Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 03, 2024, 12:34:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Social Security Number  (Read 6070 times)
Reagan
« on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

How long does it take for a Russian woman on a fiancee' visa to get her social security number and what is the procedure for getting it?

Thanks in Advance

Cheers

Kevin

BillZ
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Social Security Number, posted by Reagan on Dec 30, 2002

We got married, and then went to the social security office with passport, I-94 (which is stapled in passport) and copy of marriage license.  Social security issued her a social security number (without right to employment because she had no EAD) in her married name.  However, when we applied for AOS, the INS said it was improper for her to have received a social sercurity number in her married name unitl after her AOS interview.  Anyone else with a similar experience?
micha1
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

No problems at all,  you go to the office of the SS and they send it to you, 2-3 weeks max.
Anyway, it is how it happen with me, but it was a long time ago in Westbury, NY.
mdante99
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Your fiancee is entitled to temporary EAD card, a work permit; take that to SS office, they will issue her a SS number immediately; the actual card comes in the mail in 2-3 weeks.

Mark

Reagan
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Social Security Number, posted by mdante99 on Dec 30, 2002

How does she get the temporary EAD card?

Thanks

Kevin

mdante99
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Temp EAD card, posted by Reagan on Dec 30, 2002

Hi Kevin:

She can get a temp EAD card at the INS office; it is issued on the spot and it is free. This authorizes her to work for 90 days; before its expriation you apply for AOS, at whcih time they give you another one.

It is variable with SS offices; some ask for EAD card, some don't; mine did.

Mark

Mark

Jeff
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Social Security Number, posted by mdante99 on Dec 30, 2002

You shouldn't need the work permit to get a SS #.  I've heard that some offices are too lazy to look it up, and I had to tell the lady at the SS office here to look it up because she wasn't going to issue my wife one at first.
Mike
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

My wife got hers a couple of weeks ( 2 or 3 weeks, I can't remember ) after applying at our local SS office. I think all she needed was her passport showing her I-95 stamp ( or whatever that  stamp is called )that the INS puts in her passport when she arrived at the American airport.

Mike
I'm still half asleep.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: