Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
October 05, 2024, 10:47:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Citizenship (long)  (Read 9515 times)
Georgina
« on: August 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

I have not read the board for a while. I thought I will just contribute when I have some helpful information, which was the original purpose of the board when I first read it back in 2000. I know there are several guys here who are interested in the process of getting their wives their American citizenship, so I just though it would be helpful to share my experience with you.

I live in Washington State (Seattle) and it has been a really non-stress process for me.

I submitted my application to become a citizen 3 months ago plus $390. I didn’t need a lawyer to fill the application out. Filling out the application was pretty simple stuff to do. I got my Notice of Action two weeks after Homeland security received my application. The notice of Action basically says they received my application and they would be contacting me soon to schedule the fingerprinting. Two weeks after receiving the Notice of Action, I got my appointment date for the fingerprinting. I went to the local Homeland Security office to have it done. I have to wait about 30 minutes. I was impressed by the state-of-the-art equipment they use to do the fingerprinting. However, it took a while to have it done right. Two weeks after the fingerprinting they sent me another notification with my appointment date for the test and interview, which will happen within 3 weeks. The notification also said that I have to take my green card with me and my passport. I went online and printed out the 160 pages of American History and American Civics to study them. I also printed out 8 pages of 100 typical questions. The date of my interview I went all dressed up very early in the morning since for me this was a very important event. My husband had already reprimanded me days before saying that I really had to pass the test. I was kind of stress out. I have read all the information only once and my brain was saturated with names, events and dates. My appointment was at 7:00 a.m. At 7:30 a.m. a nice lady called my name and invited me to her office. She had a thick file on her desk with all the applications I have sent to them over the years. The first thing she made me do was to swear off that I would say the truth. Then she made questions about the information on the application. Questions like if I was still married to the same guy, if my son was his son, etc. Then she asked me 5 questions about American History and Civics that she read from her computer screen. My recollection is that her questions were: who was the first president? What country did we fight during the revolutionary war? How many branches are there in our government? What are the tree branches of our government? What are the duties of congress? I was kind of disappointed at her questions, because after all the reading I've done, she only asked questions from the 8 pages of typical questions. So there was not reason for me to stress out so much. After I answered her questions she told me Congratulations you passed the test 100%. She also asked me to write down some statements she told me on a piece of paper. She wanted to confirm that I was able to understand, read and write English. She also told me that the last step towards Naturalization was to attend a Naturalization Ceremony and take the Oath of Allegiance. The next Ceremony would be next Thursday and if I wanted to attend. I thought it was too soon, but replied yes, because I wanted to have it all done. So the following Thursday I attended the Ceremony. My husband, son and in-laws were there too. I took the Oath with 100 other people from different countries. I want to say the ceremony was very special for me and I think for everybody who attended it. They really made it a nice event that I will always remember. We were given little American flags and a Vote Registration Form that everybody was eager to fill out. They made the candidates seat in front while the guests sat on the back. I turned back and my little 3-year old was waving his little flag. The ceremony itself lasted about 45 minutes where a couple of representatives talked about the benefits, duties and responsibilities of becoming an American Citizen. They had a video with pictures of immigrants that came over 50 years ago through Ellis Island. I think this was a very special moment for my father-in-law, because his parents came from Italy through Ellis Island. He is always taking about it. Then, we all were sworn to serve the country. It was very nice when they call the name of every country represented that day. People stood up when they hear the name of their country. I heard names of countries that I didn’t even know they exist. There were some songs played on the background like “I am proud to be an American”. Then, they called everybody by his/her name and their country of origin and give them their certificate of naturalization and welcoming them as new American citizens. I saw many very old people receiving their certificate. There were people in their walkers. Here we have a huge Asian and Eastern European community so there were a lot of people from those areas of the globe. Curious enough, there were only a couple of Mexicans getting naturalized that day. After all have received their certificate, we finally took the Oath of Allegiance and were officially welcome as American citizens. My husband gave me the flowers he got and we took some pictures. We all agreed that the ceremony was beautiful and head home for a dinner the American way. It was a very special day and I am glad I was able to share it with my family. I am so glad they made feel like a special moment for us, because it was.

One thing that they pointed out before the ceremony is that you have to give back your green card and that it is illegal to keep a green card after you become naturalized and of course, a felony if you give it to somebody else. Also, it is very important to update your status with social security administration and not to wait until you are in a nursery home.

A highlight of the whole process is that it only took approximately 3 months to get it all done.

If the person is married to an American, she can apply for citizenship 3 years after becoming a legal resident of the United States, that is 3 years after getting your initial 2-year residence card.

There are several good reasons why to become an American citizen. An American citizen is entitled to an American passport, can obtain immigration benefits for relatives that a permanent resident cannot, may vote, may be granted certain important tax benefits at death, may live outside the United States forever and still remain an American citizen, and cannot be removed from the United States. A permanent resident who remains outside the United States for too long may risk losing permanent resident status. An American citizen who is convicted of a crime may be punished or jailed, but may not be exiled or deported. A permanent resident who is convicted of a crime, depending on the crime and the surrounding circumstances, can lose permanent resident status and be deported or removed from the United States.

Georgina
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Citizenship (long), posted by Georgina on Aug 24, 2005

[This message has been edited by Georgina]

This message was deleted
maggiemtnman
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Are you from Colombia? You English is very good .. how did you learn it? Did you marry with a fiance visa of CR1? In Seattle did you experience the same short time with processing the resident documents? My wife is going to apply for the N400 in January and if it takes twice as long as yours did we will be happy. Don't stop posting ... Congradulations and Welcome!
JaySlo
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

I will share this with my wife. We live in the jurisdiction of WPB and they are at least a year out just to get her initial resident card! Wishing you the very best.
Hoda
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

it's rare that we hear from Latina wives on our forum, and I believe, that your post in regards to obtaining U.S. citizenship is a first! My wife was thrilled to read about your success. She recently received her permanent resident status & is planning to copy your success in the coming months. Congrats again and please....

Don't be such a stranger :-)

pablo
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Let's hear it for Georgina!!!!!, posted by Hoda on Aug 25, 2005

I second that sentiment Hoda.  

Thank you for posting Georgina and we look forward to more of your great posts.

Your story reminded me of when I went through the same process many years ago.

I would like to also compliment you on your English writing abilities!

¡Felicitaciones!

CelticUrge
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Let's hear it for Georgina!!!!!, posted by pablo on Aug 25, 2005

I agree with many others. Great to hear from you and the detailed story was educational to us all.

Your English seems to be quite good. It appears that you have been serious about learning a new language since you are capable of writing such a long and detailed post. I'm curious, when did you first start learning English? Did you take classes in your native country? What do you recommend to other women to make the process of learning a new language easier? I would like to know your opinions about learning a new language.

Congratulations and we all wish you well. I hope that you continue to contribute.

surfscum
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

NT
Pete E
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Georgina,
Congratualtions on getting your citizenship.So many people born in the US don't appreciate what they just fell in to with no effort.And how many citizens could not even tell you how many branches of government?Probably over 20%.
My ex wife was told it would take 2.5 years more for citizenship after she got her permanent residency 2.5 year after coming to the US.I think its 5 years minimum from when you enter the country,so if the permanent residency is slow being processed you lose no time towards citizenship.She lost inmterest in applying immediately when she found out her brother would have to wait 10 years for an interview after her sponsoring him after she gets her citizenship.I was told recently its now 12 years for an interview for a sibling and 2.5 years for a parent.
So my ex needs to start the process.I told my step son to try and motivate her.They both need to become citizens.Untill you have that you are subject to possibly changing rules.I will send her a copy of your post.

Pete

Ray
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Citizenship (long), posted by Pete E on Aug 24, 2005

Hi Pete,

I just wanted to comment on a few things in your post regarding citizenship.

It’s not 5 years minimum from when you enter the country. You can apply 5 years after receiving residency (Green Card) or 3 years if married to a U.S. citizen, which fits most folks on the forum. You can actually apply 3 months before your 3rd anniversary. There are special cases for military members and their families that makes it much faster.

For someone who has a long wait to process their AOS for permanent residency, it DOES affect the wait for citizenship. You don’t start counting until your Green Card is approved. That’s why a K-1 fiancée will typically wait significantly longer for citizenship than a CR-1 spouse.

Twelve years is about right for a sibling to wait for a visa number but that’s not bad compared to the Philippines where the wait for a brother or sister is about 25 years. There is NO wait for a visa number for parents, who are immediately eligible just like your spouse would be.

I wouldn’t bother trying to talk your ex into becoming a citizen. Citizenship isn’t for everyone and I think becoming a citizen only for the benefit of bringing your parents and siblings over just cheapens the process. If and when she really wants to become a citizen for the right reasons, she can figure it out on her own.

Ray

Pete E
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Citizenship, posted by Ray on Aug 25, 2005

Ray,
My ex came in on a spousal visa and got her and her sons green card in the mail within a month of entering the country.I had heard the 5 year thing,which seemed to check with what we were told when we went in  for
an interview for my ex to get her permanent residency 2.5 years after she entered the country the guy said it would take about 2.5 more years for her to get her citizenship.
The wife of a friend who entererd the country about the same time got her citizenship in about 5 years.
It just seems smart to get the citizenship but my ex might put it off because of the application fee plus no immediate need for it.I guess I should quit thinking about it.
Also,my step son,if he does not get his US citizenship and passport will still be subject to his fathers permission to leave Colombia untill he is 18 plus at 16 I belive it is he needs to register for Colombian military service and have that document to leave colombia I am told.He is 14 now.I guess I am more concerned for him.

Pete

Ray
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Citizenship, posted by Pete E on Aug 25, 2005

O.K. Pete, if you want to believe it's 5 years instead of 3, that's fine with me :-)

Ray

Pete E
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Citizenship, posted by Ray on Aug 25, 2005

I was just telling you what the guy at INS told me.Either way she qualifies.And that was not the main point of my response,I was adding some other imformation.

Pete

Ray
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Citizenship, posted by Pete E on Aug 25, 2005

Pete,

In Georgina’s post, she stated that someone married to an American citizen could apply for citizenship 3 years after receiving their 2-year residence card. In your reply to Georgina, you contradicted her information and said the wait was 5 years from the time you enter the country.

Georgina was correct and you were wrong. In fact, I explained this all to you in great detail 2 years ago on this same forum. I even gave you the links to the correct info on the INS Web site, but you still wouldn’t believe me. Now you are still putting out wrong information. I don’t care what you think they told you at the INS interview because it is wrong.

Pete, I didn’t correct your information just to show that I am right and you are wrong. This whole immigration process is very complicated and bad information can affect other people in a big way. As I said before, you can believe whatever you want, but I will continue to correct your bad info so that someone else doesn’t take it as the truth. Fair enough?

Peace,

Ray :-)

Pete E
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Bad Information..., posted by Ray on Aug 25, 2005

I said I had heard it was 5 years which jived with what the INS guy told me.How he got 2 plus more years after she was already here 2.5 years  I don't know.You might be right.
I was telling what the guy told me.
I like 3 years better than 5 so I hope you are right.

Pete

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: