Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 25, 2024, 07:01:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Katrina  (Read 36301 times)
doombug
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ..., posted by OkieMan on Sep 4, 2005

It's a crime, but I admit to having just a little more faith in the country than the America bashers.  Still, I can't help wondering what keeps the ungrateful from leaving.  I'd swap a new immigrant for a whining American in a second--if I had such power.  Couldn't Canada have made themselves just a little more appealing during the last election?  All of those promises to leave, and barely a turnstile spun.  

With regards to corporate greed in the U.S.--WAY overblown.  Nonetheless, hard-headed types think every American corporation is an Enron in waiting.  

Transparancey International does an annual survey on  corruption in 146 countries.  The U.S. consistently ranks high on the list (meaning, foreign travelers, residents, businessmen believe there's not much corruption).  This past year, we tied for 17th, with a score of 7.5 (out of a possible 10).  The conspiracy theorists might have guessed we'd rank somewhere near the bottom.  Finland was tops, with a 9.7; and the best LA showing was 20th-place Chile--ranked right below the U.S.--with a score of 7.4.  Colombia was 60th; Mexico 64th; and Haiti, dead last.

stefang
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ..., posted by doombug on Sep 4, 2005

[This message has been edited by stefang]

When it comes to economics there are many views, people will continue to disagree. To call someone a basher because he has another view seems to be a problem lately. Thomas Jefferson would be seen as a traitor today for challenging the status quo. Both political parties are a joke bleeding Americans dry. Liberals blame everybody and Republicans can't ever accept any blame.

You are living on faith that everything is going to be okay. Greenspan feels the same way in his old age he feels this time is different and the mathematics of debt and deficits don't matter. Greenspan even said the bubble market of 2000 was different because of rising productivity. Buffett has challenged him with half of BRK wealth switched to foreign currencies. Hopefully Buffett is wrong but he follows mathematics and to him the numbers don't add up. Greenspan follows economics thinking numbers can be bent.

As for other countries GDP to debt. I am talking about our country the one we should be protecting. Relying on foreigners to remain strong to keep us strong is what many including Buffett and Gross say is wrong. Japan bailed us out over a decade ago and they took the brunt of the pain to keep exports growing they may not do the same next time.
As our debt and balance of foreign payments grow it will be harder in the future to handle a shock like Katrina. This is what my original post was about. Another Katrina hits Miami or a 9.0 hits LA and we may not be able to pay for these things. Social Security which is not as bad as Medicare is going to be growing very large in the near future. Today the government has the advantage of raiding the surplus every year but around 2012-17 it will flip over to them adding to a deficit in SS. That is money that has been kept off the books since the Feds don't practice GAAP principles.

Best case scenario. Greenspan is right foreigners continue to see US as safe and don't pull out their money. China India Brazil continue to grow and eventually buy goods from America. America in 30 or 40 years steps aside and lets China take the lead. We go into the golden sunset like Britain and relinquish our dynasty.

Canada has a strong future as long as global demand continues. Oil Sands make it one of the richest countries in the world. They hold a vast supply of water nickle coal etc.. Many students from other countries are deciding to study in Canada and England because of the new immigration laws are pushing the brightest away from our country. My parents were Canadian and I have been thinking about getting a dual citizenship. The difference between the two countries is not much except in the US you can make more money. Canada has higher taxes but with services and the housing is much cheaper. Overall a good paying job in America with good benefits is better than the Canadian counterpart but for the poorer citizens Canada takes better care of them. A lot of American companies set up operations in Canada because the national medical plan is cheaper in taxes than offering insurance plans here.

Michael B
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ..., posted by OkieMan on Sep 4, 2005

An economist? Why, he's a fellow who has been to school and studied money and all those things. And his guess is ALMOST as good as yours.

Credit: Will Rogers

doombug
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to What's and economist?, posted by Michael B on Sep 4, 2005

[This message has been edited by doombug]

A pharmacist?  Why, he's been comparing drug prices between Mexico and the U.S. since grad. school.  And his final analysis was SUPPOSED to be indisputable.

Credit: Me

Y'all think you can just throw something out there and nobody will challenge it.  

That only works with children.

Michael B
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: What's and economist?, posted by doombug on Sep 4, 2005

[This message has been edited by Michael B]

You have confussed me. Since you've used the word 'challenge', you must be challenging something, but it isn't clear what. Are you challenging that Will Rogers actually said what I attributed to him? Or are you challenging the price of drugs in Mexico? Or do you really have a degree in ecconomics and take umbrage with what Mr. Rogers said?
Kiltboy1
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Blame, blame, blame..., posted by Keith NC on Sep 3, 2005

No War policy
No foreign Policy( Except to piss off everybody we can)
No Energy policy
No domestic healthcare policy
No Tax Reform policy

The only Dip shits around here are YOU AND BUSH

Keith NC
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Blame, blame, blame..., posted by Kiltboy1 on Sep 3, 2005

War Policy =  Kill all terrorist and others that want to kill us.  

Foreign Policy =  Who cares if the French don't like us.  We saved their assess twice and what do we get for it.  Not even a thank you.

Energy Policy =  Just passed.

Domestic Healthcare Policy =  We have the best healthcare system in the world.  Why do so many in foreign countries want to come here for their medical care.

Tax Reform Policy =  I will admit that I want Bush to do alot more.  1. Get rid of Death Taxes.  2. Get rid of Capital Gains Taxes.  3.  I would like to see Income Taxes eliminated and instead have the Fair Tax.  That way eveyone pays their fair share.  Including those that are living off my tax dollars paying for their out of wedlock kids.  

Liberal Policy for everything = Complain, obstruct, whine.  Did I mention blame Bush for everything but offer no solutions themselves.

You liberals are so predictible.  You haven't had a new playbook since the sixties.  Maybe that is why you keep getting your assess kicked in election after election since 1994.  Unless you come up with some solutions or new ideas you will continue to get bitch slapped at the polls every time.  People don't gravitate to losers who complain all the time.  People like a winners.  Are the Republicans perfect.  Not at all. But they are better than the other option.  

Have a nice freakin day,

Keith

Craig
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Blame, blame, blame..., posted by Kiltboy1 on Sep 3, 2005

Spoken like a true liberal. You know what a true liberal is? That's a person who alone does nothing ... but as a group decide nothing should be done! Give it a rest Kiltboy, who cares what you think about Bush.
Kiltboy1
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Blame, blame, blame..., posted by Craig on Sep 3, 2005

Craig

I agree we should do something

IMPEACH BUSH AND BRING IN MCAIN !!!!!

NOT LIBREAL, JUST TIRED OF INCOMPATANCE FROM BUSH, BUT I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST LIBERALS EITHER .

Kiltboy1
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Blame, blame, blame..., posted by Craig on Sep 3, 2005

Craig

NOT LIBREAL, JUST TIRED OF INCOMPATANCE FROM BUSH, BUT I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST LIBERALS EITHER .

Kiltboy1
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Craig

Ray
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blame, blame, blame...., posted by Kiltboy1 on Sep 3, 2005

I didn't know McCain was next in the line of succession if Bush were to be impeached. Maybe you should read the constitution… LOL!
MarkNJ
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blame, blame, blame...., posted by Kiltboy1 on Sep 3, 2005

I think the word is "incompetence"  and the Senator is "McCain".   Now can we get back to what this board is all about... finding that special latina...
OkieMan
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Blame, blame, blame..., posted by Keith NC on Sep 3, 2005

Keith NC,

You are right.  Everyone wants to lay every problem, every natural disaster, etc at the feet of Bush.  Every President seems to catch the heat for one thing or the other.  But, I have never seen any other President in my lifetime being blamed for everything under the sun like Bush.  First, we got hit by terrorist on 9/11.  That's supposed to be Bush's fault, even though he had been in office just a few months (at that time).  Remember, Osama bin Laden had been arrested by some country in Africa (I can't remember which country) back in the '90s.  They called Clinton to see what he wanted to do, and bin Laden was released!  But, the Democrats don't want to blame Clinton for anything.  I guess to them it was ok for him to boink all the White House interns.  If Bush passes gas, the Democrats want to blame him for air pollution.  Keep in mind, no one is perfect.  But, what happened to people being accountable for their own actions?  It's more politically correct for everyone to be a "victim".  After all, it's common for the lawyers to try that when a known criminal is being tried for a crime.  But, "society" made him do it!  What a crock!!!  My heart goes out to the true victims of this tragedy.  But, I guarantee you, some of those people just simply did not want to leave their homes.  They thought they could ride it out.  Well, when everything goes wrong-- it's time to blame Bush again!!
Hog wash!!

OkieMan

P.S.  Oklahoma will be housing some of these refugees.  I wish I could do more to help.  Our church and many others are pitching in to help.

Keith NC
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Blame, blame, blame..., posted by OkieMan on Sep 3, 2005

Okieman,

I think the country that Osama was in was Sudan.  You are right they let him go to Afghanistan.  There were all kinds of terrorist acts committeed against America in the Nineties and not a damn thing was done about it.  Oh yeah, a pharmacuetical factory was bombed I think.  

I used to live on the coast of North Carolina and I can tell you that when a Hurricane was coming we got the hell out of there.  It didn't matter if it was a category 1,2,3,4 or 5.  I wasn't going to take that risk.  But we did have those folks that were going to ride it out.  They stayed knowing that they could be killed.

Basically what we have alot of in our society these days, is that no one wants to take responsibility for themselves.  They want to blame everyone else but themselves for the choices they make.  Life is about choices good or bad.  But we have to be willing to take responsibility for the choices that we do make.  In a liberals viewpoint no one is responsible for anything.  Unless of course you are a conservative then you're responsible for all of the Evil in the world.  

Keith

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: