Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
July 01, 2024, 01:22:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 83 people have died in pre-election violence  (Read 6908 times)
don2222
« on: May 07, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

The elections will be held this coming Monday, and at least 83 people have died so far.

The local word is that there will be violence no matter who is elected president.  Poe supporters seem to be more vocal about impending violence if Poe does not win.

Me ?   I have stocked up on movies , books and food, and just plan to stay home next week

Don

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/FlashNewsStory.aspx?FlashOID=16803

Violence threatens Philippine elections

Terrorists, communist rebels, private armies and a bitterly polarized electorate; the Philippine security forces face a troubling array of threats ahead of next week's elections.

The armed forces have been placed on the highest alert ahead of the May 10 polls after what has already been the bloodiest election campaign since the fall of dictator Ferdinand Marcos 18 years ago.

While most of the 83 deaths so far have been blamed on armed gangs linked to political squabbles, the biggest fear is a major terrorist attack by extremists.

Armed forces chief General Narciso Abaya has warned there was no fool-proof plan to prevent an attack by the Abu Sayyaf.

"We have made a number of arrests and we have confiscated a number of explosives, but there is no 100 percent guarantee that we have arrested all of them," Abaya told a meeting of election officials.

The authorities in March said they foiled a bombing campaign in Manila by the Abu Sayyaf targetting commuter trains and shopping malls which they compared to the Madrid terrorist attacks which killed more than 200 people.

A month earlier the Abu Sayyaf claimed to have bombed a ferry in Manila Bay, killing more than 100 people.

The cause of the disaster is still being investigated, but the security forces fear some members of an Abu Sayyaf cell in the capital could still be on the run.

Adding to the jitters, two men were captured over the weekend trying to plant a bomb at the office of the main election watchdog and President Arroyo cancelled final campaigning in the south over fears of an assassination attempt by Muslim extremists.

"The threats on the president's life are real and nobody is taking any chances as the nation prepares to vote," said her spokesman Ignacio Bunye.

Arroyo is a key US ally who has contributed Filipino troops for the occupation of Iraq and hosted American anti-terror soldiers.

The security forces are also facing threats from a three-decade insurgency by communist rebels, the New People's Army, who control swathes of the countryside.

NPA rebels have promised to kill candidates who enter their areas with armed bodyguards and have been blamed for over 10-election related killings.

The authorities have also been working to dismantle the myriad of "private armies", essentially hired gangs of thugs working for politicians.

Police have marked 44 towns and cities as "hot spots" for potential violence, many of them in the central and southern Philippines, where many "partisan armed groups" operate.

Some 43 million registered Filipino voters will elect the president, vice president, half the Senate and the entire House of Representatives.

More than 17,000 local posts are also up for grabs.

Jeff S
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to 83 people have died in pre-election vio..., posted by don2222 on May 7, 2004

You have "movies , books and food." What about a cute filipina to enjoy them with?

- Jeff

shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Didn't you forget something?Huh?, posted by Jeff S on May 7, 2004

And what about SMB?

Philippine law states no alchohol shall be served in the 24 hours preceding election.

Larry.

Jimbo
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to 83 people have died in pre-election vio..., posted by don2222 on May 7, 2004

Home is Cebu City, is that right Don?  If I were there I'd head to your basic low-end beach resort for the week.  That's not a high value target for any of those groups.

Jim

don2222
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: pre-election violence, posted by Jimbo on May 7, 2004

Thanks Jim, but I am a home-body, and I do not mind staying at home.  Any form of transportation, and any place with many people or with foreigners can be a target, so I am just going to lay low and have a relaxing week.

Don

Stephen
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: pre-election violence, posted by don2222 on May 7, 2004

Hey...keep us posted on what's going on.

Stephen

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: