Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
June 25, 2024, 05:21:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crazy times in Leyte  (Read 2907 times)
Minnesota guy
« on: August 14, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

Some of you may recall my post last month regarding a "relative" of my wife who was requesting we purchase a cow for him. We appreciated all the advice we received and it has helped Carmen get more familiar with the board. She says she may try and post some of her thoughts in the future. Anyway, regarding family matters in Leyte, last week we received shocking news that my relative had been murdered! Despite his alchohol consumption and sometimes aggressive behavior he was always wonderful and supportive of Carmen. She went through a lot of turmoil trying to decide whether to fly back for the funeral but now will wait until this winter. Reports from the rest of her family were that the attack happened at night for yet unknown reasons. It's sounding like more of an assassination since it was two men who approached him. One shot him with a 38 and the other used a short barrel shotgun like what most security guards use. At age 59 he had mellowed considerably from his younger years and had been staying out of trouble. The provincial police sent a detective from Tacloban. After conducting interviews they are apparently uncertain of the culprits but have indicated money would help solve the case. The local Baranggay captain has urged patience and says he believes the case will be solved. Carmen of course would like to see some justice and I wonder if offering a P10,000 reward for information leading to a conviction would help. Has anyone else delt with serious criminal matters in PI? Is offering a reward something that will make a difference?     Bill
shadow
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Crazy times in Leyte, posted by Minnesota guy on Aug 14, 2004

help lead to convictions, but may also increase the chances of the perpetrators getting away with it. It may instead lead to a 'scapegoat' or two spending the rest of their lives in prison.

Just my opinion.

Larry in Dumaguete.

Minnesota guy
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Money may..., posted by shadow on Aug 14, 2004

Good point Larry. I had not really considered that possibility. It's hard to know what to do. It's been almost 2 weeks now and the shock is wearing off. Carmen, who initially was hoping the rest of her family would move to Cebu City, is now less worried. From what I hear this type of violence is relatively rare.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: