Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 25, 2024, 05:32:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thailand Info Needed  (Read 4110 times)
fishtiger
« on: August 11, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

I am chatting with a Thai girl, 35, no kids, and considering making the long trek. Anyone who has been there, please advise on Chang Mai or any cities near there. What is the economy like and how rigid are the laws on visa's and marriage etc.If you have any links please pass them along.

Fishtiger

Jeff S
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Thailand Info Needed, posted by fishtiger on Aug 11, 2004

I'd get a hold of Malcolm. He's had two Thai wives and spends a lot of time there. Here's his story:

http://www.planet-love.com/wwwboard/search/searchdisplay.php?page=asian&archive=000068&id=24837
http://www.planet-love.com/wwwboard/search/searchdisplay.php?page=asian&archive=000068&id=24937

He also has a web site here: http://www.legendarysurfers.com/

He a nice guy and seems to have plenty of good information that he doles out freely. I used to swap e-mails with him occasionally, and I know Eric (Windmill Boy) had a number of conversations with him.

- Jeff

don2222
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Thailand Info Needed, posted by fishtiger on Aug 11, 2004

[This message has been edited by don2222]

Hi Fishtiger,

I have been to Thailand twice, and the economy is not as bad as the Phils or Colombia.   A one month visa is automatic at the airport.
I live in the Phils, but I cannot see living in Thailand, and I would be hesitant to  find a wife from Thailand .
Just my humble opinion, but I have the impression that most Thai's are very proud of their country, and most have no desire to leave.  Also, most Thais seem very mercenary, it is ALL about the money.  Foreigners are allowed into Thailand, of course, but one gets the impression that they really do not want us there. While walking the streets the street vendors would sometimes shout names at us if we did not buy anything. Most commonly we would be called water buffaloes (in Thai).
Foreigners are called that because we are bigger physically than the Thais, and the Thais may be physically intimidated by us,  but we are supposedly easily led around by the nose. In other words, calling us big dumb animals.  Actually, I talked to a lot of ex-pats in Thailand that are leaving because the Thai government is really making life difficult for ex-pats because they just want the foreigners to visit, spend money, and then leave.
I was also told that Thai women with foreigners were really looked down upon.  It was not acceptable to most Thais for a foreigner to marry a Thai and that only a prostitute would be seen in public with a foreigner.
The food is great there, it is a good place for shopping, and there is a crazy nightlife, if you are looking for that.
About 90% of Thais do not seem to speak English.
Sorry about the blunt negativity, but Thailand is just not a place where I felt very welcomed to stay for a long time.
It really is the LOS (land of smiles) due them smiling to save face. But once you start talking to the other Americans that live there, and after you read how they feel about us in their newspapers, then your perception of the place changes.

I do not know of anyone here at this board that has gone to Thailand for a wife. There might be better boards out there for the information you seek.
Most of the guys here have relationships with Filipinas

IMHO, and my experiences only,

Don

gregas
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Thailand Info Needed, posted by don2222 on Aug 11, 2004

Ummmm Guys are Hollering about Peru, do you know anything about this Country and its women??? I am considerating visiting this country. Can you repeat your trip report to SA, thanks
don2222
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Hi Don, that was a good Post, posted by gregas on Aug 11, 2004

Hi Gregas,

Sorry, I know nothing about Peru. The only place I have been to in SA is Cartagena Colombia.  I wrote a short report about that trip almost two years ago.  I tried searching the archives here for it, but the search does not seem to function for me right now.

Take care,

Don

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: