Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
July 08, 2024, 04:18:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Words of wisdom from Norway.  (Read 4117 times)
Zink
« on: January 10, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

I'm sick at home today and have too much time on my hands. I'm reading a book about my lovable ancestors the vikings. I came across some ancient wisdom that I thought would be good to share. It's not related to our pursuit of RWs but it might be useful in other ways. Enjoy.

A guest needs water, towel, and a welcome, a warm word if he can get it, and the right sort of entertainment.

Only a fool lies awake all night and broods over his problems. When morning comes he is wornout, and his troubles are the same as before.

Better a house of your own, however small it may be. Everyone is somebody at home. Two goats and a poor roofed cot are better than begging.

A man should not be grudging of the money he makes. Often what we intend for those we love is laid up for those we dislike. Matters frequently turn out worse than we expect.

Be a friend to your friend; match gift with gift. Meet smiles with smiles, and lies with dissimiltude.

I was young once and walked by myself, and lost my way. I knew myself rich when I found a comrade. Man's joy is in man.

Generous and brave men get the best out of life; they seldom bring harrassments on themselves. But a coward fears everything, and a miser groans at a gift.

A big gift is not neccessary. Esteem can often be bought on the cheap. With half a loaf and a bottle I have gained a companion.

A man should be moderately wise, never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is freest of care.

Confide in one, never two. Confide in three and the whole world knows.

Cattle die, kinsfolk die, we ourselves must die. One thing I know will never die-the dead man's reputation.

He who would win a woman's love must speak her fair and offer presents, praise the lovely lady's figure. It is the flatterer who carries the day.

Great love turns the sons of men from wise men into fools.

Be cautious but not too cautious. Above all be cautious with ale or another man's wife. And third, watch out that thieves don't make a fool of you.

Don't argue with a fool, you have more to lose than he.

Be patient with your kinsfolk, however exasperating they appear.

Don't get involved with a married woman, and steer clear of female gossip.

Johnny W
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Words of wisdom from Norway., posted by Zink on Jan 10, 2002

Hi Zink,
You wrote:
It's not related to our pursuit
of RWs but it might be useful in other
ways. Enjoy.

I'm not sure. Maybe these two poems are worth to remember when we travell east:

Better gear than good sense
A traveller cannot carry,
Better than riches for a wretched man,
Far from his own home,

Better gear than good sense
A more tedious burden than too much drink

:-)

Johnny W

Zink
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to I'm not sure I agree ;-), posted by Johnny W on Jan 11, 2002

One thing about Scandanavians, they are are practical. My mother has ancestors from Norway, Sweden and Denmark. I've been fascinated by the viking culture for a long time. I have one book of Icelandic eddas. My personal favorite is Egil's Saga. Very interesting man. I'll take a look at the website you posted.
Johnny W
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

To comfort you when you are sick, I'll give you this, also from the Edda-poems

Not all sick men are utterly wretched:
Some are blessed with sons,
Some with friends,
some with riches,
Some with worthy works.

:-)

Johnny W

Skjef
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

What book is this from? Is there an english translation? Please e-mail or post the answers as I too am very interested in my ancestors!
Johnny W
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Words of wisdom from Norway., posted by Skjef on Jan 10, 2002

I believe it's from the younger Edda-poems. Published 1222. You can find more both in English and Norwegian at: http://home.c2i.net/espenjo/home/ha.htm
Zink
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2002, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Words of wisdom from Norway., posted by Skjef on Jan 10, 2002

It's an English book. I don't speak Norwegian. It's called "The Vikings" by Gwyn Jones. It's published by Oxford University Press. It was first printed in 1968 but it's been reprinted a few times. Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: