Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 25, 2024, 11:08:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much do cell phones cost in the PI?  (Read 5102 times)
Matt
« on: February 07, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

Howdy y'all. I'm just curious as to how much a cell phone costs in the Philippines.  Can anyone please tell me? (Please note, I am not sending money to anyone, I'm only asking about how much one costs.)

The reason that I ask, is that for the umptenth time I have been asked to buy a cell phone for a Filipina penpal. (Yes, I know that I should just visit instead of writing to various ladies. But for various and sundry reasons I can't as of yet.)

Anyway, here's the latest written request from a Filipina:
"How I wish to have a cellphone in order that our communication will be easier and faster. But unfortunately, we don't have the money to buy one. It costs 6,000 pesos and up for a cellphone. The decision is all yours. But it would be for you to decide if you're going to send me a check or money to buy a cellphone. And I will appreciate your decision."

My understanding is that a cellphone in the PI is a status symbol and everyone wants one to send text messages and whatnot. That's fine, but please don't ask this Georgia boy for money.

Perhaps one day I will have the courage to post my story about my experiences with Chinese culture. (It ended badly; my ex-girlfriend's parents were extremely racist Chinese. Some of the old posters here will remember Ate Tess, and she knows about how racist Chinese can be. Ate Tess told me, and I didn't want to believe her. However, I learned first hand about so many negative things about Chinese and Chinese culture, and to tell the truth, I don't feel like getting flamed by telling my story, because I know some will not believe it.)

Anyway, I'm thinking of just going and teaching english in Korea or Japan. For anyone else interested, please check out the information and forums at:
http://www.eslcafe.com/

Okay, goodnight.

Matt
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to How much do cell phones cost in the PI?, posted by Matt on Feb 7, 2004

Thanks fellers
greg
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to How much do cell phones cost in the PI?, posted by Matt on Feb 7, 2004

about the Chinese Culture. Don't worry about Flames. I'm sure that your story would help others. Thanks
Humabdos
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

It's not just the Chinese Matt. All of the other Asian's feel the same way, to them we are the "white devils". The Filipino's are the only ones who don't feel that way. I have a friend who is teaching English in Korea he was shocked to find out how hated we are there.

Please tell your story.

Hum

Stephen
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to White Devil, posted by Humabdos on Feb 7, 2004

Yeah, I'd like to hear the story also.

Stephen

shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

I've bought three new cell phones in the last six months, none of which cost over P3000. The first was P1,800, the second P2,300, the third P2,700.

These were not 'top of the line' models but worked perfectly. (In fact, worked much better than some of the more expensive ones I've encountered) Sounds to me like ur potential wants to show off her 'nice one' to her friends.

A cell phone here is like a status symbol. Even though the cheaper phones work well, many Filipinas would of course much rather have a nicer model, for 'status reasons'.

Chevette or Corvette?

Just my opinion.

Larry.

Matt
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: How much do cell phones cost in the ..., posted by shadow on Feb 7, 2004

Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: