Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 06, 2024, 05:30:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cost of international passport for RW?  (Read 11238 times)
Burt
« on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I'm told by the husband of an RW that she had to pay the govt dearly to obtain a Russian international passport to leave the country.  I haven't heard this kind of expense mentioned on the board, and Archive search turned up nothing.  

Anybody have any experience with this?

RW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Cost of international passport for RW?, posted by Burt on Dec 31, 2002

Yes, it is the same situation in Russia as Dan posted for Ukraine. Does not cost much if you willing to wait, will have to pay extra $$ to expediate it.

However, situation for Russians in Kazakhstan is TOTALLY different. They are considered as ethnic minority there now and have a lot of beuracratic barriers to overcome dealing with everything - immigration, legal documents,  enrollment in Universities, etc. Luckily, she found someone to pay to to have her documents done. I have heard stories of famlies who could not move back to RUSSIA because officials could not "find" their documents.

Russian Wife

Dan
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Cost of international passport for RW?, posted by Burt on Dec 31, 2002

Just as here in the US, the cost is variable depending on how quickly you need it. Minimum cost is approximately $20 and can take as long as several months to receive it. Expedited service can cost as much as $100 and it can be received in a matter of days.

The situation may be different in Russia or other FSU countries.

I hope this helps.

- Dan

Burt
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to In Ukraine . . ., posted by Dan on Dec 31, 2002

Hi Dan --  Thanks much for your input.  

However, the situation I was told about was an RW from Khazakstan (sp?) who had to pay $2K to get an international Russian passport.  According to the American husband it was the price she had to pay to get out, under the govt's theory that "you're going to America and not coming back, so we'll squeeze some heavy $$ out of you before you leave."  

There's no doubt in my mind the husband is telling an honest story, but I'm not certain whether his wife was the victim of an unusual scam by a local official or whether her experience just might be the norm.

I've never heard of this kind of rip off before.

BrianN
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: In Ukraine . . ., posted by Burt on Dec 31, 2002

Maybe the husband had his head in the sand or something, but to leave Russia, to come here, is at the behest of the US Government authorities, not those of the fsu.

This sounds like a typical russian attorney visa/passport scam to me.

Burt
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Burt, that doesn't sound right., posted by BrianN on Dec 31, 2002

Hi Brian --  Thanks for the response.  Maybe I can explain things better with a few more details. I'm new to all this, but this is the way I understand it --  Let me try.

I just returned from Russia (first trip, went solo) and met several Russian ladies there.  I gathered from our discussions that all Russians have at a minimum an internal "passport", sort of a national ID card that also allows domestic travel.  Maybe I'm wrong about this.  

I also gathered, and I'm operating on limited knowledge,  that the internal passport is not good enough for international travel, i.e., it must somehow be converted or stamped or something so it is good not only for domestic travel but for international travel as well.  I presume that without this official act by a govt official to enhance the domestic passport, or something like that, it will not be accepted by other countries as an official Russian passport. In fact, foreign travel might require an entirely separate passport, as we have here.  I don't know.

Anyway, the point is--  the money paid by my friend's RW had nothing to do with securing a visa to get to America.  According to him, it was paid to a Russian govt official or a middleman to get the Russian international passport.  (Is this possibly the scam you mentioned?)  The husband is a very straight guy, married to his RW for five years, and that's what he told me.  I admit it's possible he doesn't clearly understand the situation because his wife took care of the problem in Russia and paid the expense herself.  

So if you know of a situation where a RW had to make a big payoff to get a Russian international passport I'd like to hear of it.  

Thanks again for chipping in.  It certainly helps. In fact, if your observation about a passport scam fits this situation I think I'll call my potential travel mate in Russia and warn her about it.  She's getting ready to apply for an international passport and she might get scammed, too.  (She's very smart, but she's a small town lady with no big city experience and possibly could get taken in.)

Dan
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Burt, that doesn't sound right., posted by Burt on Jan 1, 2002

And I am almost certain it is the same for Russia, though some of the Central Asian countries may differ - there are definitely two types of passports - an internal passport and an international passport. They are two distinctly different documents.

Best way to think of the internal passport is sort of like our driver's licenses or state-issued ID cards. They are good for traveling within the country and they also show some other information such as marital status and place of residence.

The international passport conforms to the standards of all international passports and has basic identifying information and photo and pages for visas and entry/exit stamps.

In the case of Ukraine, the passport covers are different colors.

As for payoffs - it is not at all uncommon for authorities to try to get something extra from someone if they know (or think they know) that person will be traveling to a western country and has a benefactor.

I cannot recall which central Asian country it is, but one of them did recently enact some legislation that requires fiances of western men to pay a VERY large sum of money (in the $ 1000s) for the privilege of her leaving that country. I simply do not recall all the details as to why it was enacted and such - but there were some interesting write-ups on this board about it. Perhaps that is what is going on in the case you bring up - I don't know.

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance.

Now to retire for the evening after seeing the New Year in at a downtown Denver party with Olya. Last year, we did the same thing in Lviv. Both were cold and snowy. Next year, I think I'll make plans for Florida or the Caribbean!

Happy New Year to all!!

- Dan

BrianN
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Burt, that doesn't sound right., posted by Burt on Jan 1, 2002

This "internal passport" thing sounds very new to me, and it is definitely something that I need to clarify with the RW that I've been interested in for the last 6 months.

Thanks,
BrianN

BrianN
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

Hey... Jack, or anyone that knows something more....

It's obvious who's hanging out with a CPU & monitor combo  tonight, instead of a beautiful RW watching the ball drop in nyc on TV.

anyway... h e l p !

Sorry Judge, but you got me here.  I know everything about scams and nothing about real procedures at this point... I must defer to more experienced folks..

I'm sure they'll ring in after a few hours r/r from New Years...

heh heh...

Jack
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to JACK - H E L P, posted by BrianN on Jan 1, 2002

And good morning to all!

And we American's thought we knew how to party! Were light weights when you compare what can happen when you get a group of Russian ladies involved with planning a New Years party.

Brian and Burt regarding this Russian passport. The Russian passport will also vary in price according to how long it takes to get it.

It is only my guess that the individual official, no matter if it is Russian, Ukraine or Kazakhstan official, can play games if they choose and decide if they want to make it easy and or if they want to accept a bribe.

I currently know of a man whose fiancee has been waiting almost two months to get her Russian passport. I guess they did not bribe anyone. Then I have heard of people being able to get there Russian passport with-in a few weeks and at reasonable prices, but certaintly NOT for $2000!

I had heard a story some time ago about Kazakhstan raising the prices for it's passports and visa's when they realized that one of their ladies was soon to be leaving to be with a foreign man and for the very reason that Burt had mentioned. The officials know the ladies will not return and it is a source and way in receiving hard currency for one of it's few resources.

My recommendation would be that if a hint of a bribe is suggested, pay it! It is the way of life no matter how much you may disaprove of the act. I would start out with the ole famous $20 and then move up to a $50 if need be and not pay more than $100.

Hope this helps, maybe it is more confusing. The short of it is the passport should be as Dan suggested, a reasonable price in a reasonable time frame, however the offical can really mess things up with you if he wants a bribe that he does not receive.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: