Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 10:16:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question for computer geeks  (Read 2787 times)
Cold Warrior
« on: December 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I am having a problem with IE SP1 in that most images do not load instead there is a red cross. Microsoft support has about 6 recommendations none of which works. These range from disabling graphic accleration to registry changes in the root files in value data for .gif and .jpg. I have found that most pages load correctly if I use UNICODE (utf-8). However IE even with autoselect off is switching to Western European (iso) or Western European(windows) upon every web page I visit.

Maybe a bug in IE SP1. I hope is it corrected in future releases of IE as I need to view thumbnails of RW.

Cold Warrior
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to question for computer geeks, posted by Cold Warrior on Dec 19, 2002

I have uninstalled IE6 SP1. Gone back to IE6,I have unchecked image placeholders and associated .gif and .jpg file types with  IE. All images are now loading correctly. I have always been an upgrade freak, guess I'll have to stick to - if it ain't broke,don't fix it. Maybe there are some security fixes in SP1 but I can handle that by disabling Activex,JS etc.
BarryM
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to question for computer geeks, posted by Cold Warrior on Dec 19, 2002

Right click on the "cross" image and select view image. If it appears, then you solved the problem, otherwise, you may need to reload MSpaint, MS Photo Editor, or MS Image Composer. IE uses graphics libraries (dll's) from these programs to view images.

True unicode is only supported by xml pages. Html does not support full unicode. IE does recognize xml and will display unicode. I would use "Windows Cyrillic" or "KOI8-R) for viewing Russian language pages.

I'm still using IE 5.5 and I have very little problems with it.

-blm

JohnG
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

With IE open, go to Tools/Internet Options, and click on the "Advanced" tab. Scroll down to the section called "Multimedia" and un-check the box next to "Show Image Download Placeholders". That should cure your problem.

John

RfB
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I have IE6, Netscape7, and Opera 6.05 loaded on my computer. Sometimes IE6 won't save anything in any format but BMP, why? I don't know, or really, I don't care to spend the time to find out, Opera saves it in the format I want, so I use that instead. Some sites , Opera won't load,(security issues), again ,, so,, IE does fine. Netscape always starts and logs into IM everytime I start it (and stays hidden), even though I say NOT to in the options, I find this out when someone sends me an Instant Message. I use Netscape the least because of that.

The point is, I have options,, and don't stick with one internet browser, what works well with one, doesn't work with another, and the time to fix it, isn't worth the time.

BubbaGump
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I'm running that same version which I installed last month.  The main problems I have are the computer just locking up which it was doing earlier anyway.  Try looking in your IE cache folder and see if the thumbnail files are there.  They will have a jpg file extension.  Clear out the folder of old files and see if you can get new files to load.  That would at least tell you the picture files downloaded.  What could be happening is that pictures loaded but the program is looking for them in another location (like the old program folder).  In a case like that, I think you should download the IE to a setup file, do an uninstall on the old one and reinstall from the setup file.  If that doesn't screw you up, you're in business, otherwise you're screwed.
Griffin
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: