Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
September 28, 2024, 09:22:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ammunition deals gone awray  (Read 2089 times)
Michael B
« on: May 04, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Take your pick, U.S. soldiers in Carmen de Apicala, Colombia(50 miles SW of Bogota, so the article says) or U.S. Border Patrol agents in Mexicali, Mexico.

Soldiers win (if that's the correct term), they were caught with 40,000 rounds, the Border Patrol only had 1300.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050505/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/colombia_us_soldiers/nc:734;_ylt=AgV0T0ouFPBOYAGVDLkUpIm3IxIF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050503/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/mexico_us_agents/nc:734;_ylt=Ai5rcZCM5shjgpteDbKt5qS3IxIF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Heat
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Ammunition deals gone awray, posted by Michael B on May 4, 2005

One may have been a deal.  The other clearly a mistake.
Michael B
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Get it right........, posted by Heat on May 5, 2005

'May have been' and 'clearly'.

'May have been': What else you gonna do with 40,000 rounds? And some of the news reports are already saying that the Colombian government has viable evidence linking some GI's at the same base to AUC connections (can't say for sure if they have AUC links to those PARTICLAR GI's though, haven't heard).

'clearly' - You see it that way because you want to give the bennifit of doubt to your brothers in arms. I'll go with 'may have been' for this case, in fact, I'll even entertain the notion of 'could well be just a stupid mistake', because 1300 rounds isn't much of a deal and some people are just plain forgetful. Plus the Mexican authorities haven't (as least as far as I've seen in any published report) accused them of having any links with terrorist or organized crime groups.

Still, even though 1300 isn't much of a 'deal', it is a lot more than you need to keep around just in case you're suddenly struck by a desire to spend a couple hours at the practice range, and crossing the border with it certainly demonstrates poor judgement on their part. Let's wait and see what (if anything) the Mexican courts convict them of (right now they are charged with illegaly possessing millitary style ammunition).

Heat
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Get it right........, posted by Michael B on May 5, 2005

Mike,

I was taking to the reporter when I said get it right.  Not you.

But as to my brothers in arms I say this.  Everyone should be presumed innocent till proven guilty.

Even cops!  Maybe the were range officers,shooters or hunters who made a mistake.  

BTW Mike,  1000 rounds is only about the size of two shoeboxs.  When I hunted I ran around with over 1000 rounds of ammo on any given day.

As an Federal Agent I had a  .223 full auto and Remington 870 shotgun. in the car.  And ammo too.  1000,s of rounds.

And many times I had to use my own car to respond.
So I am not suprised by this having been a supervisor.

The Army guys in Colombia may be another story.  But let's let justice play out before whe make judgements here.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: