loins, set the direction.

Charles
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Money, posted by John F on Dec 16, 2002

This result may very well depend on the local INS practices.  I would note that in Baltimore where we got our green card they will send you back if you don't have a joint checking account.  This has happenned to several people there.  In our case,they didn't ask for a lot at our interview but that was one of the few items on the officer's "list".  What I did was have a "household" joint account with limited funds and keep most of my money in another account.  That enabled us to show a joint account to INS while at the same time preserving my control over funds.
Jack
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: May Depend on Local Practice-Be Care..., posted by Charles on Dec 16, 2002

Same here Charles. I kept my main account as was and opened a new joint account when in reality the joint account is really hers.
Jeff S
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: May Depend on Local Practice-Be Care..., posted by Charles on Dec 16, 2002

.. the better. Having a joint account that you regularly deposit limited funds, that is used to take care of household bills, groceries, etc, and that both you and your wife have control over is an excellent way to introduce her to the budgetary problems of modern American life. Just supervise her til she gets the hang of it. She'll feel like shes a participant in the marriage "team.". My wife had never written a check when she came here and after lots of trouble and disagreements when she was left out of the loop, as John suggested, I got her involved, in a limited way, as Charles suggested, and she felt much more like a part of the partnership. Now she's a better money manager than I, and takes care of everything except the major investing.

- Jeff S

juio99
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I was going to suggest having a joint account, but just not tell your wife that she was actually eligible to write checks on it.  But after reading your post, you point the way to a superior approach.

JR

John LV
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Money, posted by John F on Dec 16, 2002

Boy that is good advice, that is extremely good advice. When you live in Russia and you get a FREE apartment, FREE health care, and a FREE college education, and you don't know anything about paying car payments, or the insurance for said car payments, or the gas for the car, or even paying bills through the mail, it simply is a completely different way of life. They don't learn responsibility that you need to survive here, they know nothing of credit, checkbooks, credit cards, etc.

And if they look at you like you must be a rich American, budgets mean nothing since you must have lots of money. Everytime I would tell Natasha we were low on money, she did not want to see the bank account statement, she did not want to know about the budget, she could care less, and I don't believe she ever believed we were low on money, I think she thought I was lying the whole time about it.

Live and learn, always living and learning. Good post John F.

David

Mike
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Money, posted by John LV on Dec 16, 2002

The system always gave free rides and supported them with housing if they didn't live near the school but they had to have good grades and do well on entrance exams. Today they still do this but the differance is that you can now buy your way in if you're not the best student (depending on the school). They still must feed themself and the rest. As for health care it's free if you hold a residence passport for the city you're in if not they have to pay (but it's cheap compaired to our health cost).

Mike

yoe
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I am only black from the waist down-otherwise I am a pure white boy. I guess your IQ must have no direct correlation with what you 'know'. It is tough being a genius who know nothing huh?
Joe
John LV
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to by the way..., posted by yoe on Dec 16, 2002

Black from the waist down?

Hmmm, ok, thats a good trick, you belong to the circus then?

LP
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: by the way..., posted by John LV on Dec 16, 2002

....lol...zoom! Went right over his head Yoey.

Davey, you're cleared to climb and maintain FL 990, another thousand and you just might be on top!

Dan
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

What makes you think that most people living in Russia get "a FREE apartment, FREE health care, and a FREE college education."?!?

Check your facts ace - otherwise, you'll just continue to bare your ass in public.

- Dan

John LV
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Is It Ignorance - or are you Just STUPID..., posted by Dan on Dec 16, 2002

Are you suggesting they don't?

How much you want to make a bet you stupid moron idiot without a brain in his entire body dummy?

You pretend to know what you're talking about, but you know nothing, you're an idiot beyond belief, you always were, and you always will be.

What would you like to debate this time moron, pick your best subject so I can make you look like the dummy that you are.

David

Philb
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Is It Ignorance - or are you Just ST..., posted by John LV on Dec 16, 2002

Frank O
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to And where has all this "superior in..., posted by Philb on Dec 16, 2002

I was thinking the same thing! LOL!!! "Moscow here I come!" Yeah right!!! I bet those Moscow sharks are just licking their lips waiting for him!
vagn
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Is It Ignorance - or are you Just ST..., posted by John LV on Dec 16, 2002

And we won't have to wade through any more of your
troll sessions.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: