Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 11:37:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Survey: 60% of Russian Children Unhealthy  (Read 4601 times)
wilmc
« on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

The BBC News just reported on a survey the Russian Ministry of Health conducted finding that 60% of the children in Russia were unhealthy.  The report further states that, "...the health problems experienced by Russian women are one of the central reasons for the huge numbers of unhealthy children."

The news article can be found at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2580775.stm

This news I fear adds a serious level of concern to the question of adequate health insurance for potential brides and dspendent children from the FSU.

Please, before the diatribe begins, I am only the messenger.

f12phantom
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Survey: 60% of Russian Children Unhealth..., posted by wilmc on Dec 16, 2002

This now makes sense! I wondered why my fiancee (now wife) from Kiev and her 18-yr old daughter were so anxious to come to America. Although I don't regret it - as I love her very much as she does claim to be in love with me - it has been a constant "unfolding" of ailments slowly bubbling to the surface. Fortunately, I have good health insurance from my company which has already been tested with an overnight stay of my wife who entered via the E-R. She and her daughter are scheduled for their first visit to an assigned female (as they would not accept a male) physician in January. They're from a culture of eastern medicine (the name of which escapes me) - also, they are VERY SUSPICIOUS of our medical principles etc. - a word of caution to those seeking wives in FSU - ask questions!!! I didn't and now regret I hadn't been more agressive in Kiev when small hints were given - it would not have necessarily changed anything - BUT I would have been better prepared for the onslaught! For instance, besides the overnight stay in the hospital, there has been extensive eye care that was not so well covered by insurance as well as dentistry both in the making and to come. Not to mention the semi-daily problems with an unhealthy liver or bad kidney or skin ailments etc etc etc - the language barrier was an issue when I was in Kiev on five different trips which also contributed to my not understanding all of these prevailing issues - as the Boy Scout motto goes: BE PREPARED!!! [In every respect - a foreign bride is NOT a cheap situation]
Oscar
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Survey: 60% of Russian Children Unhe..., posted by f12phantom on Dec 17, 2002

And none of this was picked up in their required physical exams before coming here?
KenC
No
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Survey: 60% of Russian Children ..., posted by Oscar on Dec 17, 2002

Oscar,
The health exam is very superficial.  Nothing that is not obvious will be uncovered.  Do yourself a big favor and have your fiancee get a thorough medical and dental exam here as soon as possible.  It is better to know what you will be up against in the future.
KenC
Oscar
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to No, posted by KenC on Dec 17, 2002

Very sound advice.  I have heard the medical there is pretty basic, but you would think they could pick up SOME things!  I do plan on medical and dental exams right away and have been making the necessary adjustments to my insurances etc..
mdb
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Survey: 60% of Russian Children Unhealth..., posted by wilmc on Dec 16, 2002

12/15 Sunday PARADE magazine...quoting from the same Russian Health Ministry reports "only 33% nations newborns and 10% of the teenagers are healthy.  Tuberculosis is raging and the country has about 4 million heroin addicts. Alcoholism, drug abuse and use of abortion as the primary method of birth control have left more than 20% of Russian couples infertile."  Russia "also has one of the world's fastest-growing HIV epedemics.  Within six years, 5% of the population may be infected."  The US strategic forecasting firms Stratfor says 'that without a cure for HIV, Russia's population could fall to 77 million by 2050.  (Presently, Russia has less than half the USA popluation.) This would mark the sharpest peacetime populatione decline anywhere since the plague ravaged Europe in the 1300's and it would diminsh Russia as a key player on the global scene.'

You are not the only one who saw some incredible numbers.

wilmc
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Survey: 60% of Russian Children Unhe..., posted by mdb on Dec 16, 2002

Truly tragic.  No wonder RWs want to find a better future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: