Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
September 27, 2024, 11:22:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Die Another Day - Traffic & Taxis in BAQ!  (Read 5740 times)
Looking4Wife
« on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Every time I get into a taxi in BAQ, I feel as though I am in a high speed chase in a James Bond movie!

Its not just a ride, its an adventure!  I have had more "near-death" experiences than a "new age" bungee jumper... even at this moment I´m  not totally sure if I am sitting here typing this, or if I am hovering over my body observing myself type this...

In BAQ, there appear to be no traffic lanes, no traffic laws...

Interestingly enough, many taxis are equipped with car horns that literally sound like USA emergency vehicle sirens.  It took me a while to realize that all the "sirens" I was hearing were actually car horns.  Every time I heard the horn/siren, I would look around for the seemingly "invisible" emergency vehicles.  With traffic being as insane as it is, it is a convenient feature since at any time a taxi may have to immediately convert to an ambulance...

When pedestrians enter the roadway (i.e. war zone), you can almost feel the slight accelearation of the taxi driver.  Its almost as if the drivers see the pedestrians as a challenge, and they take it personally that their space has been invaded...

Jamie
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Die Another Day - Traffic & Taxis in..., posted by Looking4Wife on May 5, 2005

As the customer I dictate how I want my driver to drive. I’ve stopped taxi drivers from doing many stupid things driving too fast, driving too slow (an hourly rate seems to encourage this), passing on a blind curve, passing uphill on a solid line. I’ve seen many accidents. Colombia has a higher vehicle death rate than the U.S. The buses may be worse they drive as if it is a race from one block to the next block. You can see the outside maintenance for many of the taxis, doors don’t open, windshield is cracked, air condition does not work you think the maintenance you don’t see is any better under the hood?  Nobody respects anybody. Drivers are constantly cutting off or pulling out into traffic forcing others to stop. The cops don’t seem to care about anything traffic related. The Government doesn’t care about repairing the streets. I’ve never seen street repairs. I’ve seen trees growing in the street but never street repairs.

I wonder what kind of instructions the driving instructors give. I doubt drive carefully, slow down, watch out for the children is part of the vocabulary. Karina was taking driving lessons for an International driver’s license. When I met Karina’s driving instructor for the first time I asked how Karina was doing expecting him to walk me around referencing all the new markings to his car but he said she was doing good. When it appeared he wasn’t going to break out laughing I thought of course she is doing good, I am asking someone how their pupil is doing where the norm is demolition driving.

Engage the Exotic – Latin Women
http://International-Introductions.com

zack
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Die Another Day - Traffic & Taxis in..., posted by Looking4Wife on May 5, 2005

Traffic lights have a different meaning in Colombia:

Green means: go.

Red means: look both ways but don't slow down.

Yellow means: Floor it!

It is every man for himself on Colombian roads. There were at least a dozen moments in a cab where I thought I was a dead man. But I have adjusted to their way of driving and it doesn't bother me much anymore. Just another day at the office to them.

Did you ever notice that no matter how crazy they drive, a cop never shows up? Hasn't happened even once in my experience. I bet nobody needs to worry about getting as DUI in Colombia unless they get in a collision.

Zack

Pete E
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Die Another Day - Traffic & Taxi..., posted by zack on May 5, 2005

Around Christms and New years I'm told the cops stop more people.If they even smell alcohol on your breath,like even half a beer they give you a ticket for like 500,000 pesos and impound your car.But you do not get arrested or go to jail.Seems like a little revenue producer.Also I'm told if you have an accident you want to make a deal with the other party and split before the cops get there.Its just trouble and they will impound your car.
But yes,the cops never seem to bother anybody about speeding or reckless driving,but you can get a ticket for illegal turns,like a no left turn intersection.I think they like to hang out at those places and nail people.A taxi driver I was with got nailed at one.We were near our destination and just paid and left while she dealt with the cops.

Pete

Pete E
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Die Another Day - Traffic & ..., posted by Pete E on May 6, 2005

Seems the basic rule is you do not want to deal with the cops.They are to be avoided if at all possible.
Great public servants I guess.

Pete

Ricardo
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

I agree that drivers in general seem to want to give pedestrians a near-death experience!  You enter any street at your own peril... I just don't get it!  
ricardo
Pete E
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Die Another Day - Traffic & Taxi..., posted by Ricardo on May 5, 2005

The rule seems to be the biggest thing gets the right of way.Cars yeild to trucks or buses but not to people.People are the smallest and  on the bottom of the pecking order below bicycles.In the US we are trained the pedestraian always has the right of way.In Colombia there is no pedestrian respect.Some of our jive jay walkers would last about 30 seconds.

Pete

Ricardo
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Die Another Day - Traffic & ..., posted by Pete E on May 5, 2005

After a number a hair-raising incidents in taxis, I opt to take the bus (the bigger the better) particularly at rush hour, when for sure the taxistas will drive even more daringly.  Having said that, a good friend in BAQ lost her aunt in a bus colision, apparently the bus was broad-sided.  So it's never really a safe situation however you look at it.  Took a bus trip into the mountains, wouldnt do that again... I agree safety doesnt seem to be paramount, and maintenance seems to be - fix it but only after it breaks.
Pete E
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Die Another Day - Traffic &a..., posted by Ricardo on May 6, 2005

The mountains.Thats another story.I hear stories of buses passing on curves.Russian roulette.Just luck my friend didn't get killed.

Pete

pablo
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Die Another Day - Traffic & Taxi..., posted by Ricardo on May 5, 2005

It just might be the Latino revenge for Gringos coming to their country stealing the hearts of their ladies.
Pete E
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

In Cali I was initially shocked how the people,particularly taxi drivers drive.BUT,I have never seen an accident happen.I have seen them along the road afterward.
My first thought,these guys are really bad drivers.Now,my thought,these guys are really good drivers driving in a very loose system of rules.
One thing,they need to be on the ball,looking all the time.In the US you can almost go to sleep driving.Not here.
Lane lines mean nothing,a guy will stradle 2lanes before he decides which one he wants.Stop signs and signals mean slowdown and look if anybody is coming before you blast on through.My girlfriends Cousin got hit on his motorcycle a few days ago.The guy just ran right through a red light and hit him.I am particularly concerned for motorcycles,NO WAY I would ride one hear.Taxi drivers will swere around missing them by a foot.One little tap and the guy is down,then maybe the next driver runs over him.I did go by a scene the other day,apparently the Motorcycle rider was dead,they had him covered up.
But,2 motorcycle rules in Cali:
1.No men alowed riding on the back of a motorcycle.This is because so many hit men,the shooter would ride on the back,another guy driving.Also,anumber of fast motorcycles no longer allowed to be driven.
2.Helmets required.My ex girl friend was riding her brothers motorcycle,no helmet.She got stopped.Thought she could sweet talk the guy out of a ticket.No way.400,000 peso fine.Thats like a month salary.She gets to pay it in instalments.
Also,ID numbers required on a helmet and a mandatory vest.I see lots of vest violations,I guess that one is a little  flexible.

Pete

Looking4Wife
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

3 More things...

1.  I became tragically concerned about one driver´s propensity to continue accelerating (i.e. speeding up without slowing down AT ALL) during the entire trip.  In other words it seemed the farther we went, the faster we were going!  When I finally summoned up enough courage to glance at his speedometer, I noticed it was STUCK on 10 miles per hour... well at least it was comforting to know that we weren´t going over the speed limit... oh that´s right there is NO speed limit...

2.  Not only does BAQ have some of the most beautiful women in the world, but these BAQ taxi drivers are nothing to sneeze at either!  I mean Hollywood could find stunt drivers here that would GLADLY work for a fraction of what the American stunt men are getting paid.  When I get in the back seat of that cab, I almost want the oldest driver I can find.  I know that if this guy has SURVIVED all those years, he MUST be the cream of the crop.

3.  If you take any of these drivers and put them in the USA, where traffic has LANES and LAWS (what a concept), I think you would have a tremendously safe driver.  I would hire any of these taxi drivers over the most well-trained American driver any day.  American drivers are trained on a "close course" (just read the small print on any US car commercial).  These guys aren´t trained, they are LIVING the everyday adventure!

pablo
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by pablo]

Funny taxi report L4W.  Everyone who has ever been in a taxi in a foreign country had a good smile reading that.  
Fuzzyone
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Have you slammed the car door to hard yet? I had one taxi driver who got so
pissed at me I thought I might have to walk. I was afraid that I would fall out the
door that was why I slammed it so hard the Taxi was falling apart.
Looking4Wife
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Die Another Day - Traffic & Taxi..., posted by Fuzzyone on May 5, 2005

Yes, I have slammed the door too hard many times.  I didn´t realize I was doing it until my translator told me.  So far no taxi drivers have accosted me for it.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: