Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
September 27, 2024, 02:07:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brooklyn's 'Little Russia'  (Read 5599 times)
tfcrew
« on: May 16, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by tfcrew]

Got back from New York this week.
The Brighten Beach/Coney Island bizness district has a lot of Russian stuff you can't find in many US cities and cheaper too.
LP
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Brooklyn's 'Little Russia', posted by tfcrew on May 16, 2005

...Whats your point? Much of the country is full of such crap. Come out here and I'll show you huge shopping malls that cater to so-called "Americans" while not so subtly refusing to serve anyone not of their ethnic background. I'll show you entire sections of cities where the street signs are no longer in English and hardly no one speaks it at City Hall. And a state that requires voting ballots to be in 125 different languages and wants to give those here illegally the privledge of driving. Or a city government that allowed some of it's "citzens", over the vocal protest of a majority, to fly their home country's flag at the head of a city sponsored 4th of July parade. Puleezz. Brighton Beach and places like it could go up in a cloud of smoke tommorrow and I wouldn't shed a tear.

Don't get me started. If I wasn't a form of deputy dawg I would've joined the Minutemen down in Arizona but I couldn't...because in the land of the free I'm forbidden from expressing my political opinion or King George's minions will spank me. Understand this: I've got nothing against immigration but people should celebrate their ethnicity on a small scale instead of trying to build a piece of the country they were so desperate to escape. Put simply, assimilate or go back to where you came from.

WmGo
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Brooklyn's 'Little Russia', posted by LP on May 16, 2005

Yeah, I second that deputy dog.
LP
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: 'Little Russia', posted by WmGo on May 17, 2005

[This message has been edited by LP]

....I'm neither racist nor xenophobic. That's laughable to anyone who knows me. Besides, it's not possible to be predjudiced when you treat everyone equally bad Wink

But yeah, I have problems with immigrants who refuse to assimilate or at least learn the language. If any of you FSU lovin' types moved there would not the locals expect the same of you? Would they not expect you to embrace their culture? How would they react to you, and millions of others from dozens of countries around the world, waging a cultural war on their language and customs?

I have nothing against immigration, it's what made this country the great nation it once was. My grandparents were immigrants but they, as with most of the Ellis Island generation, were eager to embrace their new homeland. They were eager to assimilate, all while quietly retaining and celebrating their roots in the privacy of their new homes. They came here to build a new life, not to erect a duplicate of the place they left behind. It's true many at the time gathered in enclaves for protection and support but they had no real desire to create permanent microcosms of the places they fled. Other than say, Chinatown in San Francisco and a few others, such places remained small in number. That's all changing, at least in California.

Frankly, I don't much care what they do. Nor do I care how they dress. Hell, my mailman wears a USPS uniform, a turban, and a long white beard. He looks like a genetic experiment between Osama and a giant blue jay gone bad. I keep telling him he could make more as an airline pilot, that while others had to claw their way up he's been logging turbine time for years. The sad part is he couldn't understand the joke if he tried. You'd think he wouldn't be very good at delivering mail like this and guess what...you'd be right. There are other places where a night drive reveals so many white robes floating down the sidewalks I get the urge to call Ghostbusters. Whether it's in stores, city hall, the DMV, or innumerable other locals, it's difficult to know what country I'm in. And the last thing I need after coming home from work (where English must be spoken by law) is a verbal sparring session with Apu at the Kwik-E Mart or an angry Mexican kid manning the drive thru at Crap In The Box. Don't even get me started about the local Costco or Wally World.

But their dress is often religious related and so I have no problem with it. Unlike some I'm not on a crusade to spread Christianity so it doesn't matter. What I want is for them to make some effort to learn the lingo. It's not too much to ask is it? As individuals most of these folks are nice enough and some have done very well. The least they could do is assimilate a little in return. But no. For example, I'm aquainted with an Indian guy who built his home as a replica of the Taj Mahal. I'm amazed everytime I see it. It's his money but come on, is that assimilating? As I said, they're nice enough alone but collectively they're an infestation that is slowly strangling a place and culture I once liked. Not that I'm a big fan of the omnipresent rude, overweight, slovenly, gun lovin', flag wavin', beer swillin', football watchin', pickup drivin' white trash either...but at least I can talk to them.

Ah well, love it or leave it right? I can hardly wait.

WmGo
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Just so we're clear....., posted by LP on May 18, 2005

I am with ya and understood
that is what you meant. As for
me I am not racist as it is "against
my relegion" nor xenophobic as it
is irrational.

They say money makes the world
go round. Unfortunately ethnicity slso makes the world
go round. The power of ethnic
identification can never be
underestimated.

romachko
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Brooklyn's 'Little Russia', posted by tfcrew on May 16, 2005

Is there a similar district in Chicago or other midwest areas?
Globetrotter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Brooklyn's 'Little Russia', posted by romachko on May 16, 2005

Gee, is she bored with Peoria already, and the "Disneyland"
complex has worn off already?  Try Hawaii next week, then Singapore the following week, and Sri Lanka ain't bad for the next week...........or, maybe the fact that your 40 age difference is starting to wear a little thin is starting to kick in.  If I were you, I'd be thinking less about Russian restaurants and more about Fan-Jet Falcons getting her to exotic places.  Hope you have a really good prenup, lots of money, patience, a good sense of humor, and can accept failure really well, as well as the laughter of your also retired pals.  

Nobody wishes you bad things to happen, but come on man.............you're 70 and married to a 30 year old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wake up and smell the coffee.  What did you think was going to happen?  Anyway, good luck and God Bless............

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: