Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 01, 2024, 10:40:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wildlife  (Read 4381 times)
Jimmy
« on: December 27, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I know that many of you have appreciated my observations since living here for the last year and since I am a hunter (both kinds of deer/dear) it is interesting that I do not see much signs of wildlife here.  I live in Slavutich and travel back and forth between Kiev and Chernigiv quite often and have never seen a deer or any small animals such as rabbits or forest animals although this area is laden with pine trees and other hardwoods.  I would expect to see some signs of smaller animals since I drive frequently at night when these animals are feeding and active.  I have never seen anything cross my headlights at night and I find that very unusual.  I also have not seen any wild ducks or geese migrating although this area is rich in waterways, lakes, and ponds.  There is ample feed in the fields to support a tremendous amount of wildlife but I have not seen much.

The town I live in has numerous pine trees throughout the city and I have never seen a squirrel (sp).

I am from Washington state and live in a very populated area and normally see deer, coyotes, rabbits, ducks, geese, and other wildlife.  The only reason I can think of for the lack of wildlife in this area of Ukraine is that the locals have overhunted them for food.

Maybe some of you that have traveled to other areas of the FSU have had different experiences.  I wouldn't mind a few observations from the board.

Now when it comes to the other kind of dear hunting there is an abundance.  This is a paradise for those dear hunters!!  LOL.

Best Regards,

Jimmy
Ukraine, Kiev Oblast

John F
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Wildlife, posted by Jimmy on Dec 27, 2002

Hi Jimmy,

I noticed the same thing in Crimea, the Yalta area.  Other than the pigeons that were always around the apartment I saw no wildlife.  Once while at the Nititsky (sp?) Gardens I noticed some pinecones that had been worked on by a squirrel, but I never saw the squirrel.  Even birds were scarace.  It was my guess that anything that could be caught and eaten was.

I also didn't see any fish in the Black Sea even though I must have been swimming in it at least 10 times.  I live near the Florida coast and I always see fish in the surf here.

Regards,
John

tim360z
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Hi Jimmy,
  I had not thought of that.  But that does make sense and I just had not put 2+2 together.  To a few girls I had mentioned that I live close to alot of wildlife and the fact that deer usually stop by my back yard....all had commented that, " Did I catch them for food".  I had originally thought they were joking.  Now,  I am not so sure.

KenC
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Jimmy,
Take your thinking a step farther.  How many domestic animals (cats & dogs) do you see roaming loose?  Hungry people will (and should) eat whatever food is available.
KenC
Jimmy
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: not so Wildlife, posted by KenC on Dec 27, 2002

Ken,

Actually there are allot of dogs and cats here.  Really many cats and fat ones at that.  They are quite pests at times and during mating they howl all night.

I think Russians find eating a cat or dog somewhat disgusting and would not do that even if they were starving.  Not so some other cultures that may find them eatable.  I think everyone here has confirmed my suspicions that the wildlife has been overhunted and now there is not enough left to produce a core of wildlife.  If we think in the US we have overhunted then think again.  I think the NRA and other organizations have protected the ability of the American hunter to continue the advancement of wildlife in our country.  It may be that many species of animals that we don't know about are now extinct here in Russia.  I just don't have enough information.

Thanks all for your input.

Best Regards,

Jimmy
Ukraine, Kiev Oblast

tim360z
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: not so Wildlife, posted by Jimmy on Dec 28, 2002

Hi Jimmy,

Little cold for you???  Wearin' your longjohns???  I am somewhat tempted to agree with you...in any city anywhere in FSU the girls always tell me about the homeless dogs and cats---but never about the wildlife.  Me thinks some critters are considered "food" which is acceptable to eat...and some critters are not.  One friend is today taking a 20 hour train ride to Archangelsk to celebrate the New Year and she is dying to have some "red salmon" there,  which are plentiful.  And although she lives surrounded by forests in Northern Russia...she tells me deer are rare.  SSSOOOO....

Stan
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I think it has a lot to do with "The War" and the starvaion of people then and during "The Famine" in the 30's. My wife is from Crimea and I have been to Mariupol, Donetks, Zapparozia, all over except the western parts and I noticed too, the lack of wildlife. (I think it all got ate) She is always so amazed at the squirrels and deer and geese and ducks we have here in Wisconsin and asks why people don't grab them and eat them all up?
Mike
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

My wife is from Russia and she is always mentioning how there is so much wildlife here where I live ( Ohio ) as if it was very very strange. I took her Bow hunting and managed to rattle and grunt a nice Buck into shooting range and now she wants to be a bow hunter.

Mike

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: