Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
September 30, 2024, 06:29:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lowering Your "Standards" (Very Long)  (Read 2213 times)
MarkInTx
« on: September 25, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

I'm probably going to get flamed by the usual cast of characters for this... but I'm going to do it anyway...

Recently, I was talking to someone (off-line) about my fiance, and where I am in the process. This person WAS a frequent contributor here, but hasn't been here for a long while.

When I was telling him about Victoria, he seemed surprised. "She's nothing like what I thought you would end up with..." he told me -- shocking me.

But then he told me why he thought that, and I understood. In fact, it brought me up short and made me think... And I thought it might prove helpful to some of you still searching... So, here goes...

When I started this search two years ago, I had a definite "profile" of the kind of woman I was looking for. Not so much her looks (I wasn't  specifically LOOKING for a brunette with green eyes who was over 5'8") but the rest of the woman's attributes I was very specific about.

There were reasons for all of it... And I thought they were very sound reasons... but when I look back now, I see that the reasons weren't as good as I thought.

First, I wanted someone about 25-28 years old. REASON: I had just broken up with a 28 year old here. My thinking: "Why go 7000 miles to get the same thing I can get here?"

REALITY: Stupid, stupid, stupid. The fact is that I broke up with the 28 year old for a reason: She was a wacko. Gorgeous... but a wacko. Age and beauty were not reasons I broke up with her -- they were the reasons I dated her to begin with. So, the fact is that I COULDN'T find the women here... Age was immaterial. It was the character I couldn't find...

Also, I was just coming out of a divorce, and it was at that magical age: 40. I have to admit now that part of what was driving me was a desire to "show my ex wife" that I could get someone younger and prettier than she was. It PAINS me to admit this... but I hope that by being brutally honest, maybe someone else will see themselves in me, and come to their senses sooner. That is a VERY STUPID reason to look for a wife. It may be natural, and human, but all it will lead to is a natural and human MISTAKE. Looking back now, I shouldn't have even been DATING then. But I would NEVER had admitted that at the time.

Yes, deep down, I wanted someone with all of the values that we all talk about... but that was not enough for me. And the reasons WHY were in no way noble or sensible. I see that clearly now. (This thinking ALMOST lead me to make a mistake with a very attractive 23 year old in St. Pb. She was a really good person, and I'm glad that I met her -- and equally glad that I didn't do something stupid...)

Secondly, I was looking for a woman who had no children. REASON: I had just ended a tenure of as a step-dad, and I wasn't anxious to jump back into it again. Mostly because I missed my step-sons... again, I see that now. But I didn't see it then. But, again, that's not a good reason to avoid someone with children.I missed my step-sons for a reason: I like being a Dad. Why would I strive to avoid that???

Also, I thought my daughter was neglected in my marriage, and I was looking to make that up to her. I thought that getting a woman with no children of her own would mean undivided time for my daughter.

I thought that if I DID find a woman with a child, the child would have to be younger than my daughter. I thought that my daughter would be less jealous that way.

REALITY: My daughter WANTS a sibling. And a woman who is already a mother stands a MUCH better chance of being a good mother for my daughter than some young girl who has never experienced mother-hood before.

And, when I finally got around to talking to my daughter about it, I was surprised to find that if she could have any situation in the world that she would WANT an OLDER brother. So much for my instincts, huh? (BTW, this was BEFORE Victoria wrote me. Her son is one year older than my daughter. Perfect, as it turns out...)

Finally, I felt I had to have a woman who spoke fluent English. REASON: I'm verbose. (Bet no one knew that, huh?) I LIKE communicating. I thought: "How could I possibly be in a marriage where I couldn't communicate?"

And don't they always say that one of the most important keys to marriage is communicating with your spouse? How could I do that unless someone had the same ability with the language that I did?

REALITY: The woman needs to speak SOME English. I truly believe that. But fluent? Not needed. In fact, the act of carefully considering my words is good practice for me. Yes, sometimes there can be a mistake in the language which leads to confusion... but Victoria and I have been able to communicate some very important and deep thoughts with nothing but patience, will, and a dictionary nearby.

And, of course, her English has improved dramatically in the past two months. My last trip to Kiev, we didn't need to consult a dictionary one time.

And... here is the main reality: If a PICTURE is worth a thousand words, a proper attitude is worth a million. Communication isn't needed as much when the other person is not waiting to pounce on every little thing you do, and use it as a weapon against you.

Looking back on my marriage, I see that I used my skill with the language most often in defense of an attack for something that I felt was misunderstood. You take that away... and things can be a lot quieter.

Let me give an example of that...

On our last night in Kiev together, Victoria and I had a romantic evening planned. It started at Da Vinci's restaurant, and was to end up back at the apartment. (Never mind what the plans were then... let's just say that there were plans...)

Well... I over-ate a lot at Da VInci's, and over drank a wee bit, and mix that with some jet lag... and when we got home, I was very sleepy.

Victoria -- planning ahead -- had eaten light, and was not in any way lagged. Bright eyed and excited, she was ready when we got home.

But I was not. So, I ask if we can rest for a moment. (The last thing you want to do in the middle of romance is yawn, after all...)

We sit down on the couch, and before long, I'm "on the nods" if you know what I mean.

She sees me struggling to stay awake, and I know what she must be thinking: "Oh oh... here goes our last night together!" But she asks me, completely unthreatening, "Do you need to sleep?"

I tell her no... let me "rest" for 20 minutes and I'll be fine.

She lets me... and for twenty minutes, I don't even pretend to watch TV with her... I doze.

After twenty minutes (or so) I wake, and I am fine.

She is (pleasantly) surprised. The evening continues as planned.

Now... let me stop here, and tell you what would have happened with any AW I have ever known: the evening would NOT have continued as planned. I would have found myself sleeping on the couch all night! She would neither believe me about the twenty minutes, nor forgive me for wanting them. I WOULD PAY for that!

But not Victoria. And BECAUSE of HER attitude, we had a memorable night together. Later I told Victoria that I was very happy that she let me rest, and did not get upset with me.

She said something that blew me away: "We have spent so much time apart, I have decided something... when we are together, I am never going to spend one minute angry with you..."

Wow...

I have no intention on testing that... but in my life I have NEVER had anyone say that to me.

The point of this long diatribe is this:

I could not be happier right now. She is, frankly, better than I deserve. I cannot imagine anyone else EVER being like she is.

And... if she had written me two years ago -- I WOULD NOT HAVE WRITTEN HER BACK!

Or, I would have written her an "I'm sorry but" letter.

My perfect woman... and I wouldn't have given her a chance. Why? Because she was out of my "profile."

Even though my profile was wrong...

That is a scary thought to me. I thank God that His timing was such that she wrote me after I came to my senses, and created a "profile" with only the important things in it.

Did I lower my standards to accept Victoria?

No.

I just found a woman that set a new standard for me.

FWIW..

thesearch
/
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Lowering Your "Standards" (Ver..., posted by MarkInTx on Sep 25, 2002

Great Post Mark
KenC
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Lowering Your "Standards" (Ver..., posted by MarkInTx on Sep 25, 2002

Mark,
Thank you for a very insightful post.  Your thoughts on "profiling" are interesting.  Usually, in life, you have no reason to formulate a profile for women you date.  You just meet someone that you are initially attracted to, and go from there.  As you know our story, that is what happened between Lena and I.  But when the agency insisted that I meet more women than Lena, I too was faced with the profile designs you mention.
The goal of the man is key to what is an acceptable profile and what is not.  The truth of the matter is that if the man was checking profiles of RW that he would like to MEET, he might be overwhelmed by the numbers.  Most guys involved with this process are seeking a wife not just meeting women for dates.  This alone upsets the normal process of meet, date and sometime (much later) marry.  Short cutting this usual timeline is where most difficulties come in play.  I know that time and distance are a restrictive, but almost everyone would be better off if they didn't rush into marriage.  Taking the time to find the right woman is very important, but getting to know the woman you will marry is critical.  (Exceptions like Stan are noted here)
KenC
p.s. (Isn't funny how you find exactly what you want, when you are really not looking for it?  Much like Lena and I)

MarkInTx
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to not "lowering", just making th..., posted by KenC on Sep 26, 2002

You bring up a good point.

If you had asked me two years ago if I had a "profile" for my next girlfriend, I would have said no. But... perhaps I would have been mistaken...

On internet sites, I was doing it. Even when on Matchmaker.com, I would search for a given age group, read through the profile looking for certain characteristics, and then (of course) check out the picture before writing her.

I think that internet dating is very similar to the "MOB" dating -- with the exception being the distance, which changes a lot of things.

But, I think that more and more, people are "profiling" who they date, as they rely on things like matchmaking services and the internet.

If you think about it, even meeting a girl at a sorority party is profiling to a degree: She is of a certain age, and a certain education background, and (probably) a certain kind of family.... we just never thought of it that way before...

Here in America, where women rule, they are doing much more stringent profiling than men. I emailed a woman on Matchmaker.com about a year ago... we emailed back and forth... definite attraction there... then I sent her a picture. She said: "You're a great guy, but I won't date anyone with facial hair. Can you shave it off before our date?"

I was stunned. The answer, of course, was no. I would not. It was too much for a "First Date" to demand.

However, if Victoria mentioned to me casually "your mustache hurts sometimes when we kiss" it would be gone the next day. I have no problem with changing for my wife (or fiance) because I want to make myself as attractive for her as possible (and I would expect her to do the same). But not a casual date.

But this woman just wouldn't date a guy with a mustache. So we never did get together. She could afford to be choosy, I guess.

I had several women on matchmaker.com decide not to go out for odd reasons. It was an amazing lesson...

Profiling is alive and well in America :-)

Stevo
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Profiling, posted by MarkInTx on Sep 26, 2002

my mustache.  I would NEVER shave my mustache off for anyone, even my wife!  Whew!

Stevo

MarkInTx
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Sure glad my wife never asked me to get ..., posted by Stevo on Sep 26, 2002

Seems to me in any successful relationship, things can be worked out...

You know, kinda like:

"OK, honey. I guess I can do that. But... if I give up this, what do you give up? Seems to me that if I shave off  my hair HERE... then you should shave your ______"

(I sound like I'm playing Match Game ' 79 here...)

snowwego
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

that is so true what you said about the sleep thing. my girl let me sleep the morning I arrived and she awakened me with a nice warm cup of tea. Get an am woman to do that. IN fact I ran into a woman at a gas station here, who was driving a bmw. She had a fit because my big truck was blocking her pump and she went off on me saying why do you need a all that space. She couldn't undrstand that my dump truck is 27 feet long. Being this is a local station, and the people know me. THey also know that I am marrying a rw/uw. I finally had heard enough and said to her "you know you are the exact reason, I went to russia for a wife". she said nothing more. end story. By the way, the poeple at the station were rolling on the ground. Rick
Quasimoto
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

One of the better and insightful posts I have read. It never felt too long. Glad to see you have shopped and found not only the best value, but the best woman in the process.

Steve

Oscar
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

There isn't anything "flammable" in your post that I can see..

I think so much of this endeavor is timing.. meeting the right woman at the right time after having had the right life experiences.. Like you say, a year ago you wouldn't have probably given Victoria the time of day.  In my opinion, it is our responsibility to MAKE ourselves the people we need to be to be able to take advantage of "timing", be ready for it, and it seems that you went to that effort to do so Mark which is not always easy.. Many don't.  
There are many men who I feel go to places like the FSU, South America, Asia, etc., because they are looking for the women in these places to "complete them", make them happy, fix their lives in a sense, but what they don't perhaps understand is that they should really be more complete before going!  In relationships, two halves rarely make a whole.. two whole people make for a whole relationship..

My 2 cents

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: