Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 26, 2024, 04:13:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crossing the border after the interview  (Read 6138 times)
Pancho
« on: April 14, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

Hey all,
Allow me to preface this by saying that you guys and everyone that has K-1 Visa sites on the web are FABULOUS!!! You have saved me so much time and energy with all the great help and information - I truly appreciate it!

Now for my question - I am planning to cross the border (on foot, not at an airport) after our interview in Ciudad/Juarez. I want to cross over to El Paso and then fly directly home with my baby. I have read the INS website about doing this and it seems no different than the airport customs line queue. Does anyone have personal experiences with this method? Are there any things I should prepare for when doing this?

Thanks,
Pancho

Michael B
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to crossing the border after the interview, posted by Pancho on Apr 14, 2001

I've crossed on foot many times at El Paso and Laredo....Nothing to it. But you said "after our interview in Ciudad Juarez"Huh If you mean the  interview to see if they will grant the K-1 visa, well they might not give her the visa stamp right then and there, they will say come back at 3pm on Thursday, or words to that effect.

Here's an actual 'walk across the boarder' tip for you. Do it between midnight and 6:00AM and you won't have to pay Texas Taxes on your booze and smokes, excuse me, liquor and cigarettes, because the Texas Taxes booth (first thing you run into after you clear US Customs) is closed at that time.

Pancho
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: crossing the border after the interv..., posted by Michael B on Apr 15, 2001

Thanks for the tips Michael!

I've got a couple questions for you if you have a minute...

What is the best way to get from the El Paso Airport to the border? cab? rent a car?

I understand that driving accross the border is not advised. Is that still true?

I know Juarez is a seedy place. Is there anything that I should be careful about there? bad areas?

Thanks for the help!
Pancho

Jeff S
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to ? for MichaelB, posted by Pancho on Apr 15, 2001

Mike's right, a taxi is simple and inexpensive from the airport to the border. I've crossed both by car and walking and either are not difficult. Remember, though, you're not allowed to take a rental car across. Ciudad Juarez is a heavily industrial city with maquiladoras servicing American companies so like any industrial city, there are white collar neighborhoods, bue collar neighborhoods, and slums. That many American businessmen, salesmen, engineers, etc, cross on a daily basis should assure you it's not a dangerous place. Just trust you instincts and you should be fine. My experiences (five or six times over three years) were mostly on business and was often traveling with a female Mexican-American salesperson who lived in El Paso. I also walked across alone at night to sample the nightlife. Everywhere we went people were helpful & friendly. The food was good and drinks flowed freely.
-- Jeff S.
Michael B
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to ? for MichaelB, posted by Pancho on Apr 15, 2001

Best way to the airpor, cab or rent a car? Cab I imagine, only time I went to their airport I had my brother-in-law (then stationed at Fort Bliss) drive me. Other times I used the bus (the bus station used to be about 5 or 6 blocks from the border, I reckon it still is).

Only time I took a car across was at Laredo. It isn't too bad actually. You can take a car without too much trouble (no special insurance etc.) IF you don't get out of the 'border zone', roughly 25 miles from the actual border. You will know if you are about to cross it, the Mexican Immigration will have a check point on the highway and won't let you proceed without a tourist visa and proper insurance---you aren't going to 'accidently' pass the check point. If your lady lives in Juarez proper and/or you have business at the US Counsel office, you won't be anywhere near the check point.

Bad parts of town? Well, understand, I've never actually LIVED there, only crossed the border there, so I wouldn't know. I remember riding the train into town from Chihuahua and as you come in from the south side it looked pretty bad, even by Mexican standards, just like in the US, there's a reason for the expression 'wrong side of the tracks' and along the rail line is really poor. By some people's standard, particularrly if you are from a middle class US sub-urban area, the border itself (on both sides) is pretty terrible, but I'm sure there are areas much worse. I hear they have an "entertainment" zone (wink, wink, nudge, nudge), but I wouldn't know frist hand, and I doubt that you would want to take your lady there anyway. Anyway, good luck at the interview.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: