Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
July 15, 2024, 03:37:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I didn't just hide out in Cali  (Read 1346 times)
Pete E
« on: June 30, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

I think some of my posts about being bored at my mother in laws house on our last 31 day trip gave people a wrong impression of my Cali experience overall.
Yes I did go to an live in agency which I thought was great not only for convenience of meeting women but because of some of the guys I hung out with ,some of whom are still my friends.
I did venture out from the agency.I went to all the malls(I know thats not risky)Its a good place to use the ATM ,shop,eat,just watch people.I took taxis to a number of restaurants,went to the bank almost every day to change dollars for Latin love.I rented a car and with a Colombian friend toured Cali and some outlying areas(I did not drive in Cali,I'm not that crazy).We went to Il Paradiso,an old colonial estate quite a distance from town and also to a restaurant above the city.My Colombian friend assured me this was safe,a few months later all the guests at the restaurant were kidnapped.
My last trip I did something I have told others not to do.My wifes minister and also a political candidate took me on a whirlwind 24 hour tour of cities near Cali and up to 70 miles from Cali.We stopped for him to lead church services and check in with his political volunteers.He did not win in his run for the comera??,(district legislature) but one of his political associates won a seat to the Colombian national Senate.He assured me it was absolutely safe.It seemed so where we went.
I did go to the downtown shopping district briefly a couple of times but when my wife went for extended shopping she advised me not to go and dressed down herself.She did get her cell phone ripped off down there.
Most days we would hang around the house and maybe go out once to a mall,restaurant or supermarket.It just got a little boring not doing too much.When I said I would do more except for safety concerns I would liked to have just walked and wander around sighteeing.I  did not do that on the advice of people who should know.I could have spent more time in safer areas like Avenida Sexta but didn't just go do it on my own.I would have liked to have taken a side trip to Cartegena (been there) or Santa Marta(want to go).My wife just wanted to be with her family.We have an agreement for this year.She is going to Cali for 3 weeks in July.We will go back in December and she can go as early as she wants to be with her family but I don't want to spend over 2 weeks max there.She also agreed to a side trip.I am thinking Santa Marta.I would like to do a major side trip every year seeing most of South America eventually.
I have actually considered living in Cali.My wife would love it,she would rather live there than here.But I would find it limiting under present circumstances.I would like to just get in the car a drive,which could get me in to trouble there.Also I think anybody who appears to have money,as in driving a nice car or living in a nice house is at risk as the bad guys get you figured out over time I think.When I found out that the 18,000 sq.ft.Crystall Palace was worth perhaps only $400,000 or so,about half what my present house is It got me fantisizing.But not now,under present circumstances.
I also like water.I Could maybe see living somewhere in the Cartegena to Santa Marta area eventually if I thought it was safe.
About my spanish,I guess I got lucky finding a wife who spoke some (and now pretty good english)I do wish I could speak better for when I visit,and if I ever lived there I would finaly be motivated enought to learn,plus I think it is much easier when you are in the culture that speaks the language to pick it up.
Speaking of english.My 11 year old step son Sebastian now speaks very good english.He graduated fron elementary school 2 weeks ago .He was the most honored kid (honor roll and a couple other awards)at the graduation.He is very intelligent.His teachers were amazed how quickly he learned english and loved him because he is so polite and such a good student.His primary teacher was crying when she said goodby to him.
I try to limit myself to sharing my experience but do get off in to opinion,particularly about situations in Colombia that I think they need to change.I try to not be reactive and negative when somebody seems to be trying to find fault with anything I do or say because we have different opinions. Sometimes I react also and fuel the negativity myself.
About time on the computer,I don't think it is taking much time away from my wife but is taking time away from my work.I will post alot more,as in recently if I am not too busy.
We were watching a replay of the Brazil-Germany soccer game this morning.My wife was lying back in her red night gown.She looks really good to me.No way I would have found anyone like her here.I am glad I hung in there with her.
So I'm out of here,we are going to go out and do something fun.
I wish everyone success in their journey here,even if we don't always agree,and I appologise if I reacted negatively to what you may have posted.

Pete

Edge
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to I didn't just hide out in Cali, posted by Pete E on Jun 30, 2002

Hi Pete = I think anyone who goes to Cali or Bogotá or any place in Colombia for that matter should be as careful as their comfort level tells them.  I certainly do not think you are any less of a man for not venturing around Cali "by yourself" to areas your friends and inlaws tell you are not safe.  

I only hear good things about you Pete.  The important thing is your relationship with your wife and your stepson.  You should take some of the credit for your son doing do well.  If you did not help create the positive environment where he lives and goes to school, maybe he would not be doing so well.

As for the Spanish, you can pick some things up here or there.

You like to post and are a positive influence for alot of the guys here.  You have the time on your hands and I do not think your family is suffering for it.

I will also be in Cali around Christmas this year so my wife can be with her family this year and will try to look you up.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Edge

Cali vet
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to I didn't just hide out in Cali, posted by Pete E on Jun 30, 2002

Pete that was a great post! I face the same "what to do in Cali on your own" issues since my fiance for the time being at least works at job that gives her a Sunday off every two weeks. I have found a couple of groups in Cali that share my interests. One is a birding group, a passtime of mine and the other is called Eco Aventura and is very similar to the Sierra Club in the US. They rate their activities with  five levels of dificulty from day hikes in nearby Nature Reserves like Nirvana near Palmira, scuba clases and paragliding to multiday mountaneering trips. So gradually I'm finding more to do. I did make regular visits up to Trujillo but my friend there is indisposed for the moment. Like you I also want to do more traveling around Colombia as well as branch out to Ecuador, Peru and Venzuela.
I think your plan sounds great and wish you luck and congatulations on inheriting such a bright step-son.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: