Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 29, 2024, 12:29:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many meetings before you propose?  (Read 5409 times)
jediknight
« on: April 14, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

Obviously it depends, each case is different I know, but I'm hoping you guys(that are engaged or already married) can describe how you met your fiance/wife for the first time, how much time you spent with her the first trip and how did you leave the relationship after that initial meeting. What I mean is, did you tell her that you were very interested and liked to continue to get to know her through more letters, email, telephone conversations, meetings. Did you leave her as a friend(allowing her to continue writing and meeting other guys) or did you ask her to think about focusing on you. How soon after the first meeting did you go back to propose(assuming it wasn't during the first trip), did it take more than a few trips? I'm flying to cartagena in may for 2 weeks to meet someone i've been writing and speaking to now for 6 months.I know that I shouldn't rush into things, maybe she won't be THE ONE, but there is a chance that she could be, but I wouldn't rush into marriage here in the states with someone after meeting them for the first time and spending a couple of weeks them. How can or should I leave things with her if I feel there is definitly something there but don't feel that proposing on the first trip is appropriate, but want to show her that I'm serious about moving to the next level.... proposal. How did you guys do it? ok, enough rambling, thanks.
steve
Houndog
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to How many meetings before you propose?, posted by jediknight on Apr 14, 2001

***Obviously it depends, each case is different I know***

Yes, that is the real answer. However, let me see if I can give you my impressions. If you have been communicating for months then you both have interest in each other and hopefully have overcome a few hurdles together. Now you are going to meet, this basically says you have ageed to see it through this far. I was told before I ever bought my first plane ticket, on a different forum, by several vets, that to a certian degree the women want some form of commitment from the man at some point in the first meeting. Of course this assumes after meeting that there is chemistry and BOTH want to carry forward to the next step. I agree with the basics of that scenario. If your lady has a romantic vision of her future with you, then she could, if she decides you are the one, want a commitment before you leave. This is only natural IMO.

My case.....looking back....my girl had already decided I was the one before we ever met. That first moment at the airport I think she was terrified I wouldn't want her back as much as she wanted me. She was very shy and tenative about our first hug. I think when I smiled and opened my arms to her, a huge fear of rejection was lifted from her shoulders. I will never forget that first moment. I can tell you she was still concerned the first few days that I might change my mind. I didn't. She was such a sweet, sincere, honest, kind, generous, loving person. But really it was after meeting all of her friends and family and seeing the admiration and respect and love that "They Had" for her that really made me decide she was the one for me.

We went so many places and did so many things in that week it's hard to write about it all. Suffice it to say that after several days all the questions and concerns about what type of lady she really was and the level of her real love for me were answered. At that point we sat down and had a very long talk about "if" we get married someday what each wanted and expected from the other. "The Rules" for lack of a better desciption. We discussed "every" issue I could possibly think of. I left no stone unturned as far as leadership, goals, sex, expectations of roles, expectations of problem resolving, how many children, when we wanted children, how many, working, everything.

After giving myself another day to digest everything that I now knew and felt, I decided to ask her to be my wife the next day. I did have a friend from Cali with me translating and watching for any "red Flags" that I might have missed. My friend and I discussed everything about those first couple of days at extreme lenght. His assesment to me was, "She hasn't been spoiled by the world", and "I really think she can live up to your expectations"....the next day we went to the Old City in Cartagena....I bought her an engagement ring..and ask her to marry me....and I'm glad I did.

Hope this helps, Houndog

jediknight
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2001, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: How many meetings before you propose..., posted by Houndog on Apr 15, 2001

you're a gentleman for sharing your story, it does help reading someone elses experiences. the part about "to a certian degree the women want some form of commitment from the man at some point in the first meeting" pretty much coincides with my way of thinking, meaning that I wouldn't want to lead a woman into thinking that there might be a future in our relationship when I know there actually might not be. I will be meeting her family and friends. Plus, there's something else about my trip that I haven't read anyone ever mention here yet, by coincidence,I'll be vacationing with my mother and brother, so she will get to make an impression on them as well. They were going to goto cartagena, barranquilla and santa marta before I had decided to go. Also, my mother will be celebrating her birthday while in cartagena, needless to say that my young lady friend is helping me arrange a birthday celebration, what an opportunity to make an impression, don't you think. I hope more guys can tell me about their success stories. I'll post more as the date gets closer. thanks again Houndog
steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: