Planet-Love.com Searchable Archives
July 01, 2024, 04:33:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This board is a BROWSE and SEARCH only board. Please IGNORE the Registration - no registration necessary. No new posts allowed. It contains the archived posts from the Planet-Love.com website from approximately 2001 through 2005.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marriage in Vietnam  (Read 4841 times)
Wes
« on: June 11, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

I know that Vietnam has been discussed in the past but can anyone tell me the procedures of getting married in Vietnam? Things like getting a licence, proof of being single, fees and things in that nature. I haven't been there yet and am going in end of August or September. Just trying to get all the fact here so can be prepared. When I do go, what forms should I bring with me if any. Thanks in advance for help here. This is the best board and even some Vietnam boards that I visited are way behind in information and help. Keep up the good work.

wes

madmal
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Marriage in Vietnam, posted by Wes on Jun 11, 2003

Marrying in Vietnam is not a quick (or simple) process. Generally it is best done over 2 trips, unless you can spend 3 months or so in Vietnam. If you are not able to stay and do it yourself it would be best to have someone who knows the process to keep things rolling while you are not there.
I'm Australian, so the process may vary for you.
I needed Birth Certificate, Single status paper and medical from my doctor.  These had to be sent to Foreign Affairs in Australia to be authenticated as genuine, then sent to the Vietnamese Embassy in Sydney so that they could issue a "covering" paper saying that everything was in order for me to marry in Vietnam.
In Vietnam I had to take these papers to the Australian Embassy to get a "No obstacle to marriage" paper.
All these documents (in triplicate)had to be submitted to the Vietnamese agency that handles marriages to foreigners, along with all of Doan's papers.
In all, we had about 40 pages of documents (multiplied by 3 sets) to submit. (ie 120 pages)
The medical papers that I had done in Australia were deemed no good by some 'rubber stamper' so we spent 2 days going all over Ha Noi to 3 different hospitals trying to get the 'right' medical. In the end we gave up and bribed some officials to 'over-look' it.
We spent a crazy 2 weeks putting all of Doan's papers together. We would take 10 hour overnight train rides to get papers from Doan's village, followed by a motorcycle ride around the district to find the official with the correct stamp. Then we would return to Ha Noi hoping that this time it was OK.(2 such trips)
Once all the papers were in order we had to wait 3 months before our marriage permit was issued.
I returned to Vietnam a month later for the wedding.

I think the process would have been next to impossible for me without the help of a lawyer friend of Doan's who had earlier worked for the department that oversees foreigners marrying Vietnamese citizens. He knew who we had to bribe to expedite things. (They were his old work collegues)

It's all worth it now though.

mal

Wes
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Marriage in Vietnam, posted by madmal on Jun 12, 2003

Thanks for the information. Wow, it is a chore to get all the paper work. Your advice led me to the website of the Vietnamese embassy in San Francisco and they had all the forms and directions on line. Also gave a form on Power of attorney so you finace could finish gettin the documents there without you being there. But that sounds too easy, hahaha. Your advice is outstanding and now gives me a better outlook of what to expect and the hoops that will be there for me to jump through. Have you condsidered setting up a BB like this for Viet-International couples? Just a thought as there may be many guys like me just lost. Once again thanks for the advice.

Wesley
Hawaii

GregF
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Marriage in Vietnam, posted by Wes on Jun 14, 2003

Hello Wes,
  I am currently writing to a wonderfull Vietnamese girl who I will be going to visit in the begining of next year. Any information you might have on the process of travailing to Vietnam or in Bringing her here would be a big help.       Thank You Greg F
Wes
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Marriage in Vietnam, posted by GregF on Jun 14, 2003

Greetings Greg,

Just like you I am going to vist this August or September. I think what helped me out with my realtionship was studying the culture and learning about 29 Vietnam words. As she was surprised that I knew the words and culture there. She told me other men were writing and that if that she picked another she would tell me as she doen't like to keep others waiting and doesn't want to paly games. I told her that I respected her decision and thanked her for her honesty. Well a couple of e-mails later she told me that she dropped her other pen pals and that would concentrate on me and removed her add from the site.

Well just a hint to all that learn here culture and language and you will win her heart, well I may be speaking to choir here.

I just find that Vietnamese women in general dedicated to family, hard working and can adopt to most cultures and learn english fast.

Here is link to to the Vietnam counsulate in San Francisco and you can click on the menu on the left for information about marriage there and what documents are need and visa information on the cost, I think it is $65 dollars. Also the forms can be printed from their site through acrobat reader. I  hope this helps and good luck on you trip, by the way, what part of Vietnam is she from.

Wesley

http://www.vietnamconsulate-sf.org/frontpage.html

GregF
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

... in response to Re: Re: Re: Re: Marriage in Vietnam, posted by Wes on Jun 16, 2003

Hello WES
  Thank You for the information. I to have been spending as much time as posible learning about the Vietnamese culture and language. My girlfriend also was very impressed by my efforts to learn the language and said that it showed that I really am serious about her. She lives in Hanoi and is a student at the University there. She is magering in English and Chinese and is quite fluent in both. If you are interested in talking more please e-mail me at Fortier75@earthlink.net
Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: