Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 25, 2024, 06:10:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Katrina  (Read 36278 times)
OkieMan
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Blame, blame, blame..., posted by Keith NC on Sep 4, 2005

Keith,

Yeah, I hear you.  According to the liberal mentality, everyone is or could be a "victim".  In their way of thinking, there is no accountability. Changing the subject, but one of my sisters took a vacation in your fair state, this summer.  She said it was beautiful at Cape Hatteris (?)  I believe that is where she went. Take care.

OkieMan

Heat
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Blame, blame, blame..., posted by Kiltboy1 on Sep 2, 2005

Hey dumb ass do you think people should be responsible for the selfs?  Why did this not happen in Miami?

Or is it the people of Louisianan?

Fuzzyone
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Blame, blame, blame..., posted by Kiltboy1 on Sep 2, 2005

I have never like Bush and now he has really showed what he really is worth.
Where was he until Wednesday? Wednesday night he was on T.V. he stated that
he ordered Air force one to fly over the gulf coast so he could see the damage.
He could not see anything in several area because of the clouds I think he said.
Now can anyone tell me what a Jet flying that high saw anything? I am sorrry but
this guy is a big boob.... Today is Friday he finally went into several areas to see
what really happened. What day did this happen? Monday I think...
doombug
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Blame, blame, blame..., posted by Fuzzyone on Sep 3, 2005

"He could not see anything in several area because of the clouds I think he said."

Strange, I recall seeing photos taken FROM Air Force One, as the President was doing his LOW fly overs.  Specifically, an image of a collapsed bridge stands out, taken from a few thousand feet up.

Don't be tempted to lie or mistate things, now.  Next, you'll claim Bush was actually on a ferris wheel in Anaheim during Katrina's visit.

Ray
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Too much wine is right! ROFL!
Kiltboy1
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Sorry about the bad spelling, a little too much Vino

Perdonerme !

Avispa
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Blame, blame, blame..., posted by Kiltboy1 on Sep 2, 2005

Yeah!, Bush should have been standing on a levee holding back the storm surge with a water pail.

He's incompetent! He wasn't able to stop a hurricane!

It's just sad that some people merely view this catastrophe as a good opportunity to score political points off Bush.

wizard
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Blame, blame, blame..., posted by Ray on Sep 2, 2005

I take it that you've never spent time in NOLA...

You obviously don't understand socio-economic makeup of the inhabitants... Rational behavior and cognitive thought are not a requirement for living there, they are actually a detriment...

OkieMan
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Ray,

I share many of your feelings. Unfortunately, there is a massive movement to "blame Bush" for everything.  Believe me, even though this tragedy should not be politicized, it is.  Also, when you get that many people in one area who have been in poverty and crime for many generations; their mindset is not the same as the rest of us.  Having said that, it is still a terrible tragedy, and to some extend, I do believe the response time has not been up to our expectations.  But, remember, many of the National Guard units are deployed fighting for our freedom.  So, naturally, we are indeed stretched too thin.  I sincerely hope that some new assessments can be made to improve our response time in the future.  But, in my opinion, there should be some serious attention paid to how and where New Orleans is rebuild.  To build a city in a known marshy, swampy area below sea level; how crazy is that?  But, it all started about 300 hundred years ago.  Hey, let's blame the French!! That works for me! ha  No seriously, we have to do something and quickly.  The entire gulf area is too important.  We have our largest port in New Orleans, and many others close by.  I guess Mother Nature did what the terrorists couldn't!  Now, that's creepy!

OkieMan

surfscum
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

First, my heart breaks for the people suffering in NO and all the other areas affected by Katrina.

As I'm watching this on TV I'm having flashbacks to the LA riots of the 90's: people come to help you and you shoot at them? You live in a bowl below sea level, a hurricane is coming and you don't leave? You burn your city and blame others? I know it is a minority, (oops, I can't say that) a small percentage of the population doing these things, but why don't these people do something about their situation?  (That's a rhetoical question which I'll answer in a minute.) AND THE FIRST LINE OF RESPONSIBILITY IS WITH THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS!!!!!!  Then the state, then Fed's.  And it's the State National Guard, so it has to be called out by the state Governor, not the President. There's a huge gato encerrado with the NO mayor, I'll lay money on that.

To answer my earlier question, the reason these people aren't helping themselves is because they depend on government handouts. THey have lost the ability to think for and take care of themselves.  When we go to a National Park, we're told not to feed the animals: why is the human animal any different? Se we're just seeing the results of government programs that never give people an incentive to get off those programs.

Anyway, it's great to hear the outpouring of donations and support from around the country and to hear of those who did all they could to help their families and others in this crisis time.

Keith NC
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Well said, Ray!, posted by surfscum on Sep 2, 2005

Surfscum,

Those are excellent points.  If people live by the Government then they die by the Government.  I am true believer in self reliance.  I don't depend on the Government for anything if I have anything to do with it.  Alot of these people lost the ability to take care of themselves because like you said they were dependent on the Government.  I hope in the future the young people that survived will be more independent and rely more on their self preservation to survive in the future.

The Mayor down there is no Guliani for sure.  He has shown no leadership.  The only thing he has done is cry and whine about Bush.  Why even have a Mayor if it is the sole responsiblity of the President.  I have never seen so much incompetence in a city or state in my life.  

Keith

stefang
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Well said, Ray!, posted by Keith NC on Sep 3, 2005

[This message has been edited by stefang]

Guliani did not have his whole city wiped out. The New Orleans mayor is worthless in proving he did not try to get people out that wanted help. To compare the two is impossible, if a 9.0 earthquake hit New York and leveled the city Guliani would of been powerless. Having two buildings destroyed is nothing compared to a hurricane that just slammed a 400 by 200 mile area. 3500 people died because of what happened but it did not displace over a million people. Local Mayors and Governors don't have the resources to handle such a disaster on their own that is what FEMA a disgrace was made for. I want to edit here and point out that the continuing rise of the federal powers and weakening state powers has made it virtually impossible for states to handle their own disasters anymore. In the past states had more rights to run their own policies but today the Feds continue to take away state rights and state funding by draining taxpayers for Federal gain at states expense.

Bush is a failure as long as he allows the director of FEMA continue to collect a paycheck.

Mistakes where made from the beginning from the mayor who did not try to move the needy, to the state level in not being ready, to the last line the federal government always proving they are overpaid. Most of these looters are your typical criminals and it did not help that precincts released prisoners from jails instead of moving them farther north. After Walmart allowed people to get basic necessities news crews caught the local police who were supposed to suprvise the giveaway actually steal TVs and jewelry. How can you have peace in a city if the keepers of peace are commiting the same crimes.

Mississipi Governor asked Bush to recall his National Guard troops from Iraq for this upcoming hurricane before it hit but Bush told him there were plenty of troops to help from other states. Bush's own Republicans are seeing he failed but you can barely get a squeek from him because he is never willing to admit he has failed and this proves that he is no leader. Where are these other state troops and why weren't they ready to offer support? The truth is the government wasn't prepared again as usual even after most private industries were warning this could be the greatest disaster to date.

Why was Red Cross blocked from delivering food and water? They were turned back for the reason they could be in harms way. Every day people have no food or water, the chances increase they will have to become stronger predators increasing the chance of rioting and killing for basic necessities. If the Red Cross were allowed to help it would of showed how worthless FEMA has been to date.

Keith NC
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Well said, Ray!, posted by stefang on Sep 3, 2005

Stefang,

I am not comparing the terroist attack on the WTC  with  Hurricane Katrina.  Both were terrible events.  Hurricane Katrina will be far worse when it is all said and done.  Although both regrettably happened.

I was talking about the leadership skills of the Mayor of NO and the former Mayor of NY City.  Regardless I never saw any leadership from the Mayor of NO taking charge of the situation on TV.  

Keith

stefang
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Well said, Ray!, posted by surfscum on Sep 2, 2005

I just heard they found 80 people dead in a retirement home. Do you ever think that many of these people could not flee? Your right, the Mayor really messed up and seems to be showing it by blaming everybody but himself. When they have city buses under water not being used it shows incompetence.

I blame the whole government. You know why? They take roughly 5 months of wages in taxes from Americans and when such a tragedy was slowly unfolding the whole system failed from local all the way to federal. They need to see their wages and benefits cut across the board. So many resources were wasted that could of been used. We can't help victims until weeks later but we can invade another country on a days notice, seems to me I see where are taxes went.

Some of the oil companies already are getting back online. Seems businesses know what to do but our government is really sad for what we pay.

doombug
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Hurricane Katrina, posted by OkieMan on Sep 1, 2005

Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS.

Gone now.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: