Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
July 01, 2024, 05:22:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Returned ~ Trip Report  (Read 1909 times)
NOX1967
« on: September 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

I returned last night from three weeks in Mindanao. Probably the most enjoyable three weeks of my life. I am also now officially engaged. I spent most of my time at her parents home in Jassan, Misamis Oriental; just north of Cagayan De Oro. I took several day trips into Cagayan De Oro, and if anyone plans on going there it is an outstanding city for shopping and dining out.

I really loved it in Jassan. The people living out in these rural areas were very friendly and hospitable. I noticed that a lot of people would just stare at me until I broke the ice with a a smile, a wave or a hello. Then they acted like I'd been there forever. I also had a chance to get up in the hills when I went with her father to harvest some cocoanuts, bannannas, and jack fruit. I also loved the barangay in the evening. When everyone was home from work and school the entire place just sprung to life. People were out walking or sitting out in front of their homes. People playing basketball and boys out fighting spiders; all the little stands and stores where you could get ice cold Coke (IN REAL GLASS BOTTLES!!!!)or a beer and sit listen to the KTV singers. Sometimes I would stop at one of the little window stores and buy a handfull of candy to hand out to the neighbourhood kids.

I also took a trip further down the coast into Iligan City for about three days. My fiance actually lives with her married sister in Iligan and works there in a maternity hospital. Iligan can get a little spooky at times. Many Mulims living in their own towns south of Iligan come into the city for business. Some seem not too happy to see foreigners. Shortly before I arrived they abducted a Chinese business man and were holding him for P50 million ransom. At one point we caught a man following us on the street, we quickly exited into a store, and he crossed the street. He then stood there for a few minutes until I looked directly at him. Then he left. It's not a bad place really, most of the folks were great, but if you go there watch your back.

As for my fiance, Alma, she was great. I have never before enjoyed such wonderful treatment. She was an amazing combination of friend, fiance, tour guide, hostess, cook, maid, and body guard. I'm not sure I could have gotten into trouble or hurt if I had tried too when she was around.

I also have to comment on China Airlines. I highly reccomend it. The service was far superior to any US based carrier I've ever flown, and the price was much lower. Not to mention the absolutely lovely Taiwanese flight attendents.

Stephen
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Just Returned ~ Trip Report, posted by NOX1967 on Sep 28, 2003

Nox:

Thanks for sharing.  And congratualtions.

If you'll go to Illigan then you have more guts than I do.  I consider that a dangerous area.

Keep us posted.  And post some photos for Ray and me.

Stpehen & Tess

HaroldC
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Just Returned ~ Trip Report, posted by NOX1967 on Sep 28, 2003

nt
Ray
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

Congratulations!

But you'll have to quit looking at those cute flight attendants now that you're engaged :-)

Ray

Dave H
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by Dave H]

Hi Nox,

I'm glad you had a great time and are now engaged to a wonderful lady! She sounds like my wife when I was visiting in the Philippines; "combination of friend, fiance, tour guide, hostess, cook, maid, and body guard." Fortunately, we encountered few rude people in Butuan, where she is from. She did push me into a story once and go after a Muslim vendor who is known to be very rude. By the time I got back on the street, he was hauling ass. Shocked)))

Dave H.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: