Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 09:55:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: adjustment of status  (Read 3398 times)
spike ny
« on: November 06, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

can anyone help with adjustment of status and advanced parole the paperwork is very confusing was a medical required thanks for the help
JunFan
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to adjustment of status, posted by spike ny on Nov 6, 2001

I went through the AOS process about a month ago.  First of all, she won't need a medical exam as she already had one for the K-1 Visa that she got at the Embassy.  It is specifically worded in the in the instructions of the AOS application.  I have already forgotten the numbers of the documents. For all the details, this was the best site I ever found:

http://www.marriagebasedvisas.org/

It will have all the documents and supporting documents that you will need, plus there are some areas that give people's accounts, by city.

A few cities, like Dallas & Detroit, will conduct the interview the same day at the INS center that you apply for the AOS. If that is the case, they give you the I-551 stamp in her passport which is the equivilent to conditional permant resident status. Thus there is no need to file for authorization to work or advanced parole.  At the INS center here in Dallas, it took us about 4 hours to get the stamp. If you don't get the interview the same day, it can be a real pain I would think. The I-551 stamp is the ultimate goal here.  They give that to you while you wait to recieve the card in the mail.

So, usually one has to file the AOS papers, and keep the receipt, which is her proof she is here legally. I think you can get a temporary permission to work stamp at the time you turn in your paperwork at the INS.  If you are not in one of the cities I mentioned, you can wait up to two years for the AOS interview. So, in the meantime you have to file for advance parole if your wife wants to travel and re-enter the US.  You have to include a copy of your AOS filing receipt with your application for advanced parole.

It's kinda like doing your taxes...you can do it yourself if you are just organized and read the directions. But it is the government and they definately make it about 5x more complicated than it should be.

Mike

Edge
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: adjustment of status, posted by JunFan on Nov 6, 2001

Mike - you are lucky to be in Dallas, one of the only two cities who are doing this fast track to conditional permanent resident status versus waiting up to two years.  Hopefully, (not holding my breath), the INS will expand this program to other cities.

Edge.

JunFan
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: adjustment of status, posted by JunFan on Nov 6, 2001

this is another site that is good for AOS questions and info...

http://www.kamya.com/aos/

Mike

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: